Pressure testing the shaft log?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Any recommendations on how I can pressure test my shaft log? Roughly 2 1/8” I.D.
I’ve got the cutless bearing at the aft end removed. Still working on getting the one at the forward end of the log/tube off. Is it also considered a cutless bearing? I don’t see that it has a replaceable bearing in the bronze housing unit. It definitely has wear and will need to be replaced. (Sorry no pictures). The part I’m trying to explain is bolted to a crossmember has a hose clamped to it and the other end of packing unit. I’ve gotten all the nuts removed but haven’t been able to get it removed from the cross member yet. Seems to be lightly glassed in.
Once I get that removed and have both ends of the shaft log exposed I’d like to pressure test the tube before I go forward with removing it.

IMG_2223.jpeg
the unit I’m trying to still remove is bolted to the crossmember aft of the stuffing box and on the other end of the hose from the stuffing box.

It doesn’t look like there was any kind of sealant on the back side of the cutless bearing between the housing and the log. So I just want to be sure that the log is actually leaking before I try to get it out.
IMG_2263.jpeg
IMG_2264.jpeg

Last edited:
Has anyone tried sleeving the shaft log?
I ordered the appropriate stuff to be able pressure test the tube from Mcmaster-Carr. If it indead does not pass the test I was wondering what the feasability is to run a fiberglass sleeve. Shaft size is 1 1/2" and tube appears to be about 2 3/16 i.d.

I'll be up at the boat again this weekend to try to get the engine room side cutlass bearing off. Still trying to weigh my options.

I see no reason you couldn't run a sleeve inside the old shaft log if you had the clearance. You might have some trouble getting the right sized tube though. It's possible you could turn the OD and ID of a thicker G10 tube at a machine shop to size. Also possible to create a boring tool to open up the existing tool, but that would take making a custom boring tool, also at a machine shop. You might check with Centek and see what they have for custom sizes too. Perhaps you will get lucky.

Back
Top Bottom