Entry cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Certainly. But it also means some of what I paid went to the seller's broker. Assuming the seller eventually paid his broker. :)

-Chris

I *suspect* that the typical 10% deposit, held in escrow by the seller's broker often simply becomes his / her payment for brokering the deal,+/- final negotiations on the sale price after survey. If there is a buyer's broker in the mix, then they hold the escrow, I believe.

A few years ago I got stiffed by a seller's broker for a portion of my deposit... a problem that is less likely to happen if I had a buyer's broker in the mix.

((The story is longer than I'd like to elaborate upon here.))

I like the advice that is given in the other responses. I *think* that boats older than 20 years old are a bit harder to buy insurance for. Like everything else "it depends".

Just learned of a new type of acquisition cost. I am looking at a boat with transferable moorage. I am in the Seattle market and moorage is generally tight here so I thought transferable moorage could save me a hassle. I called the marina to inquire about the transfer process and was informed the "Transfer fee" from 1 owner to another is equal to 1 months moorage to in essence cut to the front of the waitlist line. So that means I could end up paying 13 months of moorage for a 12 month period. That seems like a steep transfer fee to me but I guess I need to get with the times.

Hehe, yeah, welcome to the club!

I paid 4 months of moorage at my home marina (Stockton) at $375/mo while my boat was being readied in Alameda where the slip was $750/mo. just so the home marina wouldn't rent my slip.

Well this thread inspired me, and since I had nothing better to do this evening I thought I would tally up the annual cost of ownership in the nearly 4 years I've owned North Star.
It came out to about $2,300/mo or 17% of the original purchase price of the boat/year. Not too bad considering all the upgrades we've done to the boat and the fact we live in SoCal. I'm also pretty fastidious with maintenance and upgrades but do a lot of the work myself so take that into account.

I don't even want to know what it would cost if I were hiring the work out. I would probably not be able to justify owning to to be honest.

Fuel cost was about 10% of operating costs, meh.

Last edited:
It seems that at any level of purchase price the 1st year added costs tally up to about 30% Average.

I have owned a lot of chevy's and just 2 Ford's. Post 1 should have called it a Ford among boats.

Back
Top Bottom