New boarding steps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snapdragon III

Vessel Name
Snapdragon
Vessel Make
Custom 56' Skookum trawler
One of the things I don't like about my boat is that it is hard to get on and off of it at the dock. It has two boarding locations on each side. The one at the widest part of the boat, where it is close to the dock has a very high gunnel, and you really have to climb up there. It's not too bad at our home marina as I have steps installed on the dock, but it's a pain when traveling. It is also a pain when we have older friends over, as they have a very hard time getting on board.
The rear gate has a much lower gunnel, and would be easier to step over, but since the boat is football shaped, it is always too far away from the dock to be usable. There is usually around 24" of water between the boat that the dock at the rear gate location. The solution I came up with was to build boarding steps that would clamp over the gunnel at the rear gate, and extend out diagonally toward the dock. This would make stepping up much easier, and would also fill the large gap between the boat and the dock. When not one use it folds up vertically against the hand rail, and I will bungee it in place. It can be used on either side of the boat.

I came up with a design based on using left over material from a couple projects I've done recently. I built it over the last few days, then took it out to the boat to test fit today. Once I got it fit properly I took it home again and installed the chafe protection which I made out of old fire hose. I am excited get the final version installed on the boat this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_3004.jpeg
    IMG_3004.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3064.jpeg
    IMG_3064.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3065.jpeg
    IMG_3065.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 89
More pictures

Attachments

• IMG_3067.jpeg
    IMG_3067.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3068.jpeg
    IMG_3068.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3073.jpeg
    IMG_3073.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 81
The final product. Now I just need to get it back on the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_3081.jpeg
    IMG_3081.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3080.jpeg
    IMG_3080.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3079.jpeg
    IMG_3079.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3078.jpeg
    IMG_3078.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 59
Very nicely done. Over the winter I built something similar, but a single step. So far it's working well. I'll take a few pictures to post.

That is some serious stainless welding. I am envious. The U brackets look really solid.
Have contemplated the same arrangement and fabricated a mock-up from some old steps but your hardware is what makes it work.

Got the final steps installed, and used them in the real world in Sidney. I couldn't be happier about how they worked out. Makes it so much easier to get on and off the boat, and they stow really nicely when not in use. Fixed a problem with this boat that had seemed to me like an unfixable design flaw.

Attachments

• IMG_3085.jpeg
    IMG_3085.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3083.jpeg
    IMG_3083.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom