How did you check back in to the U.S.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mahal

Guru
We're thinking about taking our boat on a trip to Ensenada. It'll be our first time by boat. I have some understanding of the check-in procedure on the Mexican side based on my readings here on TF. But what I've not come across is information on how to check in when returning back to the U.S.. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Also, how visible are those tuna pens at night? Are they lit? Do they show up on radar?

There's an app for that.

If you and everyone on your vessel has one of the "Trusted Traveler" clearances, it's as easy as contacting them when you reach the boarder, transmit the information, and wait for approval to proceed. Customs has the option to have you travel to a check in point, but so far, on the Northern boarder, it's been "Welcome back; have a nice day".

Ted

The app is CBP Roam, and it expedites the process considerably.

There is a coast guard/CBP dock not far inside San Diego Bay where you can check in if needed.

Don't forget to get your DTOPS sticker. Cost is about $30. Can be purchased online, and takes a few weeks to receive it via mail.

Thank you. Downloaded the CBP app and purchased the DTOPS decal. We have Global Entry - hope that means we're less likely to be asked to do a physical check in.

Thank you. Downloaded the CBP app and purchased the DTOPS decal. We have Global Entry - hope that means we're less likely to be asked to do a physical check in.

You will have to declare any meats, vegetables, fruit, and some other things if you have them on the boat. Check the CBP website to know what is restricted/prohibited to cross the border to the US. Don't bring those things back with you and you will have a faster and smoother check-in.

It's traditional to raise the 'Q' signal flag on your way checking in at customs.
IDK if there is still a requirement to do so.

When we went from Ensenada to San Diego 2-months ago, we hailed the CBP via the App as we entered SD Bay. The officer initiated a video call and had us walk around the boat showing it's normal. We had nothing to declare. That was all. Both my wife and I are Global Entry (plus SENTRI, the Mexico-border easy-button, similar to Nexus for Canadian border crossing).

The fish pens are tucked into a cove. There is no reason for them to be a concern. If you're close to them, you're too close to the rocks and have bigger issues.

BTW - the "Police Dock" is not really a customs dock anymore. It's now known as the Guest Dock for San Diego. Slips can be reserved online for about $1.25/ft/night. 14-day limit.

You will have to check-out of Ensenada, of course. Cost us around $150 for two people plus the boat, then again when we returned.

Peter

Thank you. The concern about Tuna pens stem from stories like this:
https://www.espn.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?id=3535197

Glad to know they’re not a concern. Btw. The linked article is a good one.

Peter, do you know if La Costa would do Niaad fin seal replacement? Thanks.

I saw the team working on a set of stabilizers and it looked to me like they were replacing seals at Baja Naval when I was there this summer.

I went to the police dock clearing in from Ensenada and acted like an inept stupid old guy, they sent two customs guys down and took a picture of my passport and sent me on my way. I didn't get away with that checking into Ketchikan, had to download the ROAM app and they cleared me into Alaska with an email an hour after I completed the application.

Just do the CBP ROAM app...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom