Guns in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been my experience that Canadian border officers assume that all Americans are gun toting crazies, and if you tell them you don’t have a gun they tend not to believe you. So I think it’s a good idea to err on the side of caution when it comes to their gun laws. It’s not unusual for boats (or vehicles) to be thoroughly searched.

RT Firefly, do you have a rubbish GIF?

iu

Would this qualify? Bought it especially for the boat.
With the greatest of respect I think you are missing the plot, In Canada it is NOT your right to bear arms (as we all know it is in the USA), we allow Hunting with the appropriate license for what you are hunting and your Gun has to have a Trigger lock when going to the hunting ground and be locked in a Gun case when not in use. ammunition must not be close to the weapon. I don't think the 1000 islands the Rideau or the Trent are Hunting grounds except duck hunting which occurs in later fall. all we ask up here is come and enjoy our great country as we do yours, but Like us please respect our laws, and customs. This conversation only arouses tension, when (Canadians) we see US Flagged boats, we just want to enjoy swapping stories, and learn from each others boating experiences.

With the greatest of respect I think you are missing the plot, In Canada it is NOT your right to bear arms (as we all know it is in the USA), we allow Hunting with the appropriate license for what you are hunting and your Gun has to have a Trigger lock when going to the hunting ground and be locked in a Gun case when not in use. ammunition must not be close to the weapon. I don't think the 1000 islands the Rideau or the Trent are Hunting grounds except duck hunting which occurs in later fall. all we ask up here is come and enjoy our great country as we do yours, but Like us please respect our laws, and customs. This conversation only arouses tension, when (Canadians) we see US Flagged boats, we just want to enjoy swapping stories, and learn from each others boating experiences.

What he said ^^^^^. Their rules and their playground.

You can take sporting guns with a magazine of 5 rounds or less. No pistols. Don't have pistol ammo or if they see it will assume you have a pistol. I communicate with Canadian customs before crossing into Canada. I give them a list and serial numbers. They've never done a search of my boat.

Isn't there a "need" test too? That was listed on the CN web site. It's not just the type of gun, but you have to have an accompanying allowed "need". Personal protection isn't one of the. Transiting through from WA to AK I expect would qualify for the "in transit" allowance. But taking a gun on your vacation in CN I expect would be rejected, regardless of the guy type.

I wonder wherever you go in the world, whether the lawmakers have ever come face to face with wild bears or other similarly dangerous creatures?

I do not normally carry, and recently gifted my only gun... but when fishing salmon streams in Alaska...EVERYONE I knew carried one. Similar to snake country in the Southern US.

Last edited:
I do not normally carry, and recently gifted my only gun... but when fishing salmon streams in Alaska...EVERYONE I knew carried one. Similar to snake country in the Southern US.

That's a reasonable reason to be armed, and in fact there are places in the world where it's illegal to NOT be armed because of protection from bears.

Heck, I'm going out later today and am taking a shotgun (I don't own a hand gun). Why? Because there is an area of woods that is being destroyed by porcupines, so they are shoot-on-sight.

You should be at the Sioux Falls airport around pheasant opener weekend. There are enough firearms stacked up in the baggage claim areas to take over a small country. Last year's harvest (2022) was over 1,100,000 birds, in a season that lasts just over 90 days, so you can imagine the seasonal tidal wave of long guns in cases. Different places, completely different realities.

Not missing anything, I get it. As I said I'll keep it here in US waters. If I go to Canada or Mexico I'll put it back in the dirt home.

That's a reasonable reason to be armed, and in fact there are places in the world where it's illegal to NOT be armed because of protection from bears.

Heck, I'm going out later today and am taking a shotgun (I don't own a hand gun). Why? Because there is an area of woods that is being destroyed by porcupines, so they are shoot-on-sight.

I had a firearm by law in my plane for the Alaskan bush but even though it was a 45-70 it never did give me comfort that it would ever help against a grizzly. I think the then law was more for survival (food) than defense as no caliber was ever required in Alaska. The law was removed and my belief was because EPiRBs with GPS and PLBs etc reduced the time to rescue. Even mosquito meeting was required.

Somewhat the same circumstance.

We were traveling through the north shoreline of Lake Superior. We were in our motorhome with Texas plates and a Harley Davidson on the back. We had no firearms with us, we never did travel with firearms.

Anyway the Canadian Customs Police were convinced we were carrying. Had to empty the interior items and the basement items on to the pavement. They then searched the motorhome and everything scattered on the parking lot.

Carrying for whatever reason while crossing into Canada is over the top complicated.

What he said..... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The most dangerous thing you will run into on the Trent-Severn is Americans with guns.

Do not leave firearm with out of state ffl

[I am retired LE. I have a 50-state (and even DC) CCW. Wife & I were on Great Loop & just prior to entering Canada I left my locked Pelican case containing 3 pistols with an Upstate NY gun shop after paying for them to ship the case to a Michigan gun shop(near our Canada exit point). I had previously called the shop, and was told, “no problem, we’ll accept them for you. A couple days prior to reentry into US, I called the shop to give them a heads up I’d be picking the guns up. The person on the phone (manager) asked, sir, are you a Michigan resident? I said, “no, we’re Florida residents.” He advised he could not release the firearms to an out of state resident. I advised,”I’m not selling the guns, nor transferring them.” No dice. I had to have the shop FedEx them to a Florida FFL I had contacted. I then took a Flight to Orlando, spent the night, rented a car, picked up the case & flew back to the boat. DON’T DO IT. Leave them with a friend if possible.

Sadly, you do not have the right to carry firearms in Canada even for “protection”

Eyes on you

Please be aware that the Eastern end of Lake Ontario is pretty closely watched by both Customs & Immigration and RCMP marine units, looking for both human and contraband trafficking. Boardings are not uncommon. I've also been told by customs officers that, from experience, they expect Americans to try to bring in guns. Just in case anybody's thinking about it...

Bring a fishing rod!

Not Canada

I’m not worried about Canada. I’m worried about Baltimore, New York City, Chicago, and Mobile, plus a hundred remote locations in between. The problem is having it aboard while transiting Canadian territory.
Obviously, we can stay in US waters and the Canada issue goes away. The problem is the Admiral is looking forward to doing the Trent Severn.
Somebody suggested having a gun store in New York ship it up to Michigan. That… seems to be the best approach.

Sorry we’re closed.

General discussions, statements about weaponry and gun rights are not allowed in the forum. Discussions must pertain to Boating to be acceptable.

Thanks for understanding. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom