Volvo TAMD41-A Long in the tooth or long running?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VanBrudenship

Several boats of interest have the TAMD41-A engine (200 HP). Reviews are great, but that was years ago. Seems parts are crazy expensive and not many guys want or do work on them. Thoughts on this engine? Would you buy a boat with one in it? Resale? Appears many boats for sale have them, so am I correct in the Perkins, Cummins, Yanmars get bought over this engine?

The plusses and minuses of Volvo marine engines have been a lively topic here on the TF. I think the consensus has been negative. My own experience with Volvos, and that of boaters I know personally, has been that when they are running they're as good as any other marine engine. But parts are surprisingly expensive and often slow to arrive, resulting in prolonged downtime. You are correct that Perkins, Cummins and Yanmars are more popular.

If well maintained, they are a long lasting engine. The A series was known for being a smoky engine though. I know most smoke a bit at start up, but those are particularly smoky. I guess it has something to do with the lower compression and a couple of other factors.
Be darn sure you get a cold start visual on them, and a good sea trial so you can see for yourself.
And of course, as has already been mentioned, parts are sky high. And the cooling systems with all the hard pipes with o ring seals are a pain. The o rings can be special size and hard to get.

What parts?
I put a pair of TAMD41s into my boat, as an upgrde from TMD40s, in 2000. My TAMD41s now have 4200 hrs +- on them. Yes, I have had some repairs done, but nothing that required parts that were silly expensive.
Oil filters have been purchased from my local Bumper to Bumper store, at the same price for the pair as a single filter for my Cummins Motorhome. I haven't tried to purchase anything directly from Cummins, so I don't know if their prices are higher. I know the filters directly from Volvo cost twice as much as from B2B, but why go all the way to Vancouver for that when I have a local supplier.
As to smoke, the amount on startup is much less than the old engines. I understand is has to do with injection pressure, which is significantly higher in these 1990 era engines than in the 1970 era that they replaced. The same would be true of a comparison with 2010 era engines with much higher injection pressure.
Unless you can afford to get into boats of more recent engine designs, you will be choosing the survivors from earlier eras. The fact of that survival argues well for the engines in the boat you are looking at.

The Volvo spare part have the réputation to be...expensive for example heat exchanger for à Tamd61A....New 8500€, second hand on the net from 3500 to 5500€.
For à 5.6 lt engine ...

They fit few of this 41A on small police, custom etc
For them the mid potential is around 4/5000h.
With perfect maintenance.

Several boats of interest have the TAMD41-A engine (200 HP). Reviews are great, but that was years ago. Seems parts are crazy expensive and not many guys want or do work on them. Thoughts on this engine? Would you buy a boat with one in it? Resale? Appears many boats for sale have them, so am I correct in the Perkins, Cummins, Yanmars get bought over this engine?

Have a 1997 mainship 350 with twin Volvo TAMD41p-a engines 200hp apiece.
They are as "bullet proof" as any of the other major engine brands out there. In Southern California there is no shortage of marine mechanics that will work on these Volvos. They are basic. Ez to service. Parts aren't anymore expensive than any other brand of engine. For example Cummins oil filters are 30. 00 to 35.00. Volvo TAMD41 are 30.00. Cummins replacement impeller kits are 40 .00 to 76.00. Volvo TAMD41 are 56.00. The key to long life is maintenance. Oil, filters, Impellers, and coolant. If you Like the boat and it has Volvo TAMD41's Dont shy away. They are good engines. Average life is 8,000 to 10,000 hours. One was recently pulled on a Commercial boat here in Long Beach Ca with over 20,000 hours.

The Volvo spare part have the réputation to be...expensive for example heat exchanger for à Tamd61A....New 8500€, second hand on the net from 3500 to 5500€.
For à 5.6 lt engine ...
Cummins are not any cheaper.

For à 5.6 lt engine ...

Cummins are not any cheaper.

Cost for an OEM Cummins for the 6BTA is about $3,500 from Seaboard. Besides general maintenance items Volvo parts seem to be 2X+ that of Cummins.

Cost for an OEM Cummins for the 6BTA is about $3,500 from Seaboard. Besides general maintenance items Volvo parts seem to be 2X+ that of Cummins.

I have one boat with a Cummins and one with a Volvo, and have not found that to be the case.

That is weird I'm finding Cummins 6BTA Heat Exchangers for anywhere from $750 - $1500. I darn need fell over at $3,500. That seems borderline outrageous.

That is weird I'm finding Cummins 6BTA Heat Exchangers for anywhere from $750 - $1500. I darn need fell over at $3,500. That seems borderline outrageous.

That's OEM Cummins cost, not aftermarket like Mr Cool, etc. I would go with aftermarket all day long, but this was for comparison to a Volvo OEM parts price. :)

Back
Top Bottom