Hudson River to Lake Champlain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger L

Veteran Member
My wife and I are planning a trip up the Hudson on our Mainship 34T. Our hope is to start mid to late May destination Lake Champlain. Then returning back to Long Island. One thought is to return down the East coast. We are looking for some useful experience as far as time line ,places to stay (avoid) and navigational tips. We will be bringing bikes and also enjoy hiking. I really don’t know how much time to allow for this trip (assuming we end up returning back down the river). We have made the trip from Maine that is a known.

There is a fixed railroad bridge at I believe 17.0 ft vertical clearance (plus others that are real close) at normal water level that you will need to clear. Measure your clearance to the inch and check the NYS canals website.

Last edited:
My wife and I are planning a trip up the Hudson on our Mainship 34T. Our hope is to start mid to late May destination Lake Champlain. Then returning back to Long Island. One thought is to return down the East coast. We are looking for some useful experience as far as time line ,places to stay (avoid) and navigational tips. We will be bringing bikes and also enjoy hiking. I really don’t know how much time to allow for this trip (assuming we end up returning back down the river). We have made the trip from Maine that is a known.

When you say "returning down the east coast", do you mean continuing northeast out the St Lawrence, then down around Nova Scotia? If so, it's a great trip, but significantly longer. Another option would be to first go out the Erie to Lake Ontario, then out the St Lawrence to Sorell, then south to Champlain and return that way. You could go to Champlain first, but then you would be running against the current in the St Lawrence working your way back to Lake Onterio. That's why it's usually done clockwise rather than counterclockwise.

Another option would be to first go out the Erie to Lake Ontario, then out the St Lawrence to Sorell, then south to Champlain and return that way. You could go to Champlain first, but then you would be running against the current in the St Lawrence working your way back to Lake Onterio. That's why it's usually done clockwise rather than counterclockwise.

If going that route I'd suggest taking the Rideau Canal from Kingston to Ottawa, then down the Ottawa River to Montreal. It's a great trip if you like historic canals and locks. If you've got time diversions into the Finger Lakes, western Erie Canal and Thousand Islands are all worthwhile.

We also plan to head to Lake Champlain in late May, hope to be in the lake by Memorial Day. We will be departing Liberty Landing Marina on the April 1st to dock at Half Moon Bay Marina until May 15th. That's our tentative plan.

Locks are scheduled to open May 20th. Hopefully they All open on schedule.

Last edited:
If going that route I'd suggest taking the Rideau Canal from Kingston to Ottawa, then down the Ottawa River to Montreal. It's a great trip if you like historic canals and locks. If you've got time diversions into the Finger Lakes, western Erie Canal and Thousand Islands are all worthwhile.
I have agree with Jeff. Spend a bit of time around thec1,000 Is then head back to Kingston to start the Rideau. Then Ottawa River to St Lawrence. You only have one large St Lawrence lock that way and you don't miss a lot from 1,000 Is to Montreal. If you order Canadian lock & mooring passes before Mar 30th they are discounted and the real plus is the same pass is good on Rideau & Chambly canals so on a lock or day basis a good bargain. Only extra is for power if you stay at a lick w power it is/was $10 Cn / day.
If looking for 1,00 is cruising tips I have some posted on my Bacchus website in Cruising Notes.
So many great places... it just takes time. Don't rush to cover a lot of miles... take your time and enjoy it.

When I purchased my current boat it was in Lake Champlain at Champlain Bridge Marina. We made the trip in a week from there to our home port in Stratford, CT. Our overnights were 1 stop prior to the canal, 1 stop in the canal, 2 stops in the Hudson, 1 stop at Liberty Landing, 1 stop in Port Jefferson. We weren't pushing really hard, but it was a combination vacation/delievery. Great trip. Really need to know more about your intentions and I can provide more details if relevant. Note that canal openings can vary by weeks each season, so don't plan on a specific date unless you have the flexibility to wait somewhere until they open. Also note that there is tidal current all the way up the Hudson to Albany and beyond, so doesn't hurt to time the tides in the Hudson.

Lake Champlain

Thanks all. Backinblue how much of your day was running? I assume you are running trawler speed? My wife and I like to keep active,hike or bike see the sights and too much “driving time” without a chance to move around most days would not work for us.

Thanks all. Backinblue how much of your day was running? I assume you are running trawler speed? My wife and I like to keep active,hike or bike see the sights and too much “driving time” without a chance to move around most days would not work for us.

Most of the time we were faster than trawler speed unless there was a speed limit like in the canal. I don't remmber exactly but think we were in the 12-13 knot range, maybe a little faster especially if we were going with the current. There are some places you just need to go slow like the extreme southern portion of the lake where it's quite narrow, parts of the East River and Hell's Gate, and some no-wake zones in the Hudson. We didn't push real hard each day but I didn't keep track of the hours. We'd leave after breakfast and stop by mid-afternoon so about 5 hours on average, some a little longer or shorter.

Beautiful trip if you've never done it. LMK if you need any other info.

Last edited:
Back in blue, I am starting to plan a Loop side trip up the Chaplin canal to visit my daughter in Burlington. Can you give me an idea of how much time is needed to get there and back from the Erie Canal. Do yo recommend and dog friendly anchorages? Because she works I need to be there when she is off. My travel speed is around 6 - 7 mph. I don't want to rush I want to be realistic. Thanks your a great resource.

The Champlain trip is quite nice. We took this route when doing a Loop rather than the Erie Canal/Oswego Canal. But here is what I do not understand about the many folks who ask this type of question, the how much time question, a pet peeve of mine. First of all there are so many variables, anchoring vs. marinas, preferred cruising speed for example. But, truly, with just a bit of research one can determine for himself how long any trip is likely to take. Active Captain, even though it is not as well-used aas in the past, still is a good resource for anchorages. And, marinas readily show up on charting software. Sure, there are speed limits in canals - again, easily seen - and locks take some time but estimated transit times between points really is not difficult. We did 5,500 miles doing the Loop all planned just using charting software. Navionics is great for using the autorouting feature just for estimating the transit time between two points. Yes, one must adjust for speed limits and the occasional lock transit but this is not quantum physics.

I agree, calculating travel time on the canals is fairly easy. We slow cruise at 6.5 - 7 kts, so I figure canal speed at 6 kts to account for slowing down in no wake zones. Add 20 minutes per lock and that usually comes out pretty close to reality for us.

Back in blue, I am starting to plan a Loop side trip up the Chaplin canal to visit my daughter in Burlington. Can you give me an idea of how much time is needed to get there and back from the Erie Canal. Do yo recommend and dog friendly anchorages? Because she works I need to be there when she is off. My travel speed is around 6 - 7 mph. I don't want to rush I want to be realistic. Thanks your a great resource.

Matt. Like most answers it depends. I would plan on about 2 weeks total for round trip depending on how long you want to spend in Burlington. Champlain canal is pretty easy to do in 2 days. No anchorages but plenty of good marinas. Figure another couple days in the lake unless you want to sight see and then you can take as long as you want. Good luck.

Sorry that I feel a need to ask these questions, I have 60 years of experience on my local bays and rivers. This is my first trip where I am out of my home waters. I need to plan ahead, For example I did not know there are no anchorages in the canal. Now I know to book some marinas. I have never gone through a canal or a lock before. I am just trying to put together a loose plan. I need the people meeting me to know about when I will be in certain places, this way they can get there. This side trip is just to spend a weekend visiting my daughter in Burlington, then I head back to the Erie. I will save exploring the area for when I do the Down east loop.

I would not rely only on marinas. There are several towns with walls to tie up and a few with power available. I dont have my log books handy but Active Capt can provide details.
Waterford is a good stop to start the Champlain

Take a look at Fort Edward Yacht Basin and Whitehall as good stops.
https://villageoffortedward.com/Attractions/YachtBasin/

Skenesborough Canal Park
https://champlaincanalwaytrail.org/communities/whitehall/

If you going to Burlington be sure to make Res ahead.
View attachment 127083

Last edited:
Stay away from the marina in Schuylerville!
The docks are really a mess, they are falling apart. We stayed there with a group of boats heading north last summer— regretted our decision. We were determined to avoid this location at any cost on our return trip.
Their electric distribution on the docks is unsafe.
The marina staff while generally wanting to be of assistance didn’t know what to do.

Stay away from the marina in Schuylerville!
The docks are really a mess, they are falling apart. We stayed there with a group of boats heading north last summer— regretted our decision. We were determined to avoid this location at any cost on our return trip.
Their electric distribution on the docks is unsafe.
The marina staff while generally wanting to be of assistance didn’t know what to do.

I stayed at that marina a few years ago and thought it was a great overnight stop at about midpoint of the canal. Decent restaurant and dock bar. It's also an RV park. I wonder if it's gone downhill because of COVID or something. 4.5 stars on google reviews. Anyone else been there recently?
https://www.theyachtbasin.com/

Under new ownership.
He lives in MD. An absentee owner.
Perhaps they will get better but it will take a few years.

Under new ownership.
He lives in MD. An absentee owner.
Perhaps they will get better but it will take a few years.

That explains a lot. It's a shame because I thought it was a great stop on the canal and the staff was very friendly and helpful when I was there.

Hudson River Erie Canal locks single handle?

Posting my question on this older thread.

Question is if single handed (Cape Dory 30) will be doable to negotiate the locks.

Yes, looking for a trawler not yet found one.

I am somewhat familiar with the ICW, difficult but did it.

I am used to sailing from Norfolk up North East coastal, thinking to get into the Long Island Sound from Atlantic Highland and go from there, more likely will get the mast down.

Thanks

I cruised the boat in my avatar single handed up the Hudson to Lake Champlain for the summer and back. It's not difficult, but you have around 12 locks to negotiate (not sure if you have locking experience).

There are several places to step your mast from Athens / Hudson area to Waterford (probably want to do it by Albany).

Ted

thank you

done a couple of locks in the ICW, found the locks attendants some very helpful, other not.
If helpful can hand both lines and then will hand them back for control, others seem more reluctant.

I've only done the Champlain canal, all ropes were hanging for you to grab, lock master doesn't hand or grab your lines. They were all very nice, I called all ahead of time and let them know it was our first time and that we were new boaters.
Troy federal lock was a bit different but we managed just fine.

Are you planning on the Erie Canal (as you posted) or the Champlain canal ( as the thread title)? Just curious, we plan on going back south on the Champlain and exploring the Erie for a couple weeks end of June beginning of July.

Toying with the idea to eventually do the Georgian Bay and Québec.

I live in North Carolina, done most of the East including Nova Scotia, distances to reach those areas are getting too long for me.

My idea was to get a smaller power boat and combination of land transport and launching or buying something in the area.

The last 2 years being problematic with the weather.

Unusual persistent northern winds for up to two weeks at a time, sudden, unexpected and violent storms start to make sailing off the coast challenging.

Many have single hand Erie / Champlain and it is doable... just takes some planning & different approaches.
My Bacchus website has a cruising notes section w. tips for NY Canals.
For those locks w/ only "loose" lines from the top of lock walls control will be a challenge... I'd recommend a mid line and using a ladder at either end of the lock to get a single firm attachment.
If you are thinking of doing the Trent-Severn I'd suggest Erie to Oswego - croos Lk Ont to TSW - TSW to Georgian Bay - explore GB then retrun TSW and short visit to 1,000 Is returning to Kingston to do the Rideau to Ottawa. Ottawa Riv back to St Lawrence to Richelieu Canal to Lk Champlain to Champlain Canal to Hudson & return S.
That is a wonderful loop if you have the time & interest.
Also Canadian canal lock & mooring season passes are discounted til end of March and well worth it if doing the above. Little open water to worry about for a 30' Cape Dory other than the Lk Ont crossing that will require picking a decent Wx window.

Many have single hand Erie / Champlain and it is doable... just takes some planning & different approaches.
My Bacchus website has a cruising notes section w. tips for NY Canals.
For those locks w/ only "loose" lines from the top of lock walls control will be a challenge... I'd recommend a mid line and using a ladder at either end of the lock to get a single firm attachment.
If you are thinking of doing the Trent-Severn I'd suggest Erie to Oswego - croos Lk Ont to TSW - TSW to Georgian Bay - explore GB then retrun TSW and short visit to 1,000 Is returning to Kingston to do the Rideau to Ottawa. Ottawa Riv back to St Lawrence to Richelieu Canal to Lk Champlain to Champlain Canal to Hudson & return S.
That is a wonderful loop if you have the time & interest.
Also Canadian canal lock & mooring season passes are discounted til end of March and well worth it if doing the above. Little open water to worry about for a 30' Cape Dory other than the Lk Ont crossing that will require picking a decent Wx window.
=========================
thank you Bacchus for taking the time.
David

PS

forgot about your website that checked sometime ago.
great source of information.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom