Refuge Cove BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hokulele

Fairly new as a trawler owner, long time long distance sailer. Made the move a few years ago and it has been good.
Question for BC cruisers.
Can anyone give details of the store and grill operations at Refuge Cove, Desolation Sound. Specifically, is the grill open these days?
David

I was there last year in October. The restaurant was closed but everything else was going. I am quite sure that it will be open during the summer months. Here are two phone numbers to contact them- Marina- 250-935-6659 and Cafe- 604-787-9464. Keep in mind that the docks are quite busy during the main tourist season. I was near Refuge Cove just a few days ago and noticed a lot more boats around then a few weeks ago and it is only early June. Lots of US boats cruising up to our area this year- perhaps we really are past Covid!

Everything will be fully operational July 1.

Leave everything behind and get it at Refuge Cove, these folks deserve all the support you can give them.

The very least we can do is give them a plug https://refugecove.com/

The last time I was in the store, they had a good beer and wine selection. If you didn't stop at Nanaimo or Pender on the way up, here's your place.

I was there 3 days ago. Store is stocked, restaurant is being reburbished with a lot of construction going on, they seemed to think it will be operational July 1 as soin2la says. Fuel dock functional. It's kind of a unique place that deserves a visit.

Thanks for the updates. Will be there in August and always enjoyed a stopover and lunch while restocking.
D

Late I know.
We didn't make Refuge last summer but normally we stop on the way to the Broughtons.
Sometimes just overnight , sometimes for an extra day or two.
It is a good place to stop.
Hopefully next year we will be going to the Broughtons again.

I stopped in at Refuge Cove around July 10th. The fuel dock was open and priced competitive given its location. The store was open and fully stocked. The Grill had been completely remodeled and was putting out good food. The Nic-nak store was open and well stocked. Traffic was heavy. I’m guessing they had one of their best years ever.

On August 16 , 1230 midnight my anchor drug. It was like operating a boat with your eyes closed. A real nightmare. Our tender got crushed, but save the big boat, and there was no Moonlight . I plan to make a video of this nightmare in order for others to be warned ahead of time. Pat

Search YouTube for Patrick D Garvey. I made a video called a ‘’night of terror in refuge Cove “….. there are a lot of lessons that can be learned.

Help me understand what I just watched.
Where you dragging the hook, without power, along the yellow track from start to rescue? How much time passed?

Attachments

• Refuge Cove.jpg
    Refuge Cove.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 21
If you think anchoring in Refuge Cove is a challenge wait til you see what the whirlpools at Big Bay have in store for you.

Refuge, COVE, and big bay

I initially drug my anchor, the yellow line shows how the wind blew me all over refuge. COVE, it’s called a Willywaw. Being in the helm, I could not feel the wind blowing me around the bay. Also being pitch dark I could not see anything I would guess that it was about an hour before I finally got to the fuel dock.
As far as big bay, I have been there several times in the early 1990s fishing the world pools out of an 18 foot boat. I understand now that there is 1000 foot dock that you can tie up to and use your tender to explore the area like Dent island, sea lion rock. I found the area to be very exciting in the old days. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Pat.

Thank you for sharing this experience and glad it turned out as well as it did, in that circumstance!

Were you able to start up the engine and use it at all?

In thinking about the situation, I can see a few potential lessons but wonder what you think whether they could have helped.

1. Whether guides/charts would have steered away from the rocky anchorage?

2. As you said, seeing so few boats is a sign of something

3. Did the weather forecast or Windy warn of the winds?

4. Would a second anchor on the bow have helped at all? Or maybe off the stern? I'm guessing it was too rough to go out and deal with it? Also very dark.

Just an observation about that area...Refuge Cove, Squirrel Cove, Tenedos, Grace Harbor, Okeover inlet. Over 40 years or so, I've seen more unstable weather in that area than others including the north BC coast and SE AK. Some nights in July and August would be squally, a lot of thunder and lightening. Even saw a water spout, right in front of Refuge Cove. Never seen many boats anchor in Refuge Cove though, maybe due to a hard bottom. Only a few miles to Squirrel Cove, shallow and mud bottom.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom