Hello.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPChapters

Hello,

I did speak on here once before and my partner is floating around on here but I redid my membership and signup. Yada yada yada.

Currently, we our upon a 1968 36’ Willard Vega Pilothouse Trawler. We purchased this in 2021 and put in a new (needed) engine and plenty of other works that were needed from much neglect. We had planned to finish everything (it’s never ending) but chose to switch back to our other trawler we’d had in a yard and thought we’d run from the project that it is but went back to. Sigh.

As for our Willard, we enjoyed time in the Keys and an entire trip up the GICW and into Mobile, AL where we are now doing our work on our other trawler, and continuing some work on this one for the time being….especially as we live aboard her and we can’t ignore what needs to be done.

* I am looking for and interested in information on anyone who has redone on a Willard or similar boat (another boat with similar housing build is Kady Krogen):
Caprail.
Housing walls (all wood and nothing else).
Redone decking on the back mid-deck over the galley.
Any wheelhouse work.

She did amazing on the big trip and is a really fun boat with beautiful classic lines. 9 footers off her stern were relaxing when crossing from Steinhatchee to Apalachicola.
I predict that in 2023 we will be relinquishing her up to a new owner as we reach a portion of the other trawlers refit. We are moving to that one due to the big travel capabilities ahead, more explained below. This one has a very long history (and old capt logs) of her travels every year from Tennessee to The Keys and Bahamas. Super sturdy capable boat. Fiberglass hull (extra thick).

Our other trawler is a one off by a company no longer in production. We believe a few sister boats were made but pretty much we’ve not been able to find anything on them.
She’s a 42’ Aluminum trawler. 1200 fuel tank. 2 engines (currently Lehman 120’s). Semi-displacement. Almost a cusp of full but she’s supposed to really hit some speed (supposed to hit 19 but we’ve not tested this). The hull/housing/everything are aluminum.

She’s made her way with us from Rockport, TX to here on the Texas side of the GICW and did incredible. We moved her right as Covid came down in the area. Sat in water for a year or so and has been on the hard for a year-ish.

As far as aluminum hull issues…only a spot or two to redo- one from some stray wire. One that was in the keel about a decade ago in an inspection and plugged prior to her coming across the Gulf from FL to TX and then 600 miles up the coast after four years in the water in-between and then some. She shows two small previous patches. Otherwise her thick hull is amazing and we aren’t afraid of the aluminum. We actually by far prefer it. Though you’d think in the Middle Gulf Coast it wouldn’t be so hard to find experts experienced in welding it but, whew. That. Thankfully with welding experience ourselves we are now just going to do it (we tried handing work off while we played in the keys and such…didn’t happen).

Long story short…her larger fuel tanks, lay out, size, the aluminum, and twin engines are a couple of the reasons we choose to do our future travels on her (starting with The Great Loop). We will refit her. Starting with what works to go (her wiring and most interior is new though primitive from the previous owner though eventually we plan to change it all. Every inch.), eventually new insulation/walls/and every inch of her interior will get done to our own design. She’s a unique boat and we have a unique plan for her. We thought we’d get it all done in place and then go but to sit and stay for two years (minimum) and buying a house with these interest rates and the attention it would take away have us changing plans to cleaning her up and working under way so we can get back to traveling…which is top priority. We also looked around at possibly selling both project boats and buying new but we found that frankly before $200,000 you’re just buying someone else’s headaches and nothing we liked (and nothing without the same amount of work). We spent a lot of time in that and in the house idea before throwing our hands up. It did make us appreciate the boats we have.

*With this one I am looking for and interested in information on anyone who has refit aluminum boats (of course). As well as entire full interior stripped to bare bones and back up refits. And insulation choices and discussions. (Zero normal wood or curved wall issues for us. Everything sits above the hull and is actually squared out. A rarity.)

We are not retired. He works on push barges on the river and is away weeks at a time. I am a writer. I spend by myself. We both travel everywhere we go and check everything out. On my own I do SO much in each location we are in. Currently I have coffee shop days and enjoy art and creative events and kayaking and hiking. Mid-30’s and early 40’s. No kids. Too many pets. Been living on and traveling by boat for almost two years now and RV before that. We’d be interested in meeting others like us along the way as well as any other boaters and loopers, Willard and aluminum owners. And whoever else on the waters is just interesting and whatnot.

So…that’s my hello intro.

Welcome to TF - again, then. Pleased to see you used paragraphs. So many forget that makes reading a long post so much easier. :flowers:

Welcome! We look forward to seeing pictures of your boat and progress on the upgrades.

An aluminum beer can is light. An aluminum boat is not, especially 42 feet of it.

Carrying two Ford Lehmans and 1,200 gallons of fuel those 120's will not push that boat to 19 mph. I am guessing it will max out at around 10.

Prove me wrong and I will publicly admit I am wrong. (Been there, Done that)

pete

Our last boat, a President 41, had twin SP225s in it. It would top out at 19MPH. It was probably heavier than an aluminum 42 but not if the 42 carries 1.200 gallons of fuel. The President has 420.

Your Willard 36 is perhaps Dusty Rose, the PH in the background below (foreground is Trident). Picture is circa 2006 somewhere in Florida. I know Trident sustained hurricane damage within a few years of this photo, but no information on Dusty Rose. A sistership to these PH versions went from California to Hawaii (2300 nms) in 1987 and reportedly burned 335 gals of diesel. The owner carried spare fuel to augment the 300 gals she carried. He averaged 6-kts and 0.9 gph burn with the 75hp Perkins 4.236 engine.

The second pic is my 1970 W36, the last one built. This is from a day or two ago. You asked about caprails - I had some rot damage and chose to encapsulate mine in two layers of fiberglass, faired, and painted (Alexseal). I also chose to replace all windows - Mark Plastics in Corona CA has made windows for Willards since 1971 or so. Unfortunately, you are on your own for the curved front windows. The Willard owners group has information from owners who have done them (willardboatowners.groups.io/g/main)

I have moderated the Willard Owners Group for over 20 years. My co-moderator maintains a separate site with listings of all the Willards we are aware of. There were 6 PH versions built, all around the same time as yours. willardboats.org/vega-36

Your cabin sides should be fairly thick fiberglass over 5/8" plywood. Decks are likely fiberglass over 3/4" plywood. I had some delamination on my flybridge deck which was fairly easily repaired by someone other than me as I have zero talent with fiberglass.

I would very much like to see pictures of both boats, but especially your Willard.

Peter
Screenshot_20221128_183934_DuckDuckGo.jpg20221201_130543.jpg20221201_133012.jpg

An aluminum beer can is light. An aluminum boat is not, especially 42 feet of it.

Carrying two Ford Lehmans and 1,200 gallons of fuel those 120's will not push that boat to 19 mph. I am guessing it will max out at around 10.

Prove me wrong and I will publicly admit I am wrong. (Been there, Done that)

pete

With all the weight is still less than the Willard. It has stabilizers (floppers) but moves like a light boat. The problem that most aluminum boats still come with.

Your Willard 36 is perhaps Dusty Rose, the PH in the background below (foreground is Trident). Picture is circa 2006 somewhere in Florida. I know Trident sustained hurricane damage within a few years of this photo, but no information on Dusty Rose. A sistership to these PH versions went from California to Hawaii (2300 nms) in 1987 and reportedly burned 335 gals of diesel. The owner carried spare fuel to augment the 300 gals she carried. He averaged 6-kts and 0.9 gph burn with the 75hp Perkins 4.236 engine.

The second pic is my 1970 W36, the last one built. This is from a day or two ago. You asked about caprails - I had some rot damage and chose to encapsulate mine in two layers of fiberglass, faired, and painted (Alexseal). I also chose to replace all windows - Mark Plastics in Corona CA has made windows for Willards since 1971 or so. Unfortunately, you are on your own for the curved front windows. The Willard owners group has information from owners who have done them (willardboatowners.groups.io/g/main)

I have moderated the Willard Owners Group for over 20 years. My co-moderator maintains a separate site with listings of all the Willards we are aware of. There were 6 PH versions built, all around the same time as yours. willardboats.org/vega-36

Your cabin sides should be fairly thick fiberglass over 5/8" plywood. Decks are likely fiberglass over 3/4" plywood. I had some delamination on my flybridge deck which was fairly easily repaired by someone other than me as I have zero talent with fiberglass.

I would very much like to see pictures of both boats, but especially your Willard.

Peter
View attachment 134161View attachment 134162View attachment 134163

Hi Weebles. We are the Trident.

I’ve dug through and read all your stuff over the past two years as well as the Willard group/site. I’m just not active. Ours is actually The Trident….NOT thick fiberglass. Simply wood.I wish. I’ve seen other Willards with more. Our caprails are complete waste. I’m in process of work now. What a bear!
Thanks for the window information…that saved me a ton of research. I’d rather make that as simple as possible.

Her hurricane damage was ONLY the engine. Without power and with bad batteries she had water in but no real sinking (shallow ground below) so zero damage past that and not even the transmission. We’ve swapped engines last year and stuck to the same that was in it. TransAtlantic really helped greatly.
We’ve read of the Hawaii trip. After our Gulf crossing and what we’ve done in 9 footers, I believe it. She’s really amazing and trusty. We just won’t be keeping her long term for the kind of travel we will be doing. Not enough fuel/single engine/no thrusters/not cold weather capable enough for us. I’ll miss that pilothouse, though.

Last edited:
Blaine Seeley adapted the Wm Garden design to arrive at your PH W36. Tad Roberts made another adaptation, though never realized. Interesting form - relevant for modern usage.

Peter Screenshot_20221207_084257_DuckDuckGo.jpg

EDIT: Wonder if your engine drowning was related to exhaust routing issues? Not sure about the PH versions, but the sedan versions like mine do not route exhaust properly. Many W36s have been repowered. I have to think it's not a coincidence. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Twin 225's are different than twin 120's. I'll stay with my original prediction of top speed.

pete

Back
Top Bottom