Cortez Nautical Flea Market 7 Oct 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janice142

Guru
Vessel Name
Seaweed
Vessel Make
Schucker mini-trawler
Head's up! ON Saturday 7 October 2023 the annual Cortez nautical flea market takes place in Cortez Florida. It is definitely worth a visit. There are some decor vendors however there are lots of real folks and a few marine gear vendors. It is worth a stop.

Here's Cortez on a chart:
411-Cortez.jpg

When heading west, on the main road there will be an arrow in the road directing you to turn "too soon" -- turn there. This is on the east side and there is plenty of parking there. Walk in through the food/decor and past little walking bridge -- then you're in the main spot.

This is what I bought once and want to find a 3" now -- I gave it the Coast Guard float test and alas, it is gone now.
CleatFromCortez-NauticalFleaMarket.jpg

Say "hello" if you see me. I'm hoping to find a couple of 3" brass cleats (for fenders) and whatever catches my eye. Last year I picked up a couple of books plus some gear.

I'll be looking for that 8AWG wire switch my neighbor needs. It would be great to get some 8gauge wire for Seaweed too -- I've replaced the 10AWG from my inlet to my AC panel. Next I want to upgrade the 10 to 8 for my galley and air conditioner runs.

There is a clean bathroom -- on the right where the marine gear is you will see a building up three steps. Go up the stairs and around to the back (north side) where you will find a clean bathroom.

Also, further west there is the Cortez Nautical Museum. If it is open definitely visit. It's a donation only, so give!! I like these smaller museums. They are fascinating.

Good luck. I hope you find lots of goodies. It opens about 9 until something... early afternoon perhaps? It takes a couple hours to wander. There is a picnic area with benches under a roof so it will be cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Janice, are you hanging out on the Fl west Coast these days?

Yes. This is my base... quite frankly the bilge fall where I broke my arm/shoulder was life changing for a time. I have recovered with minimal residual issues. Still, for over a year I lost my confidence. I am thankful for my Seaweed and have been keeping myself busy with mini-projects and a few more major ones.

The gent who was hired to make my tuna door fell into a 50' Leaky Teaky and is recovering. Falls are not so much fun, don't 'cha know? I did write an article for my website which detailed some of the ways the fellows around here and I have managed to cheat the grim reaper, along with some life lessons. Rules for Life article on janice142

Are you planning on heading for warmer weather this winter?

We will be in LBK by December.

CORRECTION: It's on the 7th -- tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom