Standard Horizon or Icom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Pacific Myst
Vessel Make
West Bay 4500
Time for a new VHF. The old one is very old and dead, just dosen't make sense to have it fixed.

Long ago I favored Icom. But things have changed with that company. What's your preference?

Standard Horizon's price is generally lower and I like their gear as far as usability, the remote mics, etc. However, I remember a recent discussion over on CF where there was some thought that the receivers in the Icom radios might be slightly better, at least for the higher end units from each brand.

I was always told that both were equal, but I have come to disagree with that based on my own experience. Until this current boat, I always had iCom, but I became very frustrated with their defective N2K support, so built this boat with SH VHFs.

Right from the start, I was surprised by the difference in reception quality and clarity. Commercial VTS traffic in Puget Sound, for example, used to always be crystal clear with my iCom VHFs, but instead was always scratchy with the SH radios. I checked all the usual stuff which seemed fine, so decided to try the equivalent iCom. No other changes, just moved the antenna connection from one VHF to the other. I have/had two identical VHFs in the boat, so this left me with a SH and an iCom operating side by side.

All I can say is, wow, what a difference. With the iCom it was right back to the clarity that I remembered from my previous boats. I have since replaced the other SH as well.

Now I'll say that I'm still not a real fan of iCom other than with respect to the core radio performance, which I think is clearly superior. But core radio performance is what's most important, so I prioritize that and tolerate the rest. I also agree with the comment about cost. iComs and noticeably more expensive.

I was always told that both were equal, but I have come to disagree with that based on my own experience. Until this current boat, I always had iCom, but I became very frustrated with their defective N2K support, so built this boat with SH VHFs.

Right from the start, I was surprised by the difference in reception quality and clarity. Commercial VTS traffic in Puget Sound, for example, used to always be crystal clear with my iCom VHFs, but instead was always scratchy with the SH radios. I checked all the usual stuff which seemed fine, so decided to try the equivalent iCom. No other changes, just moved the antenna connection from one VHF to the other. I have/had two identical VHFs in the boat, so this left me with a SH and an iCom operating side by side.

All I can say is, wow, what a difference. With the iCom it was right back to the clarity that I remembered from my previous boats. I have since replaced the other SH as well.

Now I'll say that I'm still not a real fan of iCom other than with respect to the core radio performance, which I think is clearly superior. But core radio performance is what's most important, so I prioritize that and tolerate the rest. I also agree with the comment about cost. iComs and noticeably more expensive.
Thank you for the confirmation. My experience as well has been ICOM is head and shoulders above others in reception quality and clarity. And that this isn't the old ICOM when they truly provided outstanding customer support.

I mostly haven't shopped these two in the same sentence... but we have two installed Icoms, and two hand held Standard Horizons.

Of the two Icoms, one is a model that supports automatic foghorn and hailer listen-back. The foghorn thing is a big deal.

Of the two SH's, one is a gazillion years old and only lives on the trickle charger now... unless/until I decide to have the battery custom rebuilt... again. The other is new, DSC etc, and is said to float.

-Chris

My experience is similar to Twistedtree. SH gives you a lot of bang for the buck but Icom just does the basics better. I can’t fault anyone’s decision between the two.

I had a very good SH on my sailboat for 20 years. When bought my 47' trawler the radio was dead. My boat neighbor had a Uniden and loved it, though his boat almost never left the docks. Went to West Marine and installed it. Later I tried to reach a friends boat in front of me and he had trouble hearing me. So I bought the best antenna I could afford and installed it. I tested by calling the marina office. They had trouble with my signal. So I switched to my hand held SH and they heard me much better. I called an electronics company to come and diagnose. They said there seemed to be something wrong with the radio. Back to WM and they gave me a new Uniden. Back to the boat and the same problem. Then back to WM and an extra $100 and bought the iCom. Next thing I know I'm picking up signal from over the hill, from Mexico, from Los Angeles and I was in San Diego. Always iCom for me now.

I have always preferred Icom but when I recently replaced my VHF I went with a SH GX1850. I wanted a radio with a NMEA2000 jack on the back and Icom now only offers the 510 which requires an extra module and consequently the price is much higher.

I noticed the SH internal speaker is not great so hooked up an external speaker and that helped a lot. I also like the green light on signal receive. One thing I miss is the Icom has a triple beep when a Ch16 signal is received in dual watch mode. Like so many things, everything is a compromise.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Icom's build quality has always been much better, often MILSpec... then again though, I haven't bought anything recently, so maybe they are now being built in the same slave-labor factory on the other side of the Pacific, who knows?

Thanks all for your input. Seems Icom is still top of the game in quality of equipment. However they have slipped in customer support. A VHF is important gear. Icom it will be.

Only Icom and with virtually nothing with which to make comparisons. My Garmin electronics upgrade proposal naturally includes a Garmin VHF system.

Standard Horizon is Yaesu. So I trust them and Icom as well known radio manufacturers in various markets. I place a lot less trust in radios from electronics manufacturers that happen to also make a marine VHF. That said, I'd trust Furuno gear more than Garmin or any of the other electronics companies.

who makes the West marine VHF 585 brand radio? I find it hard to understand, whereas the old ICOM is clear, both with built in speakers.

Back
Top Bottom