New Member looking at 1987 OA 50 Mark II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjbiker

Hi Everyone. I'm close to making an offer on a 1987 OA 50 Mark II. Appears to be in excellent condition. Was wondering if OA owners out there would advise me on some key items I should look at during survey.

Cheers,

Terry

Welcome aboard. Not familiar with that particular boat but any boat that age will have the same general issues. Wet deck core, rusting fuel tanks and wet stringers are my big 3. Good luck and keep us informed.

Many OAs were powered with Volvo engines. Not an engine I personally would like to have.

OA are great boats. There are no known weak points. With every boat maintenance is the key. Where most owners go wrong is improper sealing of deck and hull penetrations. There fore your surveyor should use a moisture meter when evaluating the boat. A surveyor who says he can tell all he needs to know with just his hammer isn’t giving you the best information.

Side note. I have not seen very many Volvo’s in OA’s. I am not a Volvo fan. Mostly you will find Cat’s, Detroits and some Cummins. Not saying there aren’t Volvo’s out there but it would be unusual.

Last edited:
Did you make an offer on the ocean Alexander? I think I have been looking at the same boat

Back
Top Bottom