Mixing proportions of Interlux 2-part Epoxy Primekote by weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I would like to know the mixing proportions of Interlux 2-part Epoxy Primekote by weight please. I wish to use less than the full one quart of total product and as the contents of the large can are putty-like, doing this by weight is much easier.

I have an email in to Interlux, but if anyone has experience with this please let me know.

Edit: If I knew the tare of each tin, the calculation would be easy!

Jim

Last edited:
I finally got through to Interlux. Unfortunately he could not, or would not answer my question. “We do not recommend mixing by weight as the mixing proportions would be off.” GRRRR! I guess I will have to do the calculations myself! The problem is, the main component is not pourable.

I guess what I will have to do is tare a small container and weigh a measured quantity by volume for each of the two components.

I will report back once these calculations are completed.

Note, there is no density information on the technical product sheet.

Jim

I did a couple of batches of primecoat by weight and it’s definitely off. Fortunately it hardened ok, but found I was using too much of the hardener.

Ken

Thanks Ken. For sure, you cannot use the same 3:1 proportions by volume to weight in grams.

I measured amounts by volume of the two components, using the indicated volumes on each of the two tins. Part A is 0.71 litres and Part B is 0.24 litres for a total of 0.95 litres (1 US quart) These are my results:

Screenshot 2024-05-03 204741.jpg

So I decided I wanted about 70% by volume of the one quart of total product, or about 500 mls of Part A and 169 mls of Part B. Part A weighed 700 grams and Part B 159 grams. Part B is 33.8% by volume but only 22.7% by weight.

I think this is useful, because all you need is a digital kitchen scale and any container. It doesn't have to be graduated. You can put any amount of Part A in the tared container, measure the weight and then take 22.7% of that weight and add Part B (which can be poured) to that number of grams. As indicated in the spec sheet, I added 25% Brush Reducer (2333N).

Horrible stuff to work with! Horrible odor! Part A is the consistency of putty and you have to wait 20 minutes before adding reducer and then stir again.

Jim

Last edited:
That’s great info Jim. I still have one complete kit of it, so it’ll come in handy. Unfortunately Interlux has discontinued production of Perfection which was my preferred 2 part paint and the main reason I used Primecote. I am switching to Epifanes 2 part which I have also used and also works well. I’ve purchased but haven’t yet used their primer. I’m thinking it’s much closer to the same thing as their gloss 2 part (except formulated as a primer) which would actually probably be a little better than Primecote.

Ken

I was a primecoat user too. Still have one kit left as well as some of the perfection. I’ll be switching to something more user friendly when it’s gone.
I didn’t have any issue at all mixing by volume. I just spooned it out of the can into a paint mixing cup, waited for it to level, then add the catalyst. 20minute induction time is a little excessive, I used ten before adding reducer.

I should add that the 169 ml amount for Part B in the above example was estimate between graduation lines.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom