Orcas sink yacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for that link Scot. That was an interesting site, but you have to remember that it is cataloging interactions not sinkings, and it seems the majority of them are with long line tuna boats because that is their primary food.

upon further reading that sight did say that 50% of the interactions result in damage to the boats, usually the rudder.

Last edited:
B depending upon where you are sharks and lightning are of more concern. Would not wear a black wet suit while the seals are off my local beaches. Nor not worry about lightning in season on a cat in FLA.

They are incredibly intelligent. As with any 100 year old legend, there are probably embellishments in the following story, but I still find it fascinating:

There's a story from the late 1800's of a whaling village in Austrailia where the orcas would help the whalers by trapping the baileen whales in coves and then calling the whalers to let them know. The orcas would further help the whalers by towing the whaleboats back with their catch. The only thing the orcas wanted was the chance to eat certain parts of the baileen whales so the whalers would give the orcas access for a while. It was referred to as the "Law of the Tongue" One time when a whaler denied access, the orcas stopped helping.

They are incredibly intelligent.

In many ways I think cetaceans are more intelligent, and enlightened, than humans. They’ve managed to exist in harmony with the planet for millions of years, while we’ve made a mess of it in less than 200 years.

I miss our close encounters. This was 2012. Circled our boat several times before moving on.
20120714_142034.jpg

Good thing they are not in communication with their Spanish cousins.

I suspect there is more to it than being reported. There have been a few orca boat events here at anchorages, but not the described we are going to sink you type of reports.
I wish I would have pictures and videos of orca feeding frenzy in shallow water and me sitting in the dingy. each time a whale surfaced I would get the eye and they stayed at distance the whole time. I moved on when the salmon huddled below my safe zone.

Saw this thread at the top. Such an interesting topic, albeit an unnerving one. A buddy sent me a image yesterday that was circulating online. The photo was supposedly taken near Gibraltar in preparation for a trip but I don't know the details.

A bit Mad Max and a bit Waterworld but I'd say the modification is worth the knot of speed that you'll lose if you get there with rudder intact.

I'm guessing trawlers see less attacks due to them swinging a larger wheel. I could see a bigger wheel posing much more of a threat to Orcas but then again, they do strike with accuracy so maybe just an uneducated guess on my part. Hope I never find out.

At any rate, my preference for any open ocean crossing would be a standard trawler rudder with a pintle mount securing the rudder at two points. Similar to this skeg rudder.

Full keel and power to spare for me thanks.

Just my .02 FWIW.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 5.06.54 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 5.06.54 PM.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom