Mobile or Marathon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chapter ii.v

We will be putting Willard Vega 36’ Pilothouse Trident up for sale, but I’m trying to decide if where she is in Marathon, FL or where we are considering taking her, to Mobile, AL would be the best location to do so.

Thoughts?

I would think Marathon could be an incentive for east coast buyers, not detrimental for buyers from the Gulf...

-Chris

If you're not expecting a local buyer, locate the boat in a strong boating market, with lots of brokers, and easy to commercially fly or drive to. One of the things to consider is that your boat (anyone's boat) may not be the first boat on a buyer's list to look at. If the boat is in a less busy boat buying and selling area, it becomes a destination trip. You might get 2 or 3 times as many people coming to view your boat while they are looking at others. Also, I would think that locating your boat with others of similar type would be beneficial. If you were trying to sell a offshore sport fishing boat, putting it in a sailboat brokerage probably doesn't make sense.

Ted

Mobile is more accessible to Texas and Tennessee which seem to have a fair share of boaters of all stripes, but south FL has to be the boat buying and selling capital of the eastern half of the US. Marathon has the added cache of the "Keys."

I think it is a toss up for the reasons Rich mentions above.

David

The Okeechobee is closing for 3months. If it is in Mobile then someone on the east coast will have to drop down around Keys to get it home. A much longer route. Ask me how I know....

E.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom