Preparing AL Water Tanks for Summer Haul Out in SW FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimL

Vessel Name
Lemon Drops
Vessel Make
2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
All all,

We are preparing to haul out a GB Europa 52 with two 250 gallon AL water tanks.
We are seeing conflicting information about how to pickle our water tanks for the summer hurricane season on the hard.

If you have recommendations of how to prepare the water tanks for the season? Also the diesel tanks as well?

We've been on board for two years and have not had to do this yet. Our last layup was in the winter in New England several years ago.

Thanks all - Jim and Karen on M/V Lemon Drops
2001 Grand Banks Europa 52 - currently in Punta Gorda, FL

I would just empty the water tanks. For the fuel tanks make sure you have an additive to prevent microbe growth but one summer shouldn't be much of a concern for diesel. Far bigger concern is humidity in the cabin for which you'll want to try and keep some air flowing through the boat and keep the humidity as low as possible. The damp-rid stuff helps.

Jim, I have done this the last 8 summers in Stuart FL. The city water is fine for 4 months just the way it is. I add a bio to my diesel as a treatment to prevent growth. I run 2 dehumidifiers set at 55 that drain thru overboard thru hulls. Damp Rid hanger bags in the closets work well. Open all drawers, floor hatches, and refrigerators. I have WIFI cameras on my power panel to let me know my dehumidifiers are working. Boat is dry and relatively dust free upon return in October. Good luck

Have done this in the windwards several times. The RV 100 potable water antifreeze is cidal if not diluted . It won’t damaged plumbing and can be used to pickle most watermakers. It doesn’t react to metals to my knowledge.
As stated above empty the tank(s). Although you have no worrries about freezing if you do the same program as you did winterizing up North when you return (if you used 100) there will be no bacterial growth in your tanks or plumbing or WM.

I drain the water tank, and use PureTaste freshener when refilling. BioBore the deisel tanks.
These mildewcide bags really work. Nothing else needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom