Indian Arm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
I’m in Vancouver leaving tomorrow, and wondered whether Indian Arm (or other) was good to visit? Spend a night or two on anchor before crossing back to the Gulf Islands.

Any suggestions?

Indian Arm is a nice visit.

You can anchor for the day at the mouth of Granite Falls and wade into so cold fresh water in a pool at the bottom. The Parks Department did not install the float or ramp this year so you need to be able to beach your tender on the gravel beach.

I would not stay overnight at the falls, but you can come back down (you loose the sun by 5:00pm ish at the falls anyway) and stay in Bedwell Bay which is exposed to the North or better yet, Belcarra Bay with it's Southern exposure, nicer sunsets. Just be sure to pull into the back of the bay (40' of water or less) as there is a submerged cable at the mouth of the bay, it's marked on the eastern shore.

If you have time in the morning, try the Jug Island hike from Belcarra Park (which has a float for you tender) or the walk to Admiralty Point. Both take about 1.5 Hours if you go all the way.

Bedwell bay is a good anchorage ...can be busy
Indian arm is deep! You'll need to stern tie if you want to anchor at the northern end behind
croker island
East Bay of Gambier is good anchorage ...roughly the same distance from vancouver
Keats (plumper cove) is good , mooring buoys for boats under 45'
Some ferry wash there

Indian Arm is off the beaten path, so yes when that close a sidetrip is worth it. Been there done that.

Thanks!

So leave Coal Harbour and go directly to around the WigWam Inn area? My tender is fairly heavy so no way to explore the shore?

Then turn around to Bedwell same day? Or is that too long, and should leave late morning Coal and overnight Bedwell then go to the falls the next morning? Difficult getting my boys up before 11am sadly but they will be needed to exit the marina slip unlike when at anchor.

Check the currents at the second narrows
Especially if you are towing your dinghy
About an hour to bedwell from coal harbour
Take a dinghy ride into deep cove for dinner or for the doughnuts

If you have the time, I'd go to Belcarra Bay today, go ashore off the float, hike, walk, explore the Park and enjoy the sunset. Tomorrow leave at say 9:00 am to be at Granite Falls by 11. It will be likely busy (10 boats, mostly small, anchored at the falls) by noon, it's Saturday.

Drop the tender hook in 5 feet for water and wade ashore. You can see it all in about an hour, unless you are into rock climbing.

Leave at your own time to anchor for the night near the mouth of Indian Arm.

Check the currents at the second narrows
Especially if you are towing your dinghy
About an hour to bedwell from coal harbour
Take a dinghy ride into deep cove for dinner or for the doughnuts

Good advice.
We will be hitting it roughly at slack, so late morning. We won’t be towing the tender.
Where is there to eat in Deep Cove?

There is reasonable anchorage at the head of Indian Arm, off the northern tip of Croker Island. Well worth a visit, especially on a sunny day!

There is reasonable anchorage at the head of Indian Arm, off the northern tip of Croker Island. Well worth a visit, especially on a sunny day!

I saw that on the chart and was intrigued. However, expecting a 6knt gusting to 18knt wind straight up the narrows so worried about the protection given the fetch so Bedwell sounded more reassuring.

Attachments

• IMG_1822.jpg
    IMG_1822.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Pretty good protection in Indian arm
Bedwell will get a stiff breeze from the south east in the afternoon
From twin islands to croker you get a 1ft/2ft chop
Usually nothing stronger unless it's really blowing
2nd narrows current against wind can make for a little stress
Best to pass or near slack
Monitor ch 12 for commercial traffic