Dem o Teak sealer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DJK

I’m planning to use Semco natural on teak cabin top handrails as an alternative to varnish. Does Semco stain gel coat?
It will be very difficult to cover all surfaces of the rails without getting some on the cabin top even if I mask off.
Is this a concern?

When I placed Semco on my teak decks, I would sometimes get a little on the surrounding paint/Gel coat. I would always have a paper towel handy to simply wipe the excess off. I never noticed a big issue with a color change. Perhaps you could also just have a rag with a little acetone on it to wipe the excess off completely with....

I would do a test in an inconspicuous place. I love Semco sealer, mush easier to apply and doesn’t build up like varnish. I didn’t use it around gel coat. It may depend on the gel coat condition, if it is weathered and porus it may stain worse than goid glossy, slick gel coat.

When I placed Semco on my teak decks, I would sometimes get a little on the surrounding paint/Gel coat. I would always have a paper towel handy to simply wipe the excess off. I never noticed a big issue with a color change. Perhaps you could also just have a rag with a little acetone on it to wipe the excess off completely with....
Thanks. Acetone seemed to do the job.

I used Semco on my handrails, caprails, and transom. Older gelcoat. Drips and spills wiped right off with a clean rag. Any spots that I missed and didn't see until it was dry wiped right off with acetone. Good luck!
Regards,
Scott

Back
Top Bottom