Heading To Survey - Marine Trader Items To Watch For?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpj23

Vessel Name
Black Horse
Vessel Make
Med Yachts 62
Going to survey on a 1989 62' Med Yacht next week. I know that Marine Trader is not a high-end boat, and there are common problems associated with ports and teak decking. This one has been well maintained but does still have the teak decks. There is one active leak into the salon stbd side, current owner has re-caulked (chinked?) the 'dance floor' above the salon in an effort to correct the leak. Results have been mixed.. No serious port leak damage anywhere, and the ports look to have been changed during the life of the boat (ie, the stainless is not rusted like so many of the cheap ports used in Taiwan).

Boat has Detroit 6-71 Turbos with 4900 hrs. Last heat exchanger cleaning was 3 years ago. No evidence of oil leaks and the bilge is clean. Transmission coolers were done within the last year. One genset has been removed, and the other is an 8kw Northern Lights unit that runs fine.

Fuel tanks were opened, inspected & cleaned 3 years ago. Fuel looks to be absolutely pristine in all sight bowls. House batteries were replaced with 8D AGMs about 2 years ago, twin inverters support house loads. All 6 AC units have been replaced within the last 3 years, but I am aware that the remaining genset is too small to run all of them at once (not that we'd need to necessarily).

Boat is stabilized and the NAIAD service was done in 2019. Bonding was also renewed during the same refit and is still intact. Bow thruster works, and an Ideal 12v windlass was installed to replace the 120v unit - no corrosion seen on the motor & gear box.

I know that the survey will have 3 pages of hits, like most surveys on boats of this vintage will have.

Specific to Marine Traders, what areas should I pay close attention to during the survey?

Greetings,
Welcome aboard, if I've missed you. Exciting times. I hope she passes. "Detroit 6-71 Turbos... No evidence of oil leaks" Are you sure there's oil in them? :rofl:

Greetings,
Welcome aboard, if I've missed you. Exciting times. I hope she passes. "Detroit 6-71 Turbos... No evidence of oil leaks" Are you sure there's oil in them? :rofl:

Lol - yeah that was about what I said to the broker.... :D

So, how did the survey go?

Actually looking at one similar. I'm a little leery. Hope to get eyes on it next week with a walk through and cold start. We'll see if it warrants a survey. I personally find what isn't said about the boat more enlightening that what they praise. I've asked a number of detailed questions, but still get rough and roundabout answers.

Update

Going to survey on a 1989 62' Med Yacht next week. I know that Marine Trader is not a high-end boat, and there are common problems associated with ports and teak decking. This one has been well maintained but does still have the teak decks. There is one active leak into the salon stbd side, current owner has re-caulked (chinked?) the 'dance floor' above the salon in an effort to correct the leak. Results have been mixed.. No serious port leak damage anywhere, and the ports look to have been changed during the life of the boat (ie, the stainless is not rusted like so many of the cheap ports used in Taiwan).

Boat has Detroit 6-71 Turbos with 4900 hrs. Last heat exchanger cleaning was 3 years ago. No evidence of oil leaks and the bilge is clean. Transmission coolers were done within the last year. One genset has been removed, and the other is an 8kw Northern Lights unit that runs fine.

Fuel tanks were opened, inspected & cleaned 3 years ago. Fuel looks to be absolutely pristine in all sight bowls. House batteries were replaced with 8D AGMs about 2 years ago, twin inverters support house loads. All 6 AC units have been replaced within the last 3 years, but I am aware that the remaining genset is too small to run all of them at once (not that we'd need to necessarily).

Boat is stabilized and the NAIAD service was done in 2019. Bonding was also renewed during the same refit and is still intact. Bow thruster works, and an Ideal 12v windlass was installed to replace the 120v unit - no corrosion seen on the motor & gear box.

I know that the survey will have 3 pages of hits, like most surveys on boats of this vintage will have.

Specific to Marine Traders, what areas should I pay close attention to during the survey?

What happened on this boat? Did you end up buying it? Or what was found out through survey etc? Thank you

What happened on this boat? Did you end up buying it? Or what was found out through survey etc? Thank you
We did end up buying her. Survey went well, we completed some electronics upgrades and got ready to go. Then life got in the way... we've not been able to go cruising as planned. Boat is for sale but not moving in this market.
Now for phase II we are likely going to use her as planned after all.. :thumb:

We did end up buying her. Survey went well, we completed some electronics upgrades and got ready to go. Then life got in the way... we've not been able to go cruising as planned. Boat is for sale but not moving in this market.
Now for phase II we are likely going to use her as planned after all.. :thumb:

Is the boat currently listed? I am in the market and came across your info and was interested in looking at one of these. If you would like to email me any info my email is goldenruleinc@gmail.com.. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom