Painting over painted teak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grahambda

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bom Dia
Vessel Make
DeFever 44 OC
When we purchased our 1990 DeFever trawler, we had the notion to bring
all the teak back to its former glory. However all of the teak, toe rails, guard rails, window frames, doors, steps, etc. had all been painted white, and now most of it is flaked.

After many hours of using a heat gun and scrapper I have come to the realization that this will be project that will exceed the years I have left. So reluctantly plan b is to sand it all down using 80/120 grit and paint over . But with what? Looking at Awlgrip, which seems to be a lesson in chemistry to mix and apply correctly. Are there any other recommendations for a primer and topcoat?

Thanks for any advice,

Rgds Graham.

I like Kiwigrip since it covers problems well and is latex so cleanup is easy. No VOCs so no PPE required. It makes an excellent nonskid but it wears like iron. On a previous boat I had to sand some off to do a fiberglass repair and I finally got it off with 40 grit on my belt sander with a lot of sanding.

If you want to stay a single pack, one part system, certainly for internal teak, which is an oil rich (bleed through) timber, a spirit based stain sealer/blocker firstly, then a primer-sealer-undercoat, then an enamel topcoat both water based.
I can’t recommend a brand because I’m in a different country, but the Hempel company produces a good product.
Externally I used, from bare teak, three coats of 2K epoxy primer and three coats of polyurethane 2K topcoat, I needed the three primer coats to cover the bleed through.
It’s all very labour intensive regardless of 1K or 2K, I chose the 2K for external work to lengthen the timeframe to redo again, it’s a tough, durable surface with incredible gloss retention.
The downsides to 2K is the expense of the product, associated thinners, PPE and the wastage of single use rollers, trays, brushes, gloves etc.

If you do choose 2K, you need to make sure any paint being covered up is also 2K, as the solvents will blister any 1K paint and ruin the finished surface.
No problem going over 2K with 1K though.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. C. Mr. G did not mention decks. He appears to be asking about everything except decks. Having used KiwiGrip (KG) for decks, I fully agree it IS great stuff...for decks.

Removal of KG can be eased by first soaking the area with an acetone saturated rag. After several minutes the denatured KW can be peeled off with a putty knife.

Too late now but if one is contemplating painting teak trim, a couple of coats of varnish or Cetol prior to painting will ease paint removal in the future as the paint won't have soaked into the bare teak necessitating a lot of sanding.

Back
Top Bottom