Repair westerbeke or replace and with what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpinnn

Vessel Name
Periwinkle
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
Ok, my last thread delt with repair generator or go inverter and larger house bank with solar. I decided to go with generator and add some solar (330 Watts. ) So now the question is do I repair the Generator or replace with another and what type. The Westerbeke has 960 hours on it. The Diesel runs well, the generator smoked no output. I can replace generator portion, back end with rebuilt or new. Both are available. The problem is removing. The marina supposed to do the work wants to remove the engine and generator one piece. This will be difficult as the generator is to the left of a small door, large enough to slide the unit out after removing the mounts and parts of the sound box. Then the unit needs to be rotated about 20 degrees clockwise to come through the opening. it will just fit. The generator will have to be lifted by human power up about 2 1/2 feet to the salon the up again out the door and over the deck rails. A lot of work and I see tons of damage possibilities. I propose just rotating so the back end is at the door and replacing the back end, OR should I bite the bullet and replace the whole unit with another brand. I seem to remember other sayings the generator portion has given them problems and have had to replace it twice. Any experience or thoughts I would appreciate.
Ken
PS something smaller in size would be a welcome but I see nothing smaller.

Rotate it, pull the gen head off, send it to Broward Armature for a rebuild.

Sounds like your easiest and cheapest option.

David

Have you determined the cause of the no output situation? Lots of simple things can make the output go away.
That said the Phasor Compact 6 Kw is a nice unit.

If the generator has 960 total hours, I would find a professional generator technician. Twice I thought my buddy's generator end had died from to much full load use. Each time the technician came out and diagnosed the problem with a low cost repair. From recollection he lost a capacitor one time and another time an electrical wire (not the winding) failed from vibration.

Ted

My Westerbeke 8KW died last year. The engine ran great but there was only about 12V output. The problem was one of the diodes that are internal to the windings failed. The only fix was to rewind the field coils. (Poor design in my estimation) I had a rebuilt generator (not the engine) put in. We were able to do that in place by unbolting it from the engine. The generator portion weighs about 150# as I remember. We built a sling to get it up to floor level. Have a Westerbeke tech who is familar with your model of Westerbeke take a look at it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom