Head does not empty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VF toilets use fresh water...my advice to use vinegar to prevent sea water mineral buildup only applies to toilets that USE sea water.

As for residue in the vacuum tank and in the hoses... that's the result of using too little water. Flush water pressure is too wimpy to fill the hoses, so unless you routinely run a full bowl of clean water through it at least once a day, you're gonna have urine crystal (aka "struvites") build up in the plumbing including the vacuum tank. No detergent will dissolves them.

I've written a piece I call "VacuFlush 101" that explains how it works (an amazing number of owners think they know but actually don't) and how much water it really needs to remain trouble free. I'll be glad to send it to you--and anyone else who wants it--if you'll send me a PM that includes your email address (no way to attach anything to a PM).

To answer your question, Dave: "does urine in a freshwater supplied head crystalize like in saltwater? Is it a concern in the discharge hose?"

Sea water mineral buildup and urine crystals are entirely different things. Urine crystal buildup in hoses can happen if too little water goes through any toilet that uses pressurized fresh water, not just VF toilets. Urine crystals can also be added to sea water mineral buildup in the plumbing for toilets that use sea water.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Thanks Peggie. We put in a new ME head and all new discharge hose. I want to make sure to take care of the new hose properly.

Back
Top Bottom