Due Diligence Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am looking at 2000 44 Custom Trawler - " The Isle of Lucy" (Not going to post the link, for fear of getting yelled at. Google it, it'll show up as one of the first on the list)

Anyway, I've been trying to figure out if its been listed for 2 years, or if it's been Re-Listed. To me, it doesn't look like it was Re-Listed. So the question then becomes why is it listed for 2 years? With almost a 50k deduction in price over its listing lifetime. Whats wrong with it?

Just by the pictures, and the description, nothing jumps out at me. I DID find, that POSSIBLY, it was a excursion vessel in the GA area. Is that a red flag?

I did find out the the equivalent of a CarFax, for boats, is apparently a divisive topic and may or may not provide good information. Sooooo.... Aside from paying for a survey, how else do you review a boat? Going and looking at it, sure, that would definitely be helpful. Not doable at this moment.

The key word is CUSTOM, meaning its different from anything else. Its a one off. Not necessarily good or bad but different. Its hard to compare and that might chase buyers away. If you have seen, lets say, a Grand Banks 36 in Michigan, then you have a pretty good idea of what a GB 36 in Virginia or Seattle looks like without driving a thousand miles. I can't see any way of getting around looking at it in person unless someone goes on board and does a Facetime walkaround with a phone. Personally that would never be good with me. It does look like a Canadian built Donnelle with more cabin enclosure.

The key word is CUSTOM, meaning its different from anything else. Its a one off. Not necessarily good or bad but different. Its hard to compare and that might chase buyers away. If you have seen, lets say, a Grand Banks 36 in Michigan, then you have a pretty good idea of what a GB 36 in Virginia or Seattle looks like without driving a thousand miles. I can't see any way of getting around looking at it in person unless someone goes on board and does a Facetime walkaround with a phone. Personally that would never be good with me. It does look like a Canadian built Donnelle with more cabin enclosure.

You are correct, the hull is Canadian, I saw that in one of my findings, totally forgot to mention that. The fiberglass hull was built in New Brunswick Canada (C & M Marine).

From one of the Websites I found:

The fiberglass hull was built in New Brunswick Canada (C & M Marine) in 2000. The Navy Commander actually lived in Canada for 110 days while the hull was constructed and the John Deere Marine Diesel Engine installed. He then had it shipped to Florida (see picture without cabin as she left Canada) back to Jacksonville, Florida where he and his wife spent the next 3 years building her from the deck up on a canal on the St. John’s River. She is a Canadian Crab/Lobster boat design, built for heavy seas. The hull construction averages one-inch thickness with stringers and cross sections built of nonabsorbent structural foam heavily encased in fiberglass. No wood is used in the hull or main deck construction. She has heavy insulation throughout the boat, so she is very quiet underway. Most of her life she was kept in fresh water, except when traveling

She's not most people's cup of tea. It's going to take the right buyer to appreciate her. Perhaps a little too utililitarian, a little too workboatish for the typical buyer. If you're interested it's going to require a trip to Naples for a detailed personal inspection. Both the condition and is she a good fit for you. If you like her you might be in a good negotiating position given her time on the market and her lack of appeal to the typical buyer.

By all the evidence she's built like a tank, but as noted above, she is an unusual boat. In some respects quite practical, but in others not so much. E.g., a single stateroom in a 44' boat is limiting, and that long deckhouse with no side doors is inconvenient, IMO.

If she fits your purposes, but you're unprepared to travel to Naples, Florida, you might ease into your evaluation by hiring a nearby surveyor to just do a limited walk-through. They could narrate what they're observing with you on the phone, or even face-timing.

I read "built like a tank" but 16,000 lbs sounds light to me. Also only 25 gal black tank on a boat the is "long range" seems to be out of balance.

As pointed out the custom build could make it very difficult to get insurance so I would check this first. Sounds like much of the boat was a self build so no telling if that is good or bto another. way to compare this boat to another.

I like the lines of the boat but as mentioned you will definitely want to see it or have someone you trust in the area do so.

If it is indeed 16K pounds for a 44’ boat that does seem quite light. Our last 41’ trawler weighed in the mid 20Ks. Custom may be good or bad, even really bad depending. An owner finished boat could vary wildly in quality. Depends on knowledge, skill and budget of the owner/builder. Keep in mind that if it has been on the market for 2 years and you want/need to sell it, you could have a real problem.

It's a Donnelle hull, now Millennium Marine. I'd be very skeptical that it actually weighs anywhere near 16k#. It's a semi-planing hull but'd get nowhere near that with that 225hp engine.
My guess would be that the price reflects the condition. I like the boat, sure like the hull. I'd get rid of that enclosed back porch thing that looks like it was added later.
I own a custom built boat and had no trouble insuring it, I had to have a survey, fix any concerns and the survey has an estimated market value so I just insured it for that amount with no problems.

It may have gone for a swim, that will shy people away. Sometimes white paint is used to hide skeletons in the closet and other times it is a practical choice. Engine room looks tidy and pretty well sorted. As mentioned the design may appeal to fewer people and as with everything it's worth what someone will pay for it. If it was priced at $170k before that is in the Bayliner 4788 territory which has quite a few more features than this one. At $120k then I think it would be competing against older boats like an Ocean Alexander 40 tri-cabin or europa which would probably be more compelling than this boat. If this boat really draws you in then I'd see if you can get more info such as has it sunk or been partially flooded.

I am looking at 2000 44 Custom Trawler - " The Isle of Lucy" (Not going to post the link, for fear of getting yelled at. Google it, it'll show up as one of the first on the list)

Anyway, I've been trying to figure out if its been listed for 2 years, or if it's been Re-Listed. To me, it doesn't look like it was Re-Listed. So the question then becomes why is it listed for 2 years? With almost a 50k deduction in price over its listing lifetime. Whats wrong with it?

Just by the pictures, and the description, nothing jumps out at me. I DID find, that POSSIBLY, it was a excursion vessel in the GA area. Is that a red flag?

I did find out the the equivalent of a CarFax, for boats, is apparently a divisive topic and may or may not provide good information. Sooooo.... Aside from paying for a survey, how else do you review a boat? Going and looking at it, sure, that would definitely be helpful. Not doable at this moment.

I had a similar experience a few years back with a 42' aluminum trawler, also custom-built, partially, in Canada. Without getting on the boat, you would have no way of knowing if the "custom" features put in by the original owner or builder would also appeal to you. I went through a period of chasing what seemed to be really well-priced boats, but eventually learned that if a boat at what looks to be a good price hasn't sold for a long period, there is almost always a good reason.
Doesn't mean it isn't the right boat for you, but I think you need to see it in person to know.
If it is a long or inconvenient trip, maybe you could see other boats in that area at the same time, say over a long weekend?
There are a lot of boats on Florida's Gulf Coast around Naples, so it shouldn't be hard to search in that area and come up with some other options.
Good luck!

Asking whether it's been listed or listed/delisted is irrelevant. Asking why it hasn't sold is purely speculative. For all you know it keeps failing survey for something you can't see in pictures online.

In all honesty, I can tell you that Trawlers and Downeasters are only desired by a subset of the boating community to begin with. Now add in a strong DIY element, and it turns a lot of people off.

I look at that boat and where they say 'custom', I see DIY. Many boats that are custom are hull and deck built to order to varying states of 'finished'. Some are finished by a yard. Many are finished by the owner. If you're building a commercial or recreational charter fishing boat, this is fine. But for most, they don't want their cottage on the water to have that DIY look.

My only suggestion, and it goes for any boat, not specifically this one, is do not believe ANYTHING that you are told about the boat unless you have some way to verify it, like seeing it with your own eyes. And don't believe any back-stories. Every boat out there was owned by a discerning buyer with an open-checkbook for maintenance and enhancements and the boat is in bristol condition. And the owner is now on to new adventures leaving this extraordinary boat available, and it won't last long on the market. See, I can write the BS too. With few exceptions, brokers are somewhere along the spectrum of apathy, ignorance, to utterly full of BS. I know, I'm jaded. What can I say.

Definitely purpose built as a long range cruiser for a couple. Could be a good purchase if that is your goal.
Probably also one of the limiting factors resulting in an extended sales time.
Price reductions are a 2 edged sword. Generates interest, then the question Why? Probably want to sell would be my 2c guess.
1700 engine hours on a 24 year old boat are low. Are service records available?
If you are serious get a survey.

I read, "The hull construction averages one-inch thickness with stringers and cross sections built of nonabsorbent structural foam heavily encased in fiberglass," and it sounds as though she's built like a tank. But none of us seem to have first-hand info about this particular boat. She's an odd one.

Guys, you are amazing. I appreciate the insight. Sorry for the delayed reply. Very good points I hadn't considered before. The price, and layout, would be fine for our first boat, but after your valid points, I may have more to consider when finalizing a choice. Again, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom