Seapiper 35 Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chiropaul

Vessel Name
Grey Ghost
Vessel Make
Seapiper 35
Hello everyone,
There has been much discussion on this forum regarding these vessels. Lot's of knowledgeable people, lots of misinformation regarding much about these boats.

I am the new owner of Grey Ghost, the vessel seen on Yachtworld and other sites. I had the boat surveyed today after having spent several days checking her out on my own, as I live only 45 minutes away. Sea trialed as well on the Great South Bay on Long Island.

So here's the story as told to me by the current owner who bought this boat from an auction house he has done business with in the past. The propane tank did not explode. The stove had for lack of a better word and explosion which knocked out the rear starboard pilothouse window. No fire damage , no smoke damage only a couple of gelcoat cracks at the interior of the rear pilothouse door.

I was told the insurance company was going to go after the stove manufacturer, so when the stove was removed, the propane locker at the rear bulkhead was cut into to remove the propane lines by cutting out about a 6"x 8" piece and about the same size piece in the garbage can locker inside. Simple fiberglass repairs for me. There was not any structural damage to the sides of the pilothouse, the hull or the bulkhead and any tabbing to the hull.

My feeling is that somebody knew somebody if you get my drift. The current owner bought it sight unseen, for about what I ended up paying, based on the recommendation of the person he knew at the auction house.

As we all know, theses are unique boats, that don't appeal to many people. That being said, IT DEFINITELY APPEALED TO ME:):).

I spoke to Keith Dykes at Beta Marine about the engine regarding any remaining warranty and he told me to make sure on sea trial that she turned up to 2800rpm. We got within 50 rpm. Turned out hull was dirty on haulout and some barnacles on the prop.

Regarding the sea trial we had the surveyor, me, the broker and the owners captain on board. The boat surprised all of us as we expected it to be tender. At speed is was not at all. I had the captain turn us beam to, to about 2' rollers and we barely rocked. We were all shocked!!

So I'm sorry for the long post, but this is a 2022 boat, fully operational for a super price. If in the future, after cruising for a bit, I find the boat more rolly than I like, a seakeeper is not out of the question based on what I've paid.

Thanks to all for reading and I'll try to keep you posted on any additions I make to her. Keeping the name as it's quite apropos relative to my age:lol::lol:

Thanks for the report.

As we all know, theses are unique boats, that don't appeal to many people. That being said, IT DEFINITELY APPEALED TO ME:):).
Me too. Congratulations.

I had a neighbor in Seldovia who had "tarted up" a Cordova bowpicker including a nicely crafted forecabin in lieu of all the fish gear. I've suspected the Seapiper designer had started from the same idea. Wish I could find a better picture.

Attachments

• bowpicker.jpg
    bowpicker.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I am a bit envious of the deal you got. If I had been closer than 3000 miles, I'd have beat you to it!

Hello everyone,
There has been much discussion on this forum regarding these vessels. Lot's of knowledgeable people, lots of misinformation regarding much about these boats.

I am the new owner of Grey Ghost, the vessel seen on Yachtworld and other sites. I had the boat surveyed today after having spent several days checking her out on my own, as I live only 45 minutes away. Sea trialed as well on the Great South Bay on Long Island.

So here's the story as told to me by the current owner who bought this boat from an auction house he has done business with in the past. The propane tank did not explode. The stove had for lack of a better word and explosion which knocked out the rear starboard pilothouse window. No fire damage , no smoke damage only a couple of gelcoat cracks at the interior of the rear pilothouse door.

I was told the insurance company was going to go after the stove manufacturer, so when the stove was removed, the propane locker at the rear bulkhead was cut into to remove the propane lines by cutting out about a 6"x 8" piece and about the same size piece in the garbage can locker inside. Simple fiberglass repairs for me. There was not any structural damage to the sides of the pilothouse, the hull or the bulkhead and any tabbing to the hull.

My feeling is that somebody knew somebody if you get my drift. The current owner bought it sight unseen, for about what I ended up paying, based on the recommendation of the person he knew at the auction house.

I spoke to Keith Dykes at Beta Marine about the engine regarding any remaining warranty and he told me to make sure on sea trial that she turned up to 2800rpm. We got within 50 rpm. Turned out hull was dirty on haulout and some barnacles on the prop.

Regarding the sea trial we had the surveyor, me, the broker and the owners captain on board. The boat surprised all of us as we expected it to be tender. At speed is was not at all. I had the captain turn us beam to, to about 2' rollers and we barely rocked. We were all shocked!!

So I'm sorry for the long post, but this is a 2022 boat, fully operational for a super price. If in the future, after cruising for a bit, I find the boat more rolly than I like, a seakeeper is not out of the question based on what I've paid.

Thanks to all for reading and I'll try to keep you posted on any additions I make to her. Keeping the name as it's quite apropos relative to my age:lol::lol:

congrats.. I really like these boats

History of Grey Ghost

I was the original owner of Grey Ghost. I launched the boat for the first time on Aug 13 2022 and took her out a mile and a half or so to my mooring at the Ipswich Bay Yacht Club in Massachusetts. On the 14th I slept over on the boat at the mooring. At about 6:30 the next morning, I made some eggs and began to boil my coffee in the percolator, which takes some time. I was standing at the sink when the explosion happened. The next thing I knew I was on my hands and knees on the cockpit floor, breathing acrid smoke. My forearms suffered light burns, and the hair was singed off my neck. Some of the joinery was split, the glass over the breaker panel shattered and the panel itself was on the floor. The "escape hatch" over the rear of the cockpit popped out of its moorings, as did the stove itself and the refrigerator. Most surprising, I had my binocs outside the boat, sitting on one of the cockpit cushions. The cushions both went the Kingdom Come, and the binocs split in half.

I don't believe there was anything wrong with the stove itself. The adjusters concluded that the workers in China who hooked up the stove neglected to attach the brass fitting from the gas line to the burners even "finger tight," and the entire bilge filled with propane over the 20 minutes or so that the stove was operating. So it seems to me that any subrogation claim would have been against the manufacturer of the boat. Before he clammed up on me, Ritzo Muntinga told me that if the hull were not so stoutly built, if it were a Beneteau for example, the hull would have fractured and I would have been in the water.

I myself raised the question with the adjusters whether the boat could be repaired given that the only visible cracks were in the gelcoat. Their view, I think, was that since the explosion was in the bilge, INSIDE the boat, and there was sort of "pressure wave" damage OUTSIDE the boat, perhaps structural stuff between the two was compromised, and potential hull delamination rendered the boat a total loss. Hence they paid me up to the limits of my policy.

Your note seems to suggest some sort of "hanky-panky," perhaps on my part. If there was any hanky-panky in this, it was on the part of the buyer at auction who presumably knew this history, or could have found out, and who (or his successor in interest) nevertheless listed the boat with a major yacht broker, saying only that the seller was "motivated." This is disgraceful.

Last edited:
PS If the boat were repairable in the eyes of the insurance adjusters, I was going to rename her "Narrow Escape."

PS If the boat were repairable in the eyes of the insurance adjusters, I was going to rename her "Narrow Escape."

I am glad you were not injured beyond minor burns etc.

Perhaps all gas stoves installations would benefit by having a few ‘sniffers’?
If there was one installed in the bilge perhaps this would have not happened??
One in a cabinet near the stove and one in the propane locker?

Last edited:
Hello Joe,
First let me say thank goodness you were not seriously injured in the explosion. Secondly, my sincerest apologies to you for what appeared to be me insinuating you were involved in any "hanky panky". I was surprised that the boat had been totalled as well. I have seen instances where adjusters themselves have something going with the insurance carriers for their benefit. Saw it happen at my club after super storm Sandy, and not at the behest of anyone at the club. So please, again, accept my apology for what I wrote.

I've owned boats since 1978, and have done extensive re-coring jobs to decks and hardtops,etc. in the past. You know what they say, a little knowledge can at times be problematic. However, in this case, it allowed me to search deeply around the bulkheads in particular in the bilge looking for broken tabbing, etc. I could find none. I did see some minor gelcoat damage, and I mean minor , around the stern entry to the cabin. Found that the rear, port side cockpit locker had a small split around the bottom edges internally , which I'll be repairing. Also noted that the cockpit hatch gas strut was apparently torn off. As there is a solid door over the electric panel, had no idea that it had been glass. Also the hinge at the bottom of the panel needs some minor realigning. I did find out after it rained heavily here the day after the survey, that the hatch over the dinette leaks like a sieve and I'll be replacing it as the current owner only put some poorly caulked plexiglass in it. You also answered what happened to the cockpit cushions :)

As far as the hull, on survey with hammer and moisture meter sounding, there were no voids that could be heard and no increased moisture content of the lamminations that could be determined. Interior of the hull was fair in the areas that could be seen.

Thank you for providing the true story as to what lead to the boats loss.
Wishing you the best,
Paul

Thank you, Much appreciated !!

I luv these boats! Please post pics.

Hello again,
This past Sunday, July 23, I moved the boat from Bayshore, on the south shore of Long Island in the Great South Bay, to a temporary slip at my old yacht club in East Rockaway. This is about a 30 mile trip, and one I've done numerous times in the past when going east or to Fire Island. I knew that a weekend day in this area and especially in the State boat channel would be a zoo!! It did not let me down and was much worse than I remembered. What I mean is the total lack of consideration from boats passing at high speed throwing huge wakes in a confined area. As long as I had time to respond and take these wakes properly, no problem. However, on a number of occasions I missed, and let me tell you this boat rocks and rolls with the best of them :).
About an hour after leaving Bayshore, I lost steering. I dropped the hook, and lo and behold the fitting holding the hydraulic piston had separated. Just as well could have happened during the sea trial, but didn't. Fortunately I had a few wrenches on board and mad the repair. The rest of the trip was wonderful. Boat ran quietly and at 2050 rpm cruised between 6.8 and 7.5 kts depending on direction of current.

Here's a few pictures from the survey and Sunday's trip (my son took the one in motion)

Attachments

• IMG_2301.jpg
    IMG_2301.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2302.jpg
    IMG_2302.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2303.jpg
    IMG_2303.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3702.jpg
    IMG_3702.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 61
In 2018 I took a drive up to OC from San Diego and met Ritzo, the designer/owner of the company. I fell in love... with the Seapiper, not Ritzo. It's not a practical purchase for me. I'm going to retire on my Mainship and recreate on my tiny Ranger Tug... but I do love the Seapiper. Good luck.

My next slip neighbor had a propane explosion last year. 36' Hunter sail. The blast was powerful enough that even after blowing out the portholes, it separated the main deck from the hull and demasted her. It was a lucky day. The guy and his dog walked out of there with singed eyebrows and a shocked look on their faces but no serious injury. The boats on either had a mess to clean-up but no significant damage.

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/man-dog-escape-injury-sailboat-explosion/

This is a pretty neat story... finding a unique salvage boat at a price and then having the original owner turn-up. Back to work... Cheers.

Couple of propane sniffers, main cabin and the bilge would have gone a long ways to reduce this.
Soooooo, how was the dog?

A lesson here (that I learned long ago) is when receiving a new boat, or new work on an old boat, check everything that was done carefully, yourself. However much you might hope that a 6 figure boat or $150/hr yard charges would involve conscientious experts, it is not the case enough of the time to cause serious, even fatal problems. I can tell dozens of stories of hose clamps not tightened (or even hoses not replaced), fittings left hand tight, rigging without cotter pins, transmission or engines left dry, etc. You do not know it was done right unless you check it yourself. And often, since you are checking it yourself, you might just as well do the work yourself and save the money on the botched job.

However much you might hope that a 6 figure boat or $150/hr yard charges would involve conscientious experts, it is not the case enough of the time to cause serious, even fatal problems. I can tell dozens of stories of hose clamps not tightened (or even hoses not replaced), fittings left hand tight, rigging without cotter pins, transmission or engines left dry, etc. You do not know it was done right unless you check it yourself. And often, since you are checking it yourself, you might just as well do the work yourself and save the money on the botched job.

Amen! Have been through that kind of experience myself more than once, and coming out of a 4 star yard, at that. A serious yard manager will cooperate happily, as they should be pleased and proud to show off their work. If they grumble about the customer taking time to look at everything, that's a red flag to me.

Agree 1000% with DDW. I'm spending days going over every inch and tightening loose screws, etc. Reinstalling the entrance hatches at the aft end of the pilot house and the entrance to the forward cabin. These hatches are very will built and quite heavy and only two hinges holding them. These hatches are cored with ply and part of the hinge is attached to the end grain and the screws just don't hold. I was able to bolt the
hinge through the hatch in the same location.
The fun has just begun,lol.

The fun has just begun,lol.

Yeah.

I had my sailboat custom built by builders in the top tier of North American yacht builders. Some problems I was able to avoid because I was there, at the yard, a lot of the time during the build. Not necessarily dead wrong things, but not exactly right either. Even so, I've run across things over several years after delivery that needed to be redone. Some that seemed minor but had extensive consequences.

You cannot depend on everything being right, no matter who or where the boat came from.

Great story- I’ve seen and read multiple times how often propane installations are not up to code/standards. Worth a thorough check for everyone who has them.

I’m this day and age of induction cook tops and Li batteries the use of onboard propane can easily be avoided. Safety first

Hello again everyone,
I've been quite busy the past several weeks fixing and cleaning Grey Ghost. The list seemed endless, but I've made great progress and am pretty much finishing up a few items and modifications.

I've replaced the Vetus hatch over the pilothouse dinette, along with the Nico solar vent. Both were damaged in the original explosion. I have a glazier coming next week to replace the pilothouse window that was destroyed at that time as well.

After having some issues with the pilothouse AC unit, including switching the remote panels from the stateroom to the pilothouse, I bit the bullet and had a marine AC service that some of my club members recommended, check out the unit. Wound up replacing the board, eventhough all seemed to be okay. This was more of a financial decision based on the cost of just getting the technician to and from the boat :banghead:. When all was said and done, turned out to be the remote panel which I replaced myself :thumb:.

One thing I must say about Seapiper, is that the book of diagrams of systems and parts used in the vessel has been invaluable. Case in point, no hot water on dockside power. Thought I might need a new element until I looked up the model, downloaded the brochure and learned there is a switch to save the element should it be turned on with no water in the unit. However, to get to that one must stand on their head inside a locker to access this part. But, lo and behold, it had tripped as designed and now there's hot water a plenty:D:D.

Finally, the most disturbing and frustrating issue turned out to be switching the fuel selector valve from the starboard tank to the port, just before leaving my slip for a short ride. As I was about to drop the last line, the engine died!!. Let me just say that after 2 days of troubleshooting the 6 position selector valve and all fittings, it turned our the supply and return lines were switched to and from the filter:blush:. I'm going to assume this happened at the factory, as all the hose runs are gorgeous and sized lengthwise to terminate at the valve or fuel filters. BTW, I'm changing the whole system from the Vetus filters to Racors. Next to impossible to get the Vetus filter elements and they cost around $130 per.

If anyone has read the blog of KIWI, hull number 5, I'm in the process of adding a similar enclosure. Many thanks to the owner , Herman Diebler for the photos to show my canvass maker.

My apologies to all of you who have stuck through this post, but I hope you enjoyed the update. More will follow.
Regards,
Paul

Happy New Year everyone. It's been quite a while since my last post. From my last post until haul out last October, I got just about everything I hoped to accomplish done. The new enclosure was completed. The workmanship was fantastic. Structure is 1-1/4" stainless tubing and built more like a typical bimini, as opposed to KIWI which has welded aluminum structure. I've attached a few photos. Finally replaced the pilothouse window. Wound up purchasing the precut glass from the guy I hired. He had no time to install it, so I contacted an auto glass shop to do the install. Showed them photos so they could see it was basically the same as a windshield to install. They passed but told be what to use and provided primer and suggestions. Took my son and I less than an hour to complete.

I am replacing the dinette table which is 1/2" corian over a 3/4" core material with a wooden table. The original table was soooo heavy it took two people to raise it from a lowered position ( has to weigh over 50lbs after removal). It also sat on 2 pedestals which made getting in and out of the area a real pia. So now I'll have one pedestal and a 25lb table. Also recovering the existing teak and holly vinyl flooring, which has many screw holes in it.

Biggest decision is the installation of a Seakeeper2 gyro. As I said in an earlier post, as long as I'm paying attention to wakes, etc., rolling not an issue. Had the boat out in the Atlantic 2-3 times in 2-3 foot rollers and the same applied. Decided that at my age :), I want to be comfortable. It is an amazing device. Sea trialed the company's boat with the same unit, out of Fire Island, and very impressed. They started their wiring runs before the boat was shrink wrapped. Holes drilled for the thru hulls and remote panel, but most will be done in the spring.

Attachments

• IMG_2469 copy.jpg
    IMG_2469 copy.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2470 copy.jpg
    IMG_2470 copy.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2473 copy.jpg
    IMG_2473 copy.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2475 copy.jpg
    IMG_2475 copy.jpg