Dedicated autopilot control or operate with MFD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think all of this has been said in one form or another, but it might benefit others to lay it all out. When it comes to interfacing and compatibility between APs and MFDs (or other charting systems), here's what's required for the different levels of finctionality:

AP Auto Mode: This is where the AP just holds a particular heading, and it is done purely by the AP. No MFD required, so compatibility requirements. The AP just needs heading and GPS (position and COG) inputs. In fact Auto wil probably work just fine with only a heading input.

AP Nav or Track Mode: This is where the AP follows a route that is being broadcast by the MFD. This requires an MFD and it needs to send "Nav data" to the AP. These messages are standardized in both NMEA 0183 and 2000, so any AP should be able to follow the route from any MFD.

AP "Virtual" Control Panel: This is where the MFD can pop up a virtual control panel for the AP that functions similarly to a physical control panel. It typically has buttons to switch between standby, Auto, and Nav modes, adjust heading, etc. This can be used in addition to physical control panels, and sometimes completely in place of a physical control panel. This function only works if the AP and MFD are of the same brand because all this control communications is proprietary. And check with the manufacturer to be sure you have compatible models of AP and MFD.

No surprise responses are all over the board. We are mostly comparing apples to oranges as we all use our boats differently and we all have a different mix of equipment and space.

Unless I misunderstood, the OPs question isn't whether or not he should have a dedicated AP control. Question is whether it still makes sense since it means reducing size of MFD. So choice is small MFD and AP control of larger MFD and use it for AP control. Much different question than whether you like a dedicated control - do you like it enough to sacrifice screen size on the MFD?

Of course, assumes compatibility.....

Peter

Might be able to increase MFD screen size and still have a dedicated AP controller... if the latter is a remote. Don't remember if anyone mentioned that combo (although I did see several have remotes).

-Chris

So choice is small MFD and AP control of larger MFD and use it for AP control.
This is definitely the issue. Also understand that a "larger" MFD means 9" instead of 7". AP controller issues aside, I have decided that there is not enough visibility difference between the 7" and 9" models to sacrifice anything else on the panel. 7" vs 12" or larger may be a totally different matter, but neither helm on my boat has room for a 12" MFD.

Garmin Reactor™ Autopilot Remote Control $269.99 URL is Reactor Autopilot Remote Control | Garmin
I have the 8616 MFD and GHC 20 Autopilot Control, I find that the remote gives virtually the same functionality as the GHC 20 including a digital readout of course and speed. One push of a button can result in a 10 degree change.
Check it out.

I’d rather have the 7 inch mfd and keep the autopilot head. I use a 7inch for my main display and like it just fine. I run 2 displays so I can have one at different zoom levels. Granted, it pales in comparison to a pair of 12 inch mfds, but it does the job and I feel confident in what they show.

Another vote for the MFD and the remote autopilot control, sitting in my helm seat and driving around debris and making course corrections is great, saving me from getting up and messing about regularly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom