Gypsy Size too Large??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackConnick

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Paradox
Vessel Make
1991 Grand Banks 36 Classic
I'm looking at replacing our ground tackle. We have 5/16" chain that works well on our Tigress winch.

But in looking it over it looks like the gypsy might be 3/8"? There's a fair amount of room around the link in the gypsy.
But it runs perfectly, no jumping.

What do you guys think?

Jack

Attachments

• gypsy - 1.jpeg
    gypsy - 1.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 93
I think most gypsies are marked with chain size either in millimeters or a fraction.

If not and it is working perfectly I would move along and fix something else.

If it runs smoothly I'd say it's the correct combination. The gypsy pockets are larger at the perimeter to allow the links to drop in easily, but they're tight to the links at the bottom. If you want to test it for sure, get a one foot sample of 3/8" chain and try it. You'll see the difference, the links likely won't drop to the bottom of the pockets and it will skip badly under load.

I looked it over and it's not marked.

I looked it over and it's not marked.

Did you remove the Gypsy in order to inspect it?

It is usually on the side, and often the side not exposed.

Likewise, remove the gypsy and take it to a chandler and lay 5/16 and 3/8 in both BBB and G40 and see which one fits better.

Keeping in mind, you go by the most narrow part of the gypsy when sizing. There should be minimal to no slop between the link and the gypsy slot when there is a slight bit of tension applied.

I have your identical setup. Your chain looks the same as mine, which I know is 5/16 and properly sized for the Lofrans Tigress. I even have the same amount of rust on my links
Yes, I use mine lots. I have never had an issue with the windlass' strength or the fit of the chain.
In fact, that windlass and chain combination once struggled to get my anchor to the surface, but once there, the cause was revealed to be a steel trailer that someone had left in the anchorage. I estimate that over a ton of steel weight was added to the normal hoist weight of a few hundred lb, so it is remarkable that the windlass, chain and gypsey handled it at all.

Back
Top Bottom