Ospho?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilPB

Guru
Vessel Name
Sun Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
While my head was inches from the engine I was noticing some rust near the water pump since I'm replacing the impeller. Is Ospho still a good product to use on rust? Never used it in a saltwater environment.

Seems to be a favorite with many saltwater commercial fishermen.

See it in all the shops that cater to them and I worked with a few that had experience commercial fishermen and they always went for Ospho.

I lean towards Corroseal as I had a friend that was a distributer back in the late 1970's and it still seems popular today.

Not as strong as an acid like Ospho but needs a little more careful prep and one or two or even three coats if the rust is left too thick.

While my head was inches from the engine I was noticing some rust near the water pump since I'm replacing the impeller. Is Ospho still a good product to use on rust? Never used it in a saltwater environment.

Ospho is my go-to product for rusting steel in any environment. Wire brush the surface as well as you can, vacuum up the flakes and powder, saturate with Ospho (I use a pump sprayer on larger surfaces), allow to dry and then prime / paint. Always had good results.

We used ospho exclusively on the steel commercial boats I ran. Apply like Blissboat said. Best part is it's cheap in the paint area of the big box store. I've used it on old cars too, anything steel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom