Fort Myers & Okeechobee waterway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SanSailor

This spring we need to move our trawler from Jacksonville Fl to Mobile Al. We've done the Okeechobee waterway almost a dozen times but are worried about conditions since the hurricane. Has anyone traveled through this area since Ian? I know that all of the marinas are shut down but I can't find any information on sunken vessels or other hazards.

This spring we need to move our trawler from Jacksonville Fl to Mobile Al. We've done the Okeechobee waterway almost a dozen times but are worried about conditions since the hurricane. Has anyone traveled through this area since Ian? I know that all of the marinas are shut down but I can't find any information on sunken vessels or other hazards.
You won't have any issue with the Okeechobee waterway. Traffic has been going back and forth regularly. I crossed from Stuart to Fort Myers around the middle of November. No issues whatsoever as long as you stay in the marked channels.

The marinas are more of an issue along the Gulf Coast. I stopped in Labelle for a pumpout in November and saw no damage there. While getting transient dockage is near impossible currently, it should loosen up a bit by April 1st.

The GICW from Fort Myers to Tarpon Springs seems to be fine also. While I haven't traveled it, friends have gone to Tampa without issue. I would imagine that fuel and marina services will be much better by spring, but currently it doesn't seem to be an issue with some pre-planning (other than transient dockage).

Ted

Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping for. We're fine with anchoring and we have a big holding tank which can last us 3 weeks if necessary. I do though hope some of the marine businesses are recovering, I'm sure they need revenue.

Back
Top Bottom