New Swim Step

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonR

Guru
Vessel Name
Triton
Vessel Make
48' Golden Egg Harbor
It’s been a long road.
I originally obtained the teak about 3 years ago. Believe it or not it was reclaimed out of an old barn. Apparently they used teak for the hay loft floor. 1”x5”x20’ boards.
I ripped them down to 1-3/4 strips. Built a buck and used stainless (don’t remember the grade but for saltwater) and a slow cure two part epoxy ( this was an error as it took 24hrs to cure, so only one strip per day). The first 5 strips bent up easy. But I then broke about 5 strips trying to bend it. So I made a steamer. 4” pvc and a commercial fabric steamer. It took a good 6 hours for 2 strips. Then I would mock them up on the buck. Let them dry for a few weeks. Wipe the glue sides down with acetone, let it dry. Then glue/screw/clamp them into place.
After it was built I loaded it in the van, took it down to Noble Woodwork’s in Ballard Seattle and ran it through their drum sander. We finished it up with 120 grit and got it nice and flat (I recommend building it on a fixed table as the garage floor was not that flat). I will now let it sit in the garage and wait till the summer to clean up the edges & varnish it.
We hope to put it on on 2025 when the boats out of the water for bottom paint.

Hindsight is always 20/20. To do it again I would use a faster cure epoxy. And I think I would try and use some stainless all thread in the ends and solid blocks. I was afraid I would not be able to bolt it together with the all tread as I would end up with epoxy on the treads and ruin the all tread.
I would have also built a big table that was perfectly flat, and bought about 50% more clamps.
All in all it turned out well. But I feel that I will need two more support brackets on the corners where people get onto the boat (rear tuna door entrance). As the starboard side is the main entrance, and each corner is coming apart where they glued them together.

Attachments

• IMG_2456.jpg
    IMG_2456.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2931.jpg
    IMG_2931.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg