It seems I am updating everythink but the kitchen sink. Well here goes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

man7sell

Vessel Name
TBD
Vessel Make
Sundowner 30
Mt dripping faucet in the galley is old and corroded and drips. Yes I could repair it (the faucet that is), but that's not me. So replacing the kitchen (galley) sink, and faucet.

First thing, getting the old sink out. Just look at the pukey holding it in. What to use to remove it???

Attachments

• galleysink002.jpg
    galleysink002.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 20
  • galleysink001.jpg
    galleysink001.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 36
On our last boat I refurbished the galley. The existing sink was very nice as to size but looked a bit long in the tooth. So I polished it with a buffing wheel and it came out looking like new. Maybe try polishing it before you decide to replace it.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 17
On our last boat I refurbished the galley. The existing sink was very nice as to size but looked a bit long in the tooth. So I polished it with a buffing wheel and it came out looking like new. Maybe try polishing it before you decide to replace it.

That looks fantastic. However, I have already bought a new one, I wanted to change the double small sinks for one large sink.

I think it will depend on the sealant they used to put it in how hard it will be to remove.
That looks like it’s possibly silicone, but if it’s polyurethane you’re in for a fight.
An oscillating tool with a flat non toothed blade might get through it, but could mark up the counter top in the process.put down some heavy tape around the perimeter before you get started to minimize the damage.
Use a few thin putty knives to act as wedges to help put upward force on it as you work around it. If you need to pry it up, keep a putty knife against the counter top as a base to pry against so you don’t dent the wood.
Good luck with it.
I would have replaced mine, but it was put in with 5200 and it was already the biggest size that would fit the area. No way to just oversized the hole. I’ll be replacing the counter top if I ever need to pull the sink.

Wow....That is one mighty shiny sink !!!

Are those pics before and after, or after and after? Did it look like the OP’s sink condition when you started?

Can you share details? What type of buffing wheel, and did you use polishing compound?

Looks great. More info would be interesting.

They were before and after photos, the before photo doesn’t actually show how bad it was. I couldn’t find a new sink that was the same size and particularly the depth so I thought I would try to polish it and see how it came out. It was over 30 years old at that point. I use a right angle drill with a 3” pad. I got the polish on Amazon since there are not many stores near us at all.

Blue Magic 400 7Oz Mtl Polish Cream

First thing, getting the old sink out. Just look at the pukey holding it in. What to use to remove it???
We replaced the galley sink on our Albin 28TE. Getting the old sink out without damaging the underlying fiberglass was quite a challenge. It was tightly in place with some kind of kryptonite adhesive. We realized early on that breaking the seal as much as possible was key, so we used every pry tool we could think of, which came down to a small pry bar, a paint can opener and a tack puller. We also used lamp oil as a solvent. My husband rigged up a lifting apparatus using threaded rod and a couple of pieces of wood. Kept tightening the pressure until it finally popped out.

The whole story is here:
https://albinowners.com/aog/viewtopic.php?p=83029&hilit=sink#p83029
You'll need to register an account to see the photos.

Good luck!

If you are trying to save the countertop then it will be more difficult to get the sink out. We were replacing the countertop with Corian. We made the new top ourselves since solid surface is really easy to work with. The first thing I would do is apply some heat around the edge of the sink. Since the sink is metal the heat will transfer to the adhesive quickly. Then with a sharpened putty knife try to work the putty knife in under the edge. Keep the adhesive heated as you go. Get a small gap and drive a wedge under the edge. Work around the sink with wedges and heat. As you put more and more pressure with the wedges the sink will likely pop out at some point. I use wood shims as they will likely not damage the countertop. Good luck and we will need photos of the completed project.

I would use heat around the inside rim of the sink and position a small jack under the sink to provide some upward pressure while working from the top side with wedges and sharp putty knives.

OK Putty knives, heat, pukey solvent, wood wedges, jack below, blade vibrating tool, nail bar, grenade. Got it. Off to the boat with all the tools.

Last edited:
OK Putty knives, heat, pukey solvent, wood wedges, jack below, blade vibrating tool, nail bar, grenade. Got it. Off to the boat with all the tools.
???

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

The only thing I didn't use was the bottle jack (Our local hardware store only had one for $104 heavy duty. So after 6 hours trying not to damage anything else........

Off to harbor freight tomorrow for a cheap bottle jack. left the sink with pukey (Adhesive) remover spay to soak over night.

Attachments

• galleysink006.jpg
    galleysink006.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 17
Man, they really glued that sucker in tight!

Me thinks you have the right idea with the bottle jack - :)

Looks only a little more mangled than ours did. It's so satisfying when it pops out! You'll see.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
The only thing I didn't use was the bottle jack (Our local hardware store only had one for $104 heavy duty. So after 6 hours trying not to damage anything else........

Off to harbor freight tomorrow for a cheap bottle jack. left the sink with pukey (Adhesive) remover spay to soak over night.

Sorry to say this, after you've wrecked the existing sink, but actually, it's quite a decent size. I would have kept it and done what Comodave suggested.:facepalm: :D Dual sinks are a must have in my view. :thumb: :hide::flowers:

Sorry to say this, after you've wrecked the existing sink, but actually, it's quite a decent size. I would have kept it and done what Comodave suggested.:facepalm: :D Dual sinks are a must have in my view. :thumb: :hide::flowers:

Trouble with these duel sinks is they are too small to get a sauce pan into. Wait til you see the new one (If I ever get this one out)

Oh, you'll get it out. You should see what I'm going through removing a leaky aluminum water tank that's underneath my aft cabin floor.

Trouble with these duel sinks is they are too small to get a sauce pan into. Wait til you see the new one (If I ever get this one out)

Reminder, do not glue it down, one day you may have to remove it :)

L

IT'S OUT...... But, the pokey that was used was so much that it went down the sides of the sink in places, so when the sink finally came loose, (Hydraulics), it pulled up some of the formica.

Anyway, cut the hole to the new size and did a test fit, what do you think?

Looks like I'm going to have to redo the counter top.

Attachments

• galleysink008.jpg
    galleysink008.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 14
  • galleysink007.jpg
    galleysink007.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 18
Nice sink. Your counter looks to be a perfect candidate for solid surface countertop. With the fiddle on the front you won’t even have to finish the front edge of the countertop. Just make a template of the counter and then route the solid surface material and then caulk it down over the old formica finish. I did this in our last boat and it came out beautifully. I got the solid surface material from solidsurface.som.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 12
Nice sink. Your counter looks to be a perfect candidate for solid surface countertop. With the fiddle on the front you won’t even have to finish the front edge of the countertop. Just make a template of the counter and then route the solid surface material and then caulk it down over the old formica finish. I did this in our last boat and it came out beautifully. I got the solid surface material from solidsurface.som.

Absolutely stunning. I did the same thing on a vintage Airstream and my last sailboat. So time to do it again. I will check out the the link.

Absolutely stunning. I did the same thing on a vintage Airstream and my last sailboat. So time to do it again. I will check out the the link.

A true hardwood countertop would look so much nice! (Yes I am a wood lover)

L

That sink looks awesome!

Mine looks like a bar sink for washing glasses.

That sink probably has some type of clip holding it down plus the caulk

The new sink is gorgeous and perfect! Can't wait to see the new countertop!

That sink probably has some type of clip holding it down plus the caulk

Mine didn’t, it was just caulked in. After I did the solid surface countertop I just caulked it back in.

What product did you buy? And did you cut it yourself or have it cut?

Thanks
Paul

Love your new sink. Looks amazing. We are in the same boat. We purchased a new sink, and to this day still have not been able to pry the old one out. Didn't want to wreck it in doing so, so for the last 2 years we've been living with the old one. LOL I think I'll do what Cosmo Dave said and get a polishing wheel and give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom