Florida Beach Marina ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STB

Guru
Hi all,

The marina where I presently keep might boat is going to close for 1.5-2 years beginning in the spring for a remodel. I'm looking for an alternative beginning any time from now until the marina closes, lasting until it reopens or indefinitely.

I'm on the waitlist one place, and had reason for optimism, but it hasnt happened, yet. I thought I had a spot at another place lined up starting in January, but the lease hasn't shown up. So, I'm back to looking for alternatives.

I live in a different state than my boat so I tend to bounce in for a weekend every month, enjoy the beach, do some maintenance, and maybe go for a short ride to give it a workout, But, at a theoretical best, I get 6 long cruises in a year and, in reality it is less (there are chunks of time where I can work from the boat).

The upshot is that I am looking for a Marina with a nice community (vs behind a house), at a beach, within 30-45minutes of a good airport, and that has a good historical record w.r.t. hurricanes and major storms.

I'm a little biased toward the Gulf coast, or near Stewart or otherwise in a good position to head to the Bahamas. But, anywhere with interesting cruise grounds could be fine.

I don't really need any amenities, but I'm not adverse to them. I'd prefer a basic Marina, but I'd enjoy a fancier one if that were the answer. I'd like to be under $1000/mo. But would consider up to ~$1500/mo if it checked all the boxes. And I guess I could go up from there if I needed to. The two potential places Ive been hoping would work out are ~$850/month.

My LOD is 41'9' with a beam of 14'1'. My swim step is 2'. And a
I think my bow pulpit sticks out 2' (But I forget). So, I think my LOA is 46'. I currently fit in a 15' wide slip.

Any ideas?

Hi all,

The marina where I presently keep might boat is going to close for 1.5-2 years beginning in the spring for a remodel. I'm looking for an alternative beginning any time from now until the marina closes, lasting until it reopens or indefinitely.

I'm on the waitlist one place, and had reason for optimism, but it hasnt happened, yet. I thought I had a spot at another place lined up starting in January, but the lease hasn't shown up. So, I'm back to looking for alternatives.

I live in a different state than my boat so I tend to bounce in for a weekend every month, enjoy the beach, do some maintenance, and maybe go for a short ride to give it a workout, But, at a theoretical best, I get 6 long cruises in a year and, in reality it is less (there are chunks of time where I can work from the boat).

The upshot is that I am looking for a Marina with a nice community (vs behind a house), at a beach, within 30-45minutes of a good airport, and that has a good historical record w.r.t. hurricanes and major storms.

I'm a little biased toward the Gulf coast, or near Stewart or otherwise in a good position to head to the Bahamas. But, anywhere with interesting cruise grounds could be fine.

I don't really need any amenities, but I'm not adverse to them. I'd prefer a basic Marina, but I'd enjoy a fancier one if that were the answer. I'd like to be under $1000/mo. But would consider up to ~$1500/mo if it checked all the boxes. And I guess I could go up from there if I needed to. The two potential places Ive been hoping would work out are ~$850/month.

I think my bow pulpit sticks out 2' (But I forget). So, I think my LOA is 46'. I currently fit in a 15' wide slip.

Any ideas?

Marina’s charge by the foot.
I had a spare 75ft slip I rented out for about $3200 a month, WiFi, water and pump outs and metered electric was provided by marina at extra price.
Behind a house maybe your best alternative when it comes to price. You can schedule a pump outboat. Check for availability

Thanks, OldDan!

I like walking the docks and seeing the neighbors, jumping into boats and helping out with other people's projects and problems, etc. I'd prefer the community to just a slip. Just personal preference.

Thanks again for the thoughts!

You may already know this, but we have found the best way to determine availability is in-person. Without showing up you probably going to get a no over the phone where it might be a yes if they can "size you up". It is a community as you say and the good marinas try to keep some standards.

Yes, I'll confirm this.

When I was looking I needed to send a pic of the boat as well as meeting the owner in person before I could get the slip.

Yep! Just figured I'd ask for ideas since I can look beyond my current area. Thanks!

I actually got my current slip after a TFer mentioned a likely opening.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Any ideas?

If.you don't mind being a bit further south, Soverel Harbour Marina in Palm Beach Gardens is a nice place to be. Considered a hurricane hole and in a nice area. Close to beaches and about 45 minute, slow ride to Palm Beach Inlet.

Reactions: STB
Why don't you plan out a two year timeline cruise. Go from A to B, park boat until next available time, B to C park boat. etc. It would mean some planning and finding temp moorage along the way for weeks or months as needed. You have the ICW.
Then return to your refurbished marina instead of finding a duplicate surroget.

Hey Shrew,

I'd love to do that, but my professional life, while giving me a lot of freedom, is also very demanding and somewhat unpredictable. If I have marina reservations for some time window and can't move the boat on schedule due to work or weather, it turns into a stressful, distracting challenge.

I don't like the boat anchored out when I'm not there -- somehow those anchorages seem like "Pick a part" for tweakers. And, while weather tends to hold everyone in place, marinas can't necessarily accommodate changes in my work life. They seem to be very, very full these days, booking ahead of time for transients, especially those that cross weekends.

I'm a faculty member, so I've got a lot of freedom during academic breaks (and we have more of those post-covid), but, otherwise, my goal is to get out for an extended weekend once a month. I usually spend a day relaxing at the beach and around the marina (while working remotely), a long day doing maintenance or upgrades of whatever happens to be at the top of the list, and a few hours running the boat to enjoy being on the water and keeping everything running. After that, it is time to let it cool off, check everything over, update my logs, chill at the marina restaurant and disappear for the next month.

With the academic calendar, I basically get a 10+ day break every 2 months, e.g. August, mid-semester, winter, mid-semester, May, mid-summer. So, I try to do a trip during most of those breaks and a quick maintenance visit in the off months. During the longer breaks, I can accomplish any major maintenance that is needed, even if it means less cruising time, there is usually still room for some.

Don't get too jealous, though. An academic "break" for faculty isn't the same as it is for students. I still work as usual. I can just do it from anywhere, so it is easy enough to marina hop in the morning or weekend, work during the day, and relax in the late evening.

It isn't a perfect arrangement, but I feel very blessed to enjoy it. I've lost some breaks to major maintenance or upgrade projects that couldn't be accomplished in even a weekend, and bad weather has run over other plans. But, overall, I've been able to get good use from the boat. And, as for the boat's condition, there is no question that its gone from a major project boat to solid, very nicely presenting, turn-key ride. So, I feel like I've been able to do right by the vessel, keeping the "maintenance bank" full, rather than drawing it down by deferring maintenance to get the use.

Eventually, I expect I'll get to the part of my career where I'm okay taking summers off and cruising. And, when I get there I hope to stay healthy enough to do that until very old age -- I like my job. But, for now, I am too involved in too many things to want to do that -- and like it that way.

Last edited:
If.you don't mind being a bit further south, Soverel Harbour Marina in Palm Beach Gardens is a nice place to be. Considered a hurricane hole and in a nice area. Close to beaches and about 45 minute, slow ride to Palm Beach Inlet.

Thanks so much! I'll give them a call!

Hi - I don't know if you're still looking, and it's on the opposite coast from Stuart, but it's a great area! There are two options that have availability right now in December: the Bradenton Beach Marina and Seafood Shack in Cortez (really, BB). It's right by Anna Maria Island, which leads to Longboat Key, which leads to Sarasota, and it's a much more tropical, "Florida" type vibe than the other coast, which we just came from. The demographic is extremely active older folks - say 50's and 60's - and there are a ton of golf carts and scooters that you use to get around the island. It's beautiful!

https://bradentonbeachmarina.com/
https://www.seafoodshack.com/marina/

Tell them Joe Conte sent you!

Reactions: STB
Hi - I don't know if you're still looking, and it's on the opposite coast from Stuart, but it's a great area! There are two options that have availability right now in December: the Bradenton Beach Marina and Seafood Shack in Cortez (really, BB). It's right by Anna Maria Island, which leads to Longboat Key, which leads to Sarasota, and it's a much more tropical, "Florida" type vibe than the other coast, which we just came from. The demographic is extremely active older folks - say 50's and 60's - and there are a ton of golf carts and scooters that you use to get around the island. It's beautiful!

https://bradentonbeachmarina.com/
https://www.seafoodshack.com/marina/

Tell them Joe Conte sent you!

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom