Hole in Range-4 Turbo output "L"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNM

Veteran Member
Some time back I experienced some exhaust coming from my insulation covered port turbo exit flange.

Upon closer look I found major deterioration to the bolts, flange, etc.

I removed the "L", replaced a couple of studs in the turbo exit flange, and cleaned up the "L".

I reinstalled and re-insulated.

It worked great, until I noticed a small amount of exhaust smoke behind the port engine when the engine was running :banghead:.

I recently removed the insulation and discovered a puff of exhaust smoke coming from the "L". Upon closer inspection, I found a 3/8" perfectly round hole with no threads showing in the bottom of the "L".

Did I leave a plug out? Is this a drain valve location?

I can fix it by tapping it for 1/2"- 3/4" long bolt, but I would like to know if any of the members know what belonged in the hole???

Attachments

• IMG_5412.jpg
    IMG_5412.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5418.jpg
    IMG_5418.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 37
FYI! I found a used replacement "L" and it has a metal extrusion with a plug in it extending from where I have a hole. I don't need to attach anything to my exhaust output, so, I just drilled and tapped at 5/8" and put a plug in it. Then I sealed the "v" clamp joint with high temp exhaust gasket maker and walla!!! not a hint of smoke when she's running.

Now I just need to re-wrap the very hot "L" with some kind of insulation, and we're done.

Probably a port for a EGT probe.

Back
Top Bottom