New small electric outboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick14

Guru
Vessel Name
Culmination
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38 Sedan
There are a couple of new small electric outboard motors recently introduced, possible alternatives to Torqueedo and e-Propulsion.

The Mercury Avatar 7.5:

https://electrek.co/2023/01/06/mercury-avator-7-5e-electric-outboard-boat-motor/

I've had a few gas Mercury outboard motors in my life, was very happy with them so it's interesting to see Mercury in this game.

The Newport NT300:

https://newportvessels.com/products/nt300-electric-outboard-motor

The Newport uses a separate non-proprietary battery which offers more options, and seems much cheaper than the alternatives.

Has anyone bought or had experience with either of these motors?

It does make you wonder when the FTC is going to step in on these guys. Mercury "says the motor performs closer ... to a 3.5 HP". This from a 750W motor (the physical definition of 1 hp is 746W). The Newport (clearly it was made by ePropulsion) says their 1300W motor is 3 hp without any equivocation. Optimism is one thing, fraud is another. But we do live in the age of Alternative Facts.

I own an ePropulsion 1kw, the leg and motor look identical to the Newport. It's been pretty good other than all the paint is falling off the cast aluminum bits, even though kept indoors most of its life.

It does make you wonder when the FTC is going to step in on these guys. Mercury "says the motor performs closer ... to a 3.5 HP". This from a 750W motor (the physical definition of 1 hp is 746W). The Newport (clearly it was made by ePropulsion) says their 1300W motor is 3 hp without any equivocation. Optimism is one thing, fraud is another. But we do live in the age of Alternative Facts.

Most of the advertising I've seen says that it performs equivalent to a 3 HP gas outboard. That's very different than saying it's 3 HP. Being a direct drive motor without the gear drive, having the low speed torque gas motors don't have, and an optimized propeller, probably do make it comparable. Going one step further, nobody runs either engine wide open, so in the normal operating range, it probably is equivalent.

Ted

I've always understood it as "equivalent low speed thrust to an X hp gas outboard". It is slightly deceptive though, as the lower powered electric outboard will have a lower top speed.

As far as not being run wide open, I'd bet small outboards see more time at WOT than most other engines. The 6hp on our dinghy is probably the only engine I've ever held at WOT for 20 minutes.

I've always understood it as "equivalent low speed thrust to an X hp gas outboard". It is slightly deceptive though, as the lower powered electric outboard will have a lower top speed.

As far as not being run wide open, I'd bet small outboards see more time at WOT than most other engines. The 6hp on our dinghy is probably the only engine I've ever held at WOT for 20 minutes.

OK, so the electric 1hp motor is equivalent to a 3hp gas motor when run at 1hp. I guess that's true if you complete the sentence.

Anyone remember the little blurb in Consumer Reports magazine, I think titled "Advertising it", where they would call out stuff like this?

We certainly do live in an age of alternative facts! Funny thing is, you can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

I have no delusions of a battery outboard performing anything like a gas one. I just like the idea of not having to carry gasoline on a boat, as well as the possibility of topping up the battery with a photovoltaic panel.

Thanks for the observation of the Newport being made by e-Propulsion!

I'm not knocking electric outboards. I really like mine, it does nearly everything I need to do, quietly, reliably, and efficiently. I like not having to pull the string, I like the (relative) silence, I like the superb low speed controllability and instant reverse. I like that it is light.

But still, claiming that it is 3 hp is simply advertising BS. One of my most recent favorite books is "On Bulls**t", a learned treatise on the subject by the philosopher Harry Frankfurt from Princeton. BS is distinct from lies in that it has no relationship to the truth or facts - it is a narrative told to advance a point of view, regardless of the facts. (Lies on the other hand, respect the truth and tell the opposite, to avoid the consequences of telling the truth.) A lot of advertising (and politics) is BS. The copy writer may not even know what the facts are, but doesn't care. The FTC eventually came down on the small air compressor vendors who used to advertise "develops 5 hp" for a 1 hp compressor. That fact that 2 hp is all you can draw from a household outlet without tripping the breaker did not deter them. Shop vacuum manufacturers still make those claims.

One thing not generally known is that the ePropulsion sells an accessory for their Spirit outboard, which allows powering from a 48V external source. With that arrangement, you'd have the choice of the mounted battery, or an external battery. Newport is a big retailer of ePropulsion so they have a relationship.

I'm not knocking electric outboards. I really like mine, it does nearly everything I need to do, quietly, reliably, and efficiently. I like not having to pull the string, I like the (relative) silence, I like the superb low speed controllability and instant reverse. I like that it is light.

But still, claiming that it is 3 hp is simply advertising BS. One of my most recent favorite books is "On Bulls**t", a learned treatise on the subject by the philosopher Harry Frankfurt from Princeton. BS is distinct from lies in that it has no relationship to the truth or facts - it is a narrative told to advance a point of view, regardless of the facts. (Lies on the other hand, respect the truth and tell the opposite, to avoid the consequences of telling the truth.) A lot of advertising (and politics) is BS. The copy writer may not even know what the facts are, but doesn't care. The FTC eventually came down on the small air compressor vendors who used to advertise "develops 5 hp" for a 1 hp compressor. That fact that 2 hp is all you can draw from a household outlet without tripping the breaker did not deter them. Shop vacuum manufacturers still make those claims.

One thing not generally known is that the ePropulsion sells an accessory for their Spirit outboard, which allows powering from a 48V external source. With that arrangement, you'd have the choice of the mounted battery, or an external battery. Newport is a big retailer of ePropulsion so they have a relationship.

My sentiments too. I think electric outboards are a great fit for a lot of cruising. It's the marketing BS that bugs me.

Back
Top Bottom