Question on installation of fuel lift pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbouch

I have a question regarding the installation of the primary lift pump on a Perkins 3.6544. For those of you who are familiar with the engine it is relatively a very simple engine in that it is totally manual....over last summer I developed a leak at the point of connection for the fuel supply. The fuel supply is a rubber hose connection into a copper 90 degree fitting which looks like some type of compression fitting.. I was able to tighten this fitting up but the leak did not stop. Leak = drip onto a diaper. I thought that the fitting was somehow crushed or deformed enough that it was not seating correctly within the fuel pump so I ordered a new fitting from Trans Atlantic Diesel. It came with two rubber collars. I called trans atlantic and they told me that some fuel pumps required them. I looked into the existing pump and saw no evidence of any rubber collar so I installed the new 90 and it still drips. I called Trans Atlantic back today and they told me that the collar was required or it would drip...OK Stupid me....Question, has anyone else every seen or used a rubber collar on what I would describe as a compression fitting?? Thanks, Cliff

I had exactly the same experience on a friend's Perkins. We installed a new fuel pump and I was familiar enough with connections to see that the fitting that inserted into the body of the fuel pump required an "O-ring" (rubber seal ring) to make it seal. We went to a nearby shop and got an O-ring out of their box of bits and it sealed just fine.

This comment applies to sealing the connection between the fuel pump body and the adapter fitting which connects to the tubing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom