Help Identifying Part on Perkins 6.354 N/A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBJim

Vessel Name
Limited Edition
Vessel Make
Californian 34
Hi All - I've been unable to locate any similar archived posts and I already spoke with and sent pics to TAD to find a replacement part. TAD said it was an aftermarket part, not original to engines, and they were not certain what it was and what to recommend for replacement. The part looks to be original as it's identical on both engines with similar aged appearence and paint, but who knows what's been changed over 46 years. I'm certain somebody on this forum has more knowledge than my 12 months of diesel engine experience caring for these twin Perkins. I will attach several photo's...the part in question is a 33ohm (maybe some kind of thermal resistor?) and connects to the engine block via a bolt. It has one lead connected from the alternator and the other lead connected to the starter solenoid. I'm having difficulty tracing where it then goes but it appears to operate my engine alarm horn mounted in the engine room. I should also mention I noticed the tab and wires broke off and hanging. Funny thing is the horn would still sound when cranking the engine and shut off when the engines started. I was able to file enough of the old tab to reconnect the wires but when I do this the engine alarm no longer works. I found similar 33ohm resistors on the web but the wattages are all varied. My concern is if this is part of my overheating alarm system, I want to get the correct replacement as I'm not sure how to test? The engines sit in a 1978 34' Californian if that helps...

Thank you for any guidance.

Attachments

• Boat Resistor 1.jpg
    Boat Resistor 1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Boat Resistor 2.jpg
    Boat Resistor 2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Boat Resistor 3.jpg
    Boat Resistor 3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 40
If I remember correctly those are resistors to take the place of the typical "charge" light bulb used to indicate loss of alternator output. If the bulb burns out on some configurations you may not have alternator output. Many boats dont actually have that bulb and may use the resistor in place of the bulb. When i installed my Balmar MC618 I cut those out. But this is going from memory from a few years ago, so double check.

Thank you Barking Sands. I'll look into that...I wonder rather than a heat alarm, it's wired to my engine horns to send an audible warning if there's an alternator output issue? They're definitely tied into the engine horn...

Since it’s obviously part of the alternator circuit, it would probably be helpful to dig into the specifics of the alternator. Find out why make and model and see if you can find parts lists and diagrams from the mfg.

Ken

Thank you Barking Sands. I'll look into that...I wonder rather than a heat alarm, it's wired to my engine horns to send audible warning if there's an alternator output issue? They're definitely tied into the engine horn...
Since it’s obviously part of the alternator circuit, it would probably be helpful to dig into the specifics of the alternator. Find out why make and model and see if you can find parts lists and diagrams from the mfg.

Ken
Thank you Ken, I'll try that route also.

My first thought was it looks like the ballast resisters that the late 60s to 70s Chrysler products had on the firewall. Always carried a spare in the glovebox.

Agree it looks like a ballast resistor for an old points type ignition distributor. Was your boat repowered from gas to diesel?

Agree it looks like a ballast resistor for an old points type ignition distributor. Was your boat repowered from gas to diesel?
High Wire - To the best of my knowledge this 1978 34' Californian was always a diesel. The engines are both 1978 (same as boat) and the vast majority of these boats were equipped with similar perkins engines... I would like to remove it and rewire as I don't think they serve a purpose any longer...unless its some kind of alternator surge protector or like Barking Sands suggested it may be wired for some kind of alarm for alternator output failure.

Back
Top Bottom