PNW to Mexico, Panama Canal, and Florida, on our way at last!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad to hear you got out ok and in time to meet your canal transit booking. Like everyone, I share your feelings about Mark's misfortune.

In looking at Google maps, I cant help but wonder why the two seemingly decent commercial shipping ports aren't used as stopovers? Acajutla in the north and La Union in the south. I can see why La Libertad would be skipped.....

Good questions and I cannot fully answer but can give some insight as we'll be following Scot/Laura's wake in a month or so.

First, here is the one 2015 Active Captain comment on Acajutua: "Industrial port with a lot of commecial traffic. Bottom is foul and full of junk." Light industrial ports in Central America are pretty rough places.

According to Noonsite: "There are two ports where recreational boats can visit: Bahia del Sol and Isla Meanguera in Golf of Fonseca. Acajiutla is a commercial port and not recommended. Lake Union has no infrastructure for visiting yachts."

Noonsite has a further notation on Gulf of Fonseca "Boats traveling in Gulf of Fonseca are likely to be intercepted and possibly boarded. Be aware that three countries border the Gulf of Fonseca." Those three countries are El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Honduras - the last of these are especially difficult. Apparently Nicaragua and Honduras have had disputes for years over fishing rights.

Bahia del Sol is well known as a very inviting cruiser's port. Bill & Jean are legendary for their hospitality. I've heard about them for years. The bar obviously has a rough reputation, but the difficulty was warranted given the safety and comfort of Bahia del Sol. Until now. Knowing that Rum Truffle was captained by a very experienced sailor with decent knowledge of cruising Central America and was lost is sobering and changes the calculus of whether the "juice is worth the squeeze."

So these are just some of the challenges of cruising Central America.

Peter

Last edited:
Looking at the sunken Moody, I have to ask what impact it has on other boats crossing the bar? Is it obstructing the preferred transit line? And how the heck to you do wreck removal in the surf like that?

Good questions and I cannot fully answer but can give some insight as we'll be following Scot/Laura's wake in a month or so.

First, here is the one 2015 Active Captain comment on Acajutua: "Industrial port with a lot of commecial traffic. Bottom is foul and full of junk." Light industrial ports in Central America are pretty rough places.

According to Noonsite: "There are two ports where recreational boats can visit: Bahia del Sol and Isla Meanguera in Golf of Fonseca. Acajiutla is a commercial port and not recommended. Lake Union has no infrastructure for visiting yachts."

Noonsite has a further notation on Gulf of Fonseca "Boats traveling in Gulf of Fonseca are likely to be intercepted and possibly boarded. Be aware that three countries border the Gulf of Fonseca." Those three countries are El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Honduras - the last of these are especially difficult. Apparently Nicaragua and Honduras have had disputes for years over fishing rights.

Bahia del Sol is well known as a very inviting cruiser's port. Bill & Jean are legendary for their hospitality. I've heard about them for years. The bar obviously has a rough reputation, but the difficulty was warranted given the safety and comfort of Bahia del Sol. Until now. Knowing that Rum Truffle was captained by a very experienced sailor with decent knowledge of cruising Central America and was lost is sobering and changes the calculus of whether the "juice is worth the squeeze."

So these are just some of the challenges of cruising Central America.

Peter

I always wonder about reviews and comments like that. Any comment is obviously one person's view, and we all view things differently. But in this case just a few words have likely prevented anyone else from exploring those ports. For example, a lot of cruisers place high value of marinas and shore-side amenities. One of the jokes with Active Captain was that every marina was ranked based on their showers, laundry, and dog walking provisions. That's important to a lot of people and I respect that, but for others a place that you can get in and out of with anchoring or a pier to tie up to is all want, and what we value, and that can get lost because of one negative review of a place.

Anyway, I'm just wondering while my coffee kicks in.

Looking at the sunken Moody, I have to ask what impact it has on other boats crossing the bar? Is it obstructing the preferred transit line? And how the heck to you do wreck removal in the surf like that?
I think the surf will take care of the wreck removal, just need to pick up the pieces off the beach as they come in. Definitely a bummer.

I always wonder about reviews and comments like that. Any comment is obviously one person's view, and we all view things differently. But in this case just a few words have likely prevented anyone else from exploring those ports. For example, a lot of cruisers place high value of marinas and shore-side amenities. One of the jokes with Active Captain was that every marina was ranked based on their showers, laundry, and dog walking provisions. That's important to a lot of people and I respect that, but for others a place that you can get in and out of with anchoring or a pier to tie up to is all want, and what we value, and that can get lost because of one negative review of a place.

Anyway, I'm just wondering while my coffee kicks in.

It's funny, in many places we've gone the first thing everyone tells us about or talks about before getting there is how good the showers are, etc. All I care about are the docks and that we have somewhere to walk the dog. Water is only a periodic need, and unless it's really hot, I don't care about power. We never use the shore-side showers and such, so they don't matter.

Many don't have onboard laundry though, so when a place has decent or free laundry that's always nice to know.

It's hard to describe the paucity of data available for anchorages and facilities this far south. Couple that with large areas with lousy chart coverage and it's bit intimidating. Even the gold-standard cruising guide for Pacific Mexico by Shawn & Heather Breeding gets a bit skinny below Puerto Vallarta.

Guillermo, the owner of the boatyard in Ensenada, remembers as a kid going to a town on an inlet south of Mazatlan. Looked viable - could definitely see there is a Panga fleet there. But without detailed charts and prior review, just couldn't make the commitment to be the first review. Maybe if we could anchor nearby and dinghy up the inlet.

I've started to use an App "No Foreign Land" (NFL) a bit more. Has more recent data and it's easier to follow a cruiser with reliable information.

We went into Acapulco because we weren't satisfied with the reviews we read post-huerocane Otis, a devastating Cat 5 hurricane. Figured someone had to be an early reviewer. While Acapulco will take a long time to recover, the early reviews of crime and pestilence were alarmist and not helpful, but will serve to shoo away squimiah cruisers which I guess is a good thing.

There is definitely a coconut grapevine in the cruiser community which is how Bahia del Sol got popular in the first place. This incident will clearly hurt them with good reason. What I don't know is prior history. Have other boats been lost? Is it a frequent occurrence? NFL shows over a half dozen boats there right now, almost all are sail. What's the secret to a safe transit? I would think best case would be a high tide in the early/mid )morning hours. That could take weeks to time with weather constraints. If you're on a schedule to catch a Canal transit date, maybe you compromise. I don't know the circumstances so can only guess.

The marinas here are pretty beat up. I'll take some pictures of electrical connections and dock fingers. Not just in Huatulco but every marina we've visited.

Peter

Last edited:
Scott, post 209 you said 8.2 depth (water level). Do you recall the max within the same time frame. Trying to visulise the up/down movement.
The sailboat with 7 foot keel obviously bottomed out and was pushed over. That 8.2 depth is one point in time, easy in hindsight to imagine a 7 foot or less depth.
The boat laying on its side is in about 5-6 foot of water.

Screenshot from Instagram reel this afternoon. Rum Truffle got pounded overnight.

Sad

Peter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240308_155745_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240308_155745_Instagram.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 40
Scott, post 209 you said 8.2 depth (water level). Do you recall the max within the same time frame. Trying to visulise the up/down movement.
The sailboat with 7 foot keel obviously bottomed out and was pushed over. That 8.2 depth is one point in time, easy in hindsight to imagine a 7 foot or less depth.
The boat laying on its side is in about 5-6 foot of water.

The max depth, as I recall, going over the bar (please understand that I was not spending a lot of time looking at the depth sounder) was about 12 feet. The video shows the depth racing between 8.2 and 12 feet for about 40 seconds over the bar.

Someone else stated that there were mostly sailboats in Bahia del Sol. I know of a 42 Grand Banks, a 52 foot Defever, and a 45' Bestway???. All three power boats. There were 3 other power boats there as well, but I think they were long term renters.

Early this morning we passed abeam the border between Costa Rica and Panama. Yaaah!
We've traveled about 513 miles so far on this leg, with about 221 remaining to go before we arrive in Vista Mar Marina, about 40 miles West of Panama City.

The Wx window had been about as good as you could hope for. Except for some 4' "jumbled" seas on the 2nd day out, it's been relatively flat. Late tonight, before passing Punta Mala into the Gulf of Panama the seas are forecast to rise to 4' off the Stbd beam again, but the period is around 14 seconds, reducing to about 12 seconds as we turn the corner around Punta Mala. At that point, the waves drop from 4' to 3' to 2 feet, then 1', period about 6 seconds, but they will be out of the SW, which will put them almost dead astern of us for the last 10 hours or so. :dance:

This will have been the longest continuous passage we've undertaken so far this trip, (4751 miles to date) at about 735 miles, and a little over 4 days.

With our planned jaunts to the San Blas Islands and Bocas del Toro on the Carib side of Panama, we will have about 1800 miles remaining after we transit the Canal. Longest leg there will be from Providencia to Isla de Mujeres, MX, about 600 miles.

Once we get into the marina, we will check into Panama, clean the boat, reprovision, and attempt to find 1 more line handler, prior to moving over to the mooring field by the Canal on the 17th, for a scheduled transit on the 19th. We're looking forward to tasting a different salt water!:D

One comment: Since Leaving the Sea of Cortez, the fishing has been . . . . underwhelming. A few Dorado (Mahi Mahi) here and there, lots of Skipjack (threw them back), one Barracuda, some Jack Crevelle (not good eating) and that's pretty much it. No Tuna. Also, few, if any whales. Lots of seabirds, dolphins and turtles, but few whales, and very little fish.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the fishing. Maybe a different type of chip bag for your homemade lure?

Best wishes to you both (and the kitties of course!) for continued favorable weather.

Peter (and Cheryll)

My heart is just sick about the loss of Rum Truffle at Bahia Del Sol and I hadn't even met Mark. Having crossed that bar I totally understand how crazy the crossing was. There are lots of stories coming out now about more sailboats getting stuck coming across the bar, I guess it was just was a matter of time before one got stuck hard enough not to get free in time before the next wave hit. Not sure what the solution is for boaters wanting to go into Bahia Del Sol. Just glad we made it out.

We have almost made the passage to Vista Mar in Panama. It's been a long 4 day passage. Longest one we've done. But the sea has been pretty kind to us. Only rough in Papagoya Wind area for 8-10 hours and that wasn't to bad and just this last little bit has been a little bit bumpy. But for the most part it's been as glass as the open ocean can get. And we've got some beautiful sunrises and sunsets..

Attachments

• 429908249_426985386465785_280844294246061312_n.jpg
    429908249_426985386465785_280844294246061312_n.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Scott/Laura. Four days 24/7 well done. With only two of you to share watch duties is incredible by most norms. Stay safe BonVoyage

Four days 24/7 well done. With only two of you to share watch duties is incredible by most norms.

Agree, SteveK, 100%. The longest two-person four on–four off continuous watch was on a delivery, and that was only 62 hours. Four days is heroic.

I meant to say, "The longest two-person four on–four off continuous watch that I've ever done was on a delivery"...

We don't do formal watches. We sleep when we can, wake when the other person gets tired. Works for us.

About midnight last night, we passed abeam Punto Mariato, Panama, the Southernmost point on our journey from PNW to Florida. From now on we'll be making Northerly progress almost every day, except for the portion from San Blas Islands to Bocas del Toro, which will have mostly a Westerly component, and a little bit of Southerly.
We are 94 hours and 706.3 miles into our current trip, with an average speed of 7.51 knots.

Last night we also experienced something we haven't experienced since before San Diego back in September . . . . RAIN! Several rain squalls, moderate to heavy rain helped rinse a lot of the bird crap off of the upper decks, and solar panels. . . . . I'm really beginning to dislike birds . . . . .

37.2 miles to go to Vista Mar Marina, Panama. So about another 5.5 hours at our current speed. Then 6 days of checking in, cleaning boat, re-provisioning, etc in preparation for move to the holding area on 17 March, then hopefully passage through the Panama Canal starting 19 March. Still remains to be seen if it will be a 1 day or 2 day passage.

Edit: We are currently tied up at Vista Mar Marina. 99 hours, 743 miles.

The bad news is that the pool is closed and will be closed for the duration of our stay . . .. :nonono:

7.5kn average is fast! Can you remind us all of the engine of Muirgen? Best wishes from the other side of the world!

We don't do formal watches. We sleep when we can, wake when the other person gets tired. Works for us…….

I agree, it’s good to know you can just get your head down even for half an hour when you get to that stage.

Congrats on the completed long passage, something to be proud of :thumb:

7.5kn average is fast! Can you remind us all of the engine of Muirgen? Best wishes from the other side of the world!

Now this I know this! It’s a Gardner !!
I’ve been following since cast off …most interesting,informative,thread!
Waiting for the canal pre-transit ,transit postings.

Congrats on making it to Panama!!!!

Did you guys get checked in okay with the cats? Or will that happen tomorrow?

How is the marina (except for pool)? Marina here at Huatulco is pretty beat up. Surge to boot. Quite a few boats here waiting for T-Pec winds to die down.

Peter

Muirgen's Dragon is a Gardner 8LXB. In-line 8 cylinder, single engine, driving a Hundested, 36" CPP (controllable pitch propeller). Love that combination!

Congrats on making it to Panama!!!!

Did you guys get checked in okay with the cats? Or will that happen tomorrow?

How is the marina (except for pool)? Marina here at Huatulco is pretty beat up. Surge to boot. Quite a few boats here waiting for T-Pec winds to die down.

Peter

No one ever asked about the cats. Not sure who we would have reported it to anyway.

The marina here is pretty good. Newer docks, and they have a sliding cleat system here that allows them to locate the cleats in the correct position for each boat. Really brilliant! However . . . . The marina has a really "sterile" feel about it. None of the homey ambiance that we experienced at numerous previous marinas. The people on the dock are welcoming, but just not that homey feeling.

The marina is NOT near anything. Some of the information we got when making reservations turned out to not be accurate. For example: There is a free van that can take you into Coronado for shopping, but you taxi back. Reality: No van. Also, no pool. They say there is a new pool opening in two weeks. . . . but no one can tell us where said pool is . . . . or point to it . . . .

There is a lot of surge here in the marina. Not well sheltered from the East, and really windy, at least that is what we are experiencing right now.

That marina report cracked me up: "a new pool opening in two weeks..." Yeah, sure. But this happens in the first world, too. The Shellharbour Marina promised shore facilities for two years; the first builder went broke, and the second one took an additional 18 months to finish the job.

a Gardner 8LXB. In-line 8 cylinder, single engine, driving a Hundested, 36" CPP
. A perfect combination, and I am sure she sounds good, too.

Bahia del Sol, El Salvador additional thoughts:

We departed BDS the day prior to Rum Truffle attempting to come in. It was . . . interesting. The pilot boat was in front of us, until it wasn't. He had slowed back, moved to the right, then gone behind us by 100+ yards stating that it was too rough for him out in front of us! I asked him twice if we needed to back up and abort. No reply, then he stated that he could not see the way clear for us since he was in back of us, and that if we could see the way clear, to go!

Okay, big problem here. We’re not from here. Our sole experience with crossing an entrance bar was coming in days previously, where we made it in safe . . . but there was not a lot of information communication between the pilot and us. For instance, once we got over the bar, the pilot asked "Do you have the channel?" For information, there IS NO channel marked on the chart. There are red and green buoys marked on Navionics just inside the two sand spits to right and left, but they weren't actually there in real life, just on the electronic chart. No depth soundings, no channel marked. I just picked midpoint between the two sand spits, and headed in, watching the depth sounder while the pilot boat headed back over the bar to guide the next boat in. The channel widened out, and got deeper, but I had no way of knowing for sure that was going to happen.

The pilot boat headed back out to bring in three more power boats who had come down from Chiapas, MX with us.

Back to the exit on Wednesday morning, 6 March. When the pilot told me to "go if we could see the way clear", other than seeing the area, where we assumed the bar to be where the waves marching in were not breaking (as much), we had no idea where the deeper water was supposed to be. That's what the pilot boat was for. Still well short of the bar, the water depth was getting shallower, decreasing from 13' to about 11'. I felt I was getting closer to the sand spit to the West, since I was edging over to where the pilot boat had been before he unassed the AO and got behind us.

If we had aborted, it would have required going astern in the breaking waves, steering with the bow thruster, not knowing exactly how deep it was behind me, or attempting to turn around to right or left in the time period between wave sets, using thrust, rudder, and bow thruster to maximize the rate of turn. Problem with that is that at 50' and 85,000 lbs, this boat doesn't exactly turn on a dime, so based on the experience of attempting the departure on 2 March, which was aborted due to worse conditions at the bar than were forecast, I knew that we were going to take one set of waves broadside while in the middle of the turn. The elephant in the room, was not knowing exactly where the channel was (that's what the pilot boat is supposed to be for), We didn't know where the deeper water was, so we didn't know which direction to turn.

So I made the decision to go straight ahead, picking the point midway between the breaking waves and hoping for the best, as the decision that had the best chance of success. Apparently I guessed correctly, as we crossed the bar without further incident. Video Laura shot showed the depth sounder reporting a depth as shallow as 8.2 feet, so one of three things happened.

• First, that may indeed have been the max depth of the actual, if I was in it
  • Second, the 8.2 foot reading may have been when our boat was in a serious trough
  • Third, I may have not been in the actual channel, if such indeed indeed existed, but may have been off to one side or the other. Not knowing where the “12 foot deep” channel actually was, this is a definite possibility.
The two boats following us out, a catamaran that drew about 4’, and a mono-hulled sailboat, draft unknown, also successfully crossed the bar as well. We’re not sure if the pilot boat was in front of them, showing them the way, or behind them, as it was for our exit.

As far as we know, we were the 5th to last boat to successfully cross the Bahia del Sol bar inbound or outbound prior to the Rum Truffle’s disastrous loss. The reported 4.5’ draft power boat who came in first reported no issues.

The owner/operator of the 2nd boat, Long Winded, drawing 6 foot draft, stated that they hit bottom multiple times during the crossing in, then broached, laying on their side with the spreader bar in the water (so about 90 degree roll), then righted itself and passed over the bar. Rum Truffle, reported draft at 7’, drew 1 foot MORE water than Long Windid. Long Windid reported what had occurred to the pilot boat, who replied that they mis-read the waves . . . . Rum Truffle viewed the entire encounter, and asked the pilot boat what had happened. The pilot boat reassured Rum Truffle that all was okay, and they would guide them safely across the bar. My opinion: Rum Truffle should have been waved off by the pilot boat. But I wasn’t there.

We had serious concerns about crossing the bar into Bahia del Sol. Frankly, we had no prior experience navigating entrance bars, and were also concerned with potentially getting stuck inside the bar, unable to leave BDS, and potentially missing our 19 March, scheduled Panama Canal Transit. If we stayed in BDS for 1 week, we would still 15 days to get to Panama City, a straight through run of 4 days, or about 11 days leeway for unexpected weather, or other issues, which would have left us with some time to slow down and visit more places on the way to Panama City.

Now it is coming out that many MANY boats have apparently struck the bar while attempting to cross, sustaining damage during the passage.
It has also come out that the pilot boat does not have any way of determining depth except a lead line, and also has no GPS to accurately determine or chart depths, or the location of any passage they may actually find . . . . This is irresponsible, if not criminal in my opinion.

As soon as Mark was safely recovered by the pilot boat, the pangas descended and immediately began stripping the wreck. No attempt was made by any authorities to prevent the looting. By the next morning, Rum Truffle had been stripped of anything that swimmers, divers, or looters could take, steal, or unbolt from the wreck.

Based on what we knew at the time, we elected to go into BDS, being swayed by the argument that “Thousands of boats have made the crossing before you, without incident, you’re being overly cautious!”

We did the risk assessment, looking at the risks, looking at possible outcomes ranging from best case of: “Successful crossing, no issues”, to worst case: “Loss of boat, loss of life”. I’m not being melodramatic here. My career background is Aviation, flying fixed wing aircraft, rotor wing aircraft (helicopters), single engine, multi-engine, instrument flight, NOE (Nap of the Earth), Night Vision Goggles, private and commercial, etc, for 30+ years, as well as being an aircraft mechanic, Aviation Safety Officer, and Aircraft Accident Investigator. I did risk assessments all the time, both formal, and informal. It was a way of life, and in many respects it has translated over to boating as well.

Conclusions:

• Knowing what we knew prior to crossing into BDS, had we done a formal risk assessment, our decision to cross the bar with a pilot boat would still have been to cross.
  • Knowing what we knew AFTER crossing the bar into BDS, had we done a formal risk assessment, our decision would have been NOT to cross the bar into BDS, even with the assistance of a pilot boat, instead, bypassing Bahia del Sol due to safety concerns.
  • Once we had crossed the bar into BDS, our choices were limited, as we HAD to cross the bar outbound in order to continue our cruising life. We felt the risks were mitigated by doing the smart things, using a pilot boat, aborting the first exit attempt due to high surf, picking our window/bar conditions/tidal conditions, but if we had not already been inside the bar, we would not have intentionally chose to do the crossing again given the limited risk mitigation we had control over.
  • If our boat drew 4’ or less, rather than the 5.5’ it does, our decision might well change, but apparently a catamaran, drawing only 3' is reported to have touched bottom several weeks ago, following the instructions of the pilot boat. Knowing what we know now, and given the mitigation efforts in effect up to time of the Rum Truffle loss, and the only mitigation efforts that BDS has stated it will be doing, I do not feel that the Bahia del Sol bar is safe for regular traffic drawing more than 4’.
  • There is much institutional knowledge coming out now regarding how many boats have suffered damage or loss crossing the BDS bar, but it is as if that information, to this point, was intentional stifled.
  • There is a serious lack of communication between the pilot boat and the boats being assisted in and out that needs to be addressed.
  • We were never asked if we had any experience with any bar crossings, or BDS in particular. Communication between pilot boat and assisted boat in my opinion needs to be more like what happens when an aircraft is doing a GCA (Ground Control Approach). The aircraft is taking heading, altitude, and speed instructions from the Ground Controller. On final approach, the Ground Controller talks continuously to the aircraft, so that the aircraft knows that the line of communication is open. If there is a break in communication for, say 10 seconds, the aircraft assumes that communication is lost and executes a missed approach. A similar approach (no pun intended) is recommended for crossing the bar. The pilot boat should be in continuous communication with the assisted vessel, reassuring the assisted vessel that all is well. For us, there were multiple times when we weren’t sure whether we were still in communication, with our calls being unanswered by the pilot boat
  • Just because we made it over the BDS bar and back out again without damage or injury does not mean that we had made the right call. In retrospect, for Rum Truffle, even for the best of reasons it was the wrong call.

Last edited:
Scot - let's start a new thread on BDS. It can't be buried in another thread. Part of the problem is no one knew the danger level until a boat was lost and then stories like yours (and several others) popped out.

I'll be blunt DO NOT CROSS THE BAR AT BAHIA DEL SOL. IT IS NOT SAFE EVEN WITH A PILOT. HE IS PAID $10/DAY AND HAS NO DEPTH SOUNDER. NO GPS, NO ROUTE TRACKING. HE HAS NO SKIN IN THE GAME IF HE GUESSES WRONG .

Peter

Last edited:
Scot,

Your report above needs to be pinned by the moderators, I feel, or made a separate thread and pinned—it is the best risk assessment process description I have read, ever.

The back story is that I often drive a Marine Rescue vessel here, when I am on a shift, and most rescues are done when the weather is snotty; the swell is big and heading in to the bar; and the tide outgoing... you get the picture. We get called out when someone needs rescuing, and not when it's the best time to cross the bar here (mouth of the Shoalhaven River, NSW South Coast). I have often been told by the Pilot House (which sits right above the bar) that after giving a bar report from their perspective, "it's your call as skipper" as to whether to proceed. This is accurate.

I am certain that you would have put your vessel and crew at risk had you tried to turn around; broaching would have been a real risk, as you noted.

As well, I am certain that Rum Truffle's additional draft was an important factor in her attempt to cross.

Thank you sincerely in writing this comprehensive report.

[@Peter: we posted at the same time, it seems.]

Last edited:
Bahia del Sol, El Salvador additional thoughts: We departed BDS the day prior to Rum Truffle attempting to come in. It was . . . interesting. The pilot boat was in front of us, until it wasn't. He had slowed back, moved to the right, then gone behind us by 100+ yards stating that it was too rough for him out in front of us! I asked him twice if we needed to back up and abort. No reply, then he stated that he could not see the way clear for us since he was in back of us, and that if we could see the way clear, to go!

. . . [F]or us, there were multiple times when we weren’t sure whether we were still in communication, with our calls being unanswered by the pilot boat
[*]Just because we made it over the BDS bar and back out again without damage or injury does not mean that we had made the right call. In retrospect, for Rum Truffle, even for the best of reasons it was the wrong call.

Apologies if I missed it up-thread - is there a charge for pilotage at Bahia del Sol? If so then their value proposition is weak.

The story about Rum Truffle is soul crushing - I am so sorry for her skipper, but very glad that Muirgen and her crew crossed in both directions unscathed, except perhaps for the adrenaline overload.

Agree, SteveK, 100%. The longest two-person four on–four off continuous watch was on a delivery, and that was only 62 hours. Four days is heroic.

On one seven-day offshore sailing delivery, the other sailor and I alternated standing four-hour watches by day, and two hours on-and-off at night. On arrival at our destination I must say I was more exhausted than I have ever been, before or since. It beat single-handing, I guess, but no more of that for me, ever again.

Apologies if I missed it up-thread - is there a charge for pilotage at Bahia del Sol? If so then their value proposition is weak.

The story about Rum Truffle is soul crushing - I am so sorry for her skipper, but very glad that Muirgen and her crew crossed in both directions unscathed, except perhaps for the adrenaline overload.

THere is a $50 charge for the pilot boat. He makes $10/day and is an employee of the hotel.

I don't know the owner of Rum Truffle well. He was a full time cruiser. He lost a lot, including a lot of personal stuff that was looted.

Folks, I hate to ask, but I know he'd be overwhelmed with even a small show of random generosity. Buy the guy a beer with even a small gift on his GoFundMe page. https://www.gofundme.com/f/rum-truffle-wrecked-then-striped

This could have easily been Scot or me. The folks who are stuck behind the bar at Bahia del Sol are hopping mad (at least a couple of them are).

Peter

Back
Top Bottom