Disney World Boat Transportation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rclarke246

Vessel Name
Lady Di
Vessel Make
2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Hello, I previously posted this on the recent thread about the Jungle Cruise boat taking on water, but thought that this may be a better place to post:

We're regular visitors to WDW and here are a few observations regarding the operation of the launches that run between the Magic Kingdom and the 4-5 resort hotels on the big lake:

1) These open boats, carring about 50 passengers and are about 30'-40' in length.
2) They are in deep water, at least 8', I suppose.
3) Engines, props and steering are typical of a motor vessel.
4) 1 vessel operator with no crew.
5) Once tied to the dock at a resort hotel the vessel operator actually leaves the vessel, engine running (maybe in gear), with all passengers still aboard, while he goes to rearrange the cueing rope barriers on the dock. This takes about 20 seconds, or so.

The vessel operator is alone in docking and running except for assistance of dock hands at the Magic Kingdom. There is no announcement about PFD's or their location. In the event of an emergency that operator will be left to manage it on his/her own.

As Disney usually serves as a model, in many ways, I'm very surprised about many aspects of this operation.

It's clear that the alligator attack, where a child was killed, took them by surprise and I feel that this could be a potentially larger disaster waiting to happen.

What do you think?

Other than no safety brief, don't see the others as a big deal.

Just like the airlines, people don't listen to the safety briefs, have no idea whether there is a life jacket under the seat or to use the seat cushion, and don't follow the flight attendant's instructions or many other legal/common sense issues. This is not to say some of that is important, but I don't get any of those safety items when I ride ferries that go miles from shore.

Not sure the alligator incident is relevant to the boat safety issues other than in Florida, be aware that if there is water near you, there may be a chance of an alligator attack.

We had a little old lady grabbed by a gator just down the road when she was walking her dog near the lake. The dog saw the gator but she wasn't paying attention as it swam right up to her. Thus my being near water in Florida and not paying attention.

(PS: be careful.... big snakes too!)

Last edited:
Agree with the comments, except for typical propulsion system. It's been 30 years so maybe it's changed but thought the tour boat must of some kind of a nozzled jet drive by the way it was driven. From what I remember, the rpm didn't change much and the boat just seemed to glide in whatever direction they wanted it to go especially when approaching the dock. Never thought about it much until now.

I thought those boats ran on underwater rails.
I always wanted to be the Disney World Jungle Boat ride captain.

I had a friend in college and just after who was from Orlando and operated those boats as a summer job. Smart guy (went on to become a dentist) but honestly the least skilled and talented boater/outdoorsman that I have ever known. He had no sort of licensing, training, skills or real world experience whatsoever.

I took him fishing one time and asked him to back my 18' flats boat off of the trailer, then nose it up onto the beach next to the ramp while I went and parked the truck. He couldn't do it. I had to yell at him to put the boat in neutral while I waded out to him to get in the boat so we could leave. As we fished, I instantly could tell that he had no affinity for boating or fishing at all. I went on to become a small boat fishing guide and he made me more nervous than anyone else I ever had on my boat in 15 years as a guide.

This was at a time when I was working on getting my own license, and I remember thinking "man, I've spent my entire life on the water both recreationally and commercially, I am the 4th professional captain in my family, yet I have to go through all of this classroom work and hours documentation to take two or three people at a time fishing? While he shuttles literally tens of thousands of clumsy, overweight, possibly drunk tourists around without having to meet any requirements at all?"

He couldn't run a small boat, tie a cleat knot (he didn't know what a cleat was as far as I could tell) or understand that boats drift with the wind/current. It still seems insane to me.

Honestly, I hope no one gets hurt or dies, but disney deserves to lose a massive lawsuit over something like this. You reap what you sow.

The big boats are on rails (e. g. Riverboat Queen) so I assumed they all are. Nope. The shuttles are free floating. Hmmm...

Maybe I should change to becoming a Tiki Room guide.

"Where the birds sing words and the flowers croon."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom