Outboard powered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting idea, but I would have a couple of concerns. In rough water would the outboard props break the surface and be exposed to air?

Good point, anybody that has used an auxiliary outboard, either on a yacht or motorboat at displacement speed, will relate to the cavitation of the prop as the boat pitches is short steep waves, and as the broker uses the fact that the gearboxes and skegs tilt free of the water surface when moored, could indicate an issue.
Of course in calm flat water no problem, but then again neither will vessel stability be.

It states twin 60's to replace to the 120 hp single diesel. I am surprised they said the conversion uses less fuel than the original engine.

It was extended with the engine conversion, so longer means more fuel efficient, usually.

It clearly was originally a Clipper 30, which was the same hull as my Clipper 34, but 4 ft shorter, or putting it another way, my Clipper 34 was the same hull, extended by 4 ft. Most of which went into the cockpit, which was always too short in the 30, with the interior stretched just a little in the 34. No doubt this being the prime mover in going this way.

I certainly looks interesting, however, my attention was mainly held by the anchorage where the pics were taken, as we spent many happy times anchored in that exact place in our Clipper 34. :)

Interesting, but I have never liked the idea of storing gasoline below deck (assuming that is how they did it.)

I see some potential advantages to re-powering an older boat with outboards.
  • The engine noise is outside the boat
  • Interior volume for living, storage and tankage could increase
  • Cost "might" be less
Disadvantages

• Swim step is less functional or not usable at all
  • LOA is increased
  • No ability to run large frame alternators to charge big house bank
For a newer boat I don't see any advantages. I do see a significant potential disadvantage. Service life of the engine(s). I just don't see any outboard, gasoline or diesel, lasting as long as an inboard diesel.

Other +
Potentially tilting the entire power unit out of the water when at rest.
Total package may be less weight than traditional inboard.
Outboard diesels are possible. (up to 300hp. However that is likely excessive)
Easier to service (or replace) as the unit(s) are not internal to vessel.
Less hull penetrations.

Other -
Exposed to weather and possible vandalism or theft
More complex newer technology in a smaller package
May be shorter service life

Back
Top Bottom