Chain and anchor wash down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GREZ

Vessel Name
Slow Groove
Vessel Make
1983 34' Marine Trader DC
I live in salt water, and have only a raw water wash available now, but could add a freshwater line while I'm working on my plumbing. Worth doing? Or is salt water OK with a fresh water power wash laid out on the dock every so often. How often?

Thanks again.

Our boat has been in salt water and also has only raw water wash down available at the bow.

We have both fresh and salt up there. Depending on our fresh water supply and means to refill we use fresh when we can or switch to salt if supply is tight. Good to have the option. Keep in mind if you are in a cold climate you will need to blow the line clean in winter as it’s usually very exposed and very prone to freezing.

Last edited:
I have both raw and fresh water wash down for the anchor rode. You can go through a lot of water blowing mud off the anchor chain. When I pull the chain in that I've cleaned, I like to rinse the salt or brackish water off. This takes only a few gallons to accomplish.

60 PSI and the right wand makes a formidable weapon againd mud. Wish my stream was that strong again. 😔

Ted

Attachments

• 20230317_084053.jpg
    20230317_084053.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230317_084116.jpg
    20230317_084116.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 30
We use freshwater rinse almost always. My boat has access to the chain locker via a small door in the forward bulkhead in the forward cabin and the freshwater rinsing avoids smells in the chain locker so no smell in the V Berth.

I think a raw water washdown for the anchor and chain makes perfect sense. That is what we have and use it all the time to clean the chain and anchor as it goes into the chain locker. Then you can always hit the chain in the locker with a freshwater rinse when available, such as at a marina stop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom