Overturned catamaran

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RT Firefly

Enigma
Greetings,
I guess the snow bird southern migration is in progress. Although the crew is safe, the boat probably won't make it to FL. https://abcnews.go.com/US/coast-guard-rescues-4-canadians-capsized-catamaran-off/story?id=104216203

From what I can figure out, the vessel was well out into the Gulf Stream and there was a north wind blowing. That's a big no-no IMO. 10' to 12' seas?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...thanks-locals-after-crew-s-rescue/ar-AA1iFFss

IF in doubt-DON'T go out!!!!

Sad, but Cats do capsize (scary video of a Gunboat submarining and going over is somewhere out there).

Love the last quote of the second article...

"The yacht offers charters between the Mid-Atlantic and the Virgin Islands."

(bring snorkel)

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. O. Indeed. While wintering in FLL I've become VERY aware of Gulf Stream/Florida Current activities. I've been able to actually see waves in the GS while ashore. Probably about 4 or 5 miles out BUT how big are the waves that I can see them at that distance??? NO thanks. NOT for me.

Will be interesting, with our new boat, to learn the handling characteristics and capabilities under various sea conditions. Plan on hiring an able cat captain for a couple of days of tutelage.

iu

Last edited:
It sounds like hatches failed on both port and starboard sides that allowed down flooding and lead to the capsize.

It just goes to show that construction quality and not just roll stability count in situations like this.

Anyone contemplating blue water cruising in anything less than a Nordhavn or similar should think about this capsize.

David

Greetings,
Mr. DM. I concur.
"In racing parlance, horses for courses, why should it not work in industry?"
- From the British publication 'Engineer', 1898

Last edited:
Here is a better article with details about the vessel:

https://www.chesapeakebaymagazine.c...n-days-after-leaving-annapolis-sailboat-show/

It's a 60 foot catamaran being sailed by a professional crew. 10-12 should be a casual day on that vessel.

If you read this article, it tells that the large side windows blew out on both hulls causing the vessel to take on more water than could be effectively evacuated, leading to eventually rolling. My guess is the windward hull filled rapidly. As the vessel listed, the leeward hull is raised further from the waterline.

Although not a structural engineer (or any kind of engineer), it seems to me the torquing and non- release of energy (not heeling) of a cat puts major stresses on all components and need be built 2X a monohull (not a pun but a WAG). Taking it one step further, those windows look awfully large and it is not surprising they were the first to go.

If you read this article, it tells that the large side windows blew out on both hulls causing the vessel to take on more water than could be effectively evacuated, leading to eventually rolling. My guess is the windward hull filled rapidly. As the vessel listed, the leeward hull is raised further from the waterline.

I'm curious about the failure, the article states that "hatches" failed but articles frequently interchange technical terms and can be misleading in initial reports. I've seen this boat in person and I'm pretty sure the outer windows are "deadlights", non-opening versus a porthole or hatch which would open.

I've heard of multiple instances of the escape hatches leaking on cruising catamarans. All that I have seen are between the hulls and midship to aft and they tend to be a frequent source of leaks, primarily nuisance but obviously they have the potential to be much worse, they are located very close to the waterline and it is my understanding, that they are positioned to allow escape from a turtled boat.

On the other hand, the deadlights running down the exterior of the hull appear to be a major risk and they are growing in popularity on sail and power boats alike, seem like a major risk, if nothing else a potential for a minor docking incident to get really expensive.

One of the original post articles suggested it was the hull mounted windows (deadlights). A friend with a cat with large hull-lights always cautions that fenders should not be placed against them as they've been known to crack the deadlights. Should tell you something. Still, you would think that without point-forces of a fender, should be okay.

Peter

One of the original post articles suggested it was the hull mounted windows (deadlights). A friend with a cat with large hull-lights always cautions that fenders should not be placed against them as they've been known to crack the deadlights. Should tell you something. Still, you would think that without point-forces of a fender, should be okay.

Peter
You made a good case why they failed, maybe had fenders against and the wave/water pounding finished it. No amount of bilge pumps can fix that. Lately I have seen a couple of these deadlights on boats and I scratched my head as I said no way.

Peter

Looking at pictures of the boat....where do you put the fenders? Those ports take up much of the hull.

Looking at pictures of the boat....where do you put the fenders? Those ports take up much of the hull.

Much like a lot of newer cars that have exterior glass overlap the support pillars, there are bulkheads and recessed hull sections the glass runs across, so from the inside of the boat, the deadlights are not continuous, but they run the glass over that section for a streamlined appearance. I would expect you could place the fenders in the sections where the glass is supported, but who knows if the manufacter would agree. I see how the new trend of deadlights is appealing for "ambience" onboard, but they just seem like a bad idea to me.

There are a number of newer sailing monohulls on my dock with new deadlights and they are flush with the hull, entirely exposed and the boats don't even have rub rails to provide any degree of protection. Just another source of stress for the owners as they dock.

The only hatches I would be aware of are the escape hatches normally fitted on the inboard side of each hull. They are normally extremely strong and durable. I might add that Ive done a few ocean passages on Cats etc . A well sailed cat would eat those conditions.

They said their hatches broke and it was sinking. In 2013, my husband was in the Salty Dawg Rally from Hampton to the BVIs. There was a new sailboat, can't remember what kind, and in order to save weight, the owner had plexiglass windows installed. They got caught between two big storms and the windows failed, causing the boat to sink.

I'm curious about the failure, the article states that "hatches" failed but articles frequently interchange technical terms and can be misleading in initial reports. I've seen this boat in person and I'm pretty sure the outer windows are "deadlights", non-opening versus a porthole or hatch which would open.

On the other hand, the deadlights running down the exterior of the hull appear to be a major risk and they are growing in popularity on sail and power boats alike, seem like a major risk, if nothing else a potential for a minor docking incident to get really expensive.

Lots of those type portlights are being designed into boats these days. I not only think they are unsafe, but they are UGLY. BUT they appeal to the ladies.

Much like a lot of newer cars that have exterior glass overlap the support pillars, there are bulkheads and recessed hull sections the glass runs across, so from the inside of the boat, the deadlights are not continuous, but they run the glass over that section for a streamlined appearance. I would expect you could place the fenders in the sections where the glass is supported, but who knows if the manufacter would agree. I see how the new trend of deadlights is appealing for "ambience" onboard, but they just seem like a bad idea to me.

There are a number of newer sailing monohulls on my dock with new deadlights and they are flush with the hull, entirely exposed and the boats don't even have rub rails to provide any degree of protection. Just another source of stress for the owners as they dock.

Unbelievable to build boats with no rubrails ! sail or power

Back
Top Bottom