Cruising Chesapeake to NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woody5

Veteran Member
Looking to move a Fair Child Scout 30’ from the lower Chesapeake to Hudson River and beyond. Some sailors warned me that that boat was not suitable for the outside passage in mid coast New Jersey to red Hook. They suggested have the boat trucked. Furthermore they surmised that the cost of trucking might not be too much more expensive. Any ideas on those options?

Just watch the weather and you should be fine going around NJ. Look out for easterly winds though. You can do N to SW winds up to 15 kts and above if you stay close to shore, but east winds maybe 10 kts max.

David

Just watch the weather and you should be fine going around NJ. Look out for easterly winds though. You can do N to SW winds up to 15 kts and above if you stay close to shore, but east winds maybe 10 kts max.

David

What inlets and anchorages can you recommend headed north on NJ to NYC?
Inside to Manisquan then ocean to Red Hook?
Thanks!

I have never done inside to Manasquan but I understand it is shallow.

Anchorages I have used are:

Sunset Lake near Cape May
Atlantic City past Rum Point to the NE before Brigantine Bridge
Barnegat inlet past the lighthouse to the cove to the SW

David

Inside to Manasquan waste of time. Good stops at Manasquan
Watch weather leaving C&D in the Delaware bay, can get downright snotty.

BTW, you may be tempted to stop in Baltimore inner harbor. As a 10 mile away resident of MD, we will NOT go into the city due to crime. Suit yourself......

You can take the boat up the New Jersey ICW if the draft is four feet or less. It ends a t Manasquan so you have about a twenty mile ocean run. Just wait for calm seas that day.

Guys fish off the Jersey in tin skiffs...on good days. As usual, bad advice from people not from there. That particular boat may not be suitable for many rough offshore passages, but NJ is no different whether rough or calm. Have seen it just as rough in the Chesapeake.

If any component of SW to NW winds up to 20 knots, you can run right up the beach except right off the inlets you have to veer out a bit...but a depth sounder at 30 feet will keep you well off the sandbars. Easterly and Southerly can get bad over 15 knots of wind.

You can easily run inside to Manasquan inlet...when not sure, stick with the last 2 hrs of the incoming tide and the first 2 of the outgoing and you should have plenty of water. For the best info on the NJICW, contact Sea Tow Cape May, Atlantic City and Central NJ.

NJICW no different than much of the AICW, just as exciting or boring as you make it. Also no more dangerous than any area with shoals. The good news it's virtually AL, sand or mud.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. Is the NJICW a pleasant trip with natural beauty and nice towns and places to stop?
Or is it mostly industrial urban and pollution ridden?
I’m familiar with Floridas ICW, Maine, NYS barge canal, Western Lake Superoir, Rideau Canal.

NJICW has pleasant places to stop. Not all easily gotten to without a dinghy as marinas aren't always near where the town center is. Pretty good Uber/Lyft access in many places.

It is just as scenic as most of the ACIW, the only commercial, not industrial area is a short section behind Atlantic City.

Thanks for your help. Is the NJICW a pleasant trip with natural beauty and nice towns and places to stop?
Or is it mostly industrial urban and pollution ridden?
I’m familiar with Floridas ICW, Maine, NYS barge canal, Western Lake Superoir, Rideau Canal.

We found it to be a pleasant trip with mostly natural beauty (except for the towns which looked like nice towns).

You will have to pay a bit more attention to staying in the channel than on most of the AICWW.

How much range do you have? What is your cruising speed?

If sufficient would just go cape may to Atlantic highlands.

As said if winds are from the west there’s no fetch and the trip is uneventful. If any east component you can see waves that started in Portugal. It’s quite shallow for quite a distance out so breaking waves are a concern. When it’s from the east getting into any of the inlets can be difficult. So you want a long enough weather window to do the entire transit. Both Atlantic highlands and cape may are well protected from all directions and have anchorages as well as marinas. Both have fuel year round.

With no winds or modest westerlies you’ll even see small aluminum Jon boats out fishing. Would not be concerned in those conditions. Unless forced to by limited range would do it as a single run. Through the years haven’t found even Atlantic City worth stopping at.

On prior sailboats would stay sufficiently outside to avoid recreational and commercial fishing. On the NT42 tend to stay 3-5m out. But move closer if seastate requires. Run on the AP and need not be concerned about fish traps, pots and most traffic. Much more nervous about transiting nyc than NJ. We usually leave cape may in the morning which allows plenty of time for landfall in daylight while maintaining an efficient speed. Like doing the majority of the run at night as less traffic. Your schedule would depend upon your cruising speed and desire to leave and arrive with daylight.

Have been draft restricted so have no personal knowledge of NJICW. Defer to others.

Last edited:
There's cruising to see new places and cruising to get places. NJ can be done either way for vessels of less draft than 5 feet. Even then it can be done but vessels that big can usually be offshore in much worse conditions.

After near a lifetime of cruising its waters and working there as a commercial captain, I have to say most advice abut NJ from people with little or no direct experience is worth listening to but then put into perspective.

Last edited:
I owned a Scout 30 (SHADOW FAY) for a number of years. I brought her down to Florida from Norfolk on her bottom but then had her trucked back to Richmond, VA when I retired from the military. She was fine for that trip, although there were some touchy spots. But frankly, I wouldn't run that boat north of the Chesapeake on the outside. I brought a smaller, downeast boat down from Maine to Chesapeake, and wouldn't hesitate to do that again - but there were many times I told my companion "I wouldn't be doing this in SHADOW FAY".

If you choose to go, I wish you fair winds and I hope no following seas.

I many times I told my companion "I wouldn't be doing this in SHADOW FAY".

If you choose to go, I wish you fair winds and I hope no following seas.

===============================================

love to quote you

just finished a long run with the customary best wishes of following seas.!!!!
still cursing that person, had the following seas for 5 days.

Still trying to find things inside the boat that flew in every way.

Investigated a scout 30. Assume you have~500hp and ~200g. Agree with ps and bk probably better to do it inside.
Have done this transit dozens of times and fine it a pleasant trip on the outside but not in a small center console.

If discussing a Scout outboard and not one of these..... wrong boat and I would still go outside in a 30 foot center console in many sea conditions.

Attachments

• 7881223_20210525145923378_1_XLARGE (1).jpg
    7881223_20210525145923378_1_XLARGE (1).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 17
If discussing a Scout outboard and not one of these..... wrong boat and I would still go outside in a 30 foot center console in many sea conditions.

Yes, this is the boat I believe the OP is referring to. 30hp, 6.5 - 7 knot boat. In my opinion, too heavily ballasted, creating a very snappy roll with a short roll period. I also find them extremely uncomfortable in a following sea of about any size. Wonderful boats for calm inland water, though.

This was my boat - real pleasure under the right conditions. Lets see if the upload works.

Attachments

• shadow fay.jpg
    shadow fay.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 17
Thanks, I try hard not to give wrong advice.

Cape May to Atlantic Highlands should be doable on 200 gallons at a reasonable cruise speed in a 30ft CC at a bit less than 120NM.

If not, plenty of places to pull in and top off.

But different boat anyhow.

Be careful/ inside/ Capemay to Manasquan. Lots of low water, if weather is good, go out side. I recently looked to buy a Fairchild Scout 30/ looked in Fla/ Deltaville Va, After fully understanding the platform, speed/ following seas/ etc. I decided to pass. Great boat, comfy for two. Generally underpowered. Just bought a Devlin 27/Black Crown. The Scout is perfect for the Hudson/ rivers/ lakes/ It is not an Ocean boat. (but with right conditions you will be fine)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom