Krogen Krogen manatee 36 - pre buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silent101

Hello,

Looked at a 1988 Kadey Krogen manatee 36 (hull #87) yesterday. Overall around 7 out of 10 condition, 150HP VOLVO TAMD31 with 3950 hrs, Onan 8.5kw gen with 1600 hrs. Modern autopilot and some newish ray marine radar / plotter, complete bottom strip and reseal and owner performed maintenance that seems pretty good. Fairly original interior otherwise.

Use case
Loop boat, coastal US, Bahamas and maybe a bit more if it can handle it down the road. Need something economical with a $100Kish budget so realize older and some compromise's are on the table.

Biggest concerns
Fully cored hull - 1 year old strip and re seal so might be hard to spot issues
Did see some cracks and a bit of crunch noise directly behind starboard pilot house deck flooring
4000HR Volvo - Valves, injectors or Aftercooler never been off. All other maintenance by the book (oil, impellor, anodes, turbo rebuild, ect)

Anything additional to look out for?
Thoughts on the KK36?
Any recommendations for pre buy survey / engine survey in Alabama / TN?

A good friend purchased the same boat in 3 months ago in December. Just from his experience: Check the hydraulic steering hard tubing routing, ALL THE WAY aft. His failed 2 miles out from the dock after he purchased. The hard copper tubing had been chaffing where it went through a bulkhead below decks. Replacement would have required removing wood work. He ended up having good quality flexible hydraulic hose run. Ended up costing around $6k by the time all was said and done.
Next, his dripless shaft seal was seeping slightly during survey . . . . . It failed two weeks after he purchased it. It started leaking severely. Required haulout, waiting on parts, removal of prop and shaft. $8k all in.
Heat exchangers . . . . . they're good until they're not. If there is not recent of replacement, budget their replacement in to your expenses for the first year of ownership.

Best of luck with your purchase!:dance:

This boat did the loop in 2022 so at least has some recent miles on her. Shaft seal was replaced last year. Looks like under $1200 for parts and labor on the invoice. It was already hulled for the bottom job but wondering why such a price discrepancy.

I'll look into the power steering more. I did notice quite a bit of corrosion on the line cuplers going into the ram at the very rear.

This boat did the loop in 2022 so at least has some recent miles on her. Shaft seal was replaced last year. Looks like under $1200 for parts and labor on the invoice. It was already hulled for the bottom job but wondering why such a price discrepancy.

I'll look into the power steering more. I did notice quite a bit of corrosion on the line cuplers going into the ram at the very rear.

Much of his higher bill was that he was emergency hauled and placed on a floating drydock for two weeks before they could begin the work. They also did the bottom, so much of the $8K was for haul/storage/bottom job . . . .

Owned a Manatee for 15 years. The bottom job is a blessing-not a negative. I did a grind and epoxy job myself-hardest job I've ever done! The cored hull is also a positive in the sense it is pvc coring, which will not rot. Some things to look for is water leakage through all the stanchions mounted on the upper deck. The one problem I had with the stanchions at the bow was I could not access the underside stanchion nuts to re-caulk the stanchion base. I had the two stateroom version, so I'm not sure this is the same issue with the single stateroom version. The salon windows are also something to look for. Water tends to get past the frame and gather at the base of the window and come out between fiberglass and teak joint below the window. No damage is being done other then the varnish lifting after several months. I loved the boat.

Hello,

Looked at a 1988 Kadey Krogen manatee 36 (hull #87) yesterday. Overall around 7 out of 10 condition, 150HP VOLVO TAMD31 with 3950 hrs, Onan 8.5kw gen with 1600 hrs. Modern autopilot and some newish ray marine radar / plotter, complete bottom strip and reseal and owner performed maintenance that seems pretty good. Fairly original interior otherwise.

Use case
Loop boat, coastal US, Bahamas and maybe a bit more if it can handle it down the road. Need something economical with a $100Kish budget so realize older and some compromise's are on the table.

Biggest concerns
Fully cored hull - 1 year old strip and re seal so might be hard to spot issues
Did see some cracks and a bit of crunch noise directly behind starboard pilot house deck flooring
4000HR Volvo - Valves, injectors or Aftercooler never been off. All other maintenance by the book (oil, impellor, anodes, turbo rebuild, ect)

Anything additional to look out for?
Thoughts on the KK36?
Any recommendations for pre buy survey / engine survey in Alabama / TN?
I noticed the boat is still on FB marketplace. Did you pass on her?

Back
Top Bottom