To upgrade or not to upgrade ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would call Fleming and ask them if they know any history on this boat. I believe they keep pretty close tabs on all of the Flemings out there. I watched a bunch of videos on the Fleming channel. My impression was that they know the boats pretty well, the older boats too.

I would call Fleming and ask them if they know any history on this boat. I believe they keep pretty close tabs on all of the Flemings out there. I watched a bunch of videos on the Fleming channel. My impression was that they know the boats pretty well, the older boats too.

I am in contact with Fleming US and upcoming week I hope to get a hold of Fleming EU. So far they have been very helpful and as soon as I figure out what the hull nr is I will pass that to them, so they can do some research.
My guess is that in 2001 there were hardly any Flemings in Europe, the majority went to the US, so chances are this one came from the US.

"Massively upgraded" so says the salesman!
Certainly lots of work done to it, but engines, generator replaced after 5 years, residential split Air Conditioner installed (see flybridge pics) might indicate all A/C's replaced, back wall removed and relocated perhaps (at least they put in doors to the walkway from the too small salon extension) extended oversized swim platform (perhaps aluminum), extended cockpit cover with extra high bulwarks that seem to make it look extra ungainly, flooring as was mentioned on the flybridge and galley. Just too many red flags here to not wonder what the real story is on this one especially considering the length of time on the market and reduced price. Possible trades to sweeten the deal but hey would most likely lowball your trade. By the sounds of your DeFever, they should give you the Fleming and some cash!

As much as I love Flemings I would pass on this one.

Just my opinion :)

Hopefully will hear more about this boat in the upcoming week. Then everybody should be back to work.
Main question is indeed 'what happened in 2006 or 2005 that it was necessary to do a complete overhaul of the engine room. In 2017 another generator was added, but in 2018 the boat was offered for sale. Something must have happened, otherwise you don't install a second generator for a lot of money.
The extended swim platform I can understand. They took a substantial amount of outside space away by extending the salon, so they added that space again via an extended swim platform.
The extra covers on the dinghy deck I can also understand, I have the same on my boat, you need them in the Med. In July / August in the Med the sun is so hot that you would not be able to use that deck until 6 or 7 PM. You will simply burn alive. This boat was in Greece (see the Greek courtesy flag on one of the pictures) so they needed the shade. Since Greek waters can be very windy (25 - 30 kts is normal in the Aegean sea) the whole structure needed to be strong, so that is why it is oversized. Only problem is taking the dinghy out when the dinghy deck bimini is on, so my guess is they were towing the dinghy most of the time. That way they also freed up space on that deck and that is what we do as well.

But this week should be able to find out more about this boat. With all the items mentioned she must be in extremely good condition if I would consider it to be an option.

Perhaps nothing happened in 2005, maybe the refit was 2015 using 2005 engines?
Mambo, don't keep us waiting with the facts.

I would call the plant in Taiwan. I was watching a video and if I remember correctly they said they keep track of the boats.

Small Update

During the last week I have been in contact with another member of this forum, Pascal, and he has been very helpful in finding out more about this boat.

He sent me a message today that he had spoken with someone who knows a bit more about the history of this boat.

Apparently this boat was caught in a storm in 2005 or 2006 on the East Coast of the US and the boat 'took on water'. It is not clear whether it sank completely or was flooded partially.
The boat was then bought by the current owner (from Sweden) who transported her to Europe and had her rebuilt, plus changed the boat significantly.

According to the person who had been on the boat he did not like the useless extension of the salon, plus some other changes. That person also found lots of maintenance that had not been done (I assume externally) and therefore walked away from the boat.
The engine room looked to be in good condition.

The price of the boat has been reduced at least 3 times now after it was taken off the market. But it resurfaced back on sale basically too fast with a much lower price, so people are starting to wonder what is wrong with this boat (that is my assessment).

I passed the info on to Burr yachts and they will contact their brokers to find out if anyone remembers something about the sinking of this Fleming 55.

Another source told me that word is that Tony Fleming does not consider this to be a Fleming anymore, but did not hear that directly from Tony, so could be speculation. However, the same was stated by some of you here, so it could very well be the truth.

Anyway, that is a bit of information on what happened and it explains why the boat received new engines, generator etc in 2007. If they also changed all the electrical systems/cables etc then they did a thorough job.

I don't know if Fleming 55's were delivered in 2001 with or without stabilizers. If not, then it explains why they were installed in 2017, since in Greek waters you basically need them if you want a bit of a comfortable ride. It is the same reason why I am planning to install them on my Defever 49.

As soon as there is more info I will post it again, but a big thank you to Pascal for helping out and finding the info. :thumb:

This might be it. Fleming 55 "Gratitude" damaged by hurricane in 2004, sold at auction for $160k.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2004-11-30-0411300136-story.html

Incredible that you managed to find this. Must be the same boat and so indeed is was a total write off and then rebuilt.

In the article it also states who bought it, Oliver Jones for an unidentified buyer. I googled Oliver Jones and he specializes in marine engines, but also used ones. So that could be where the engines came from, but that also means the engines were not new. How many hours do the engines really have ? They have 700 hours in this boat, but how many before that ?

I will give Oliver Jones a call tomorrow and just wrote an e-mail to the broker asking if he can confirm it is the same boat. Guess he will be surprised.

Many thanks !

Last edited:
Really good detective work going on here!

The boat world is a small world.
If you then look at a certain type, for example Flemming, then it is a very small world.
How many Flemmings have been built, 100?
Then it becomes quite easy to find out something if you know how to tap into the right channels.

Further update

The broker sent me an e-mail this morning confirming that this boat is indeed the former Gratitude which was totalled during a hurricane in 2004. The hull number is 55-114 and the reason for selling is that the owner (a female) cannot sail this boat on her own.
Also stated that she did not know what her husband had done with the boat during the refit.
After reading this I more or less drew the conclusion that the husband had died and that she now wants to sell the boat.

Then I contacted Fleming Europe, but they did not have any information, so that was a dead end.

After that I contacted Mr Oliver Jones and he confirmed that he had bought this boat for the Swedish owner, but he had not restored it for him. The boat had been partially flooded, which means lazarette, engine room and cabins had been under water.
He could not tell me what the owner had done to repair this boat, but he did know that it was an extensive refit.

But then came the best part, he actually told me that the Swedish owner is still alive, he had been in contact with him recently. Also told me that the owner had sent him many pictures over the years while he was using the boat, so he did enjoy the boat a lot.
But it makes the story of the Dutch broker rather interesting. Was this boat sold by the Swedish owner to a new owner who now wants to sell it or is the Swedish owner still the original owner and did the broker come up with an old sales pitch ?

Anyway, no word yet on the real hours of these engines and if all electrical cables etc were replaced. If this boat has been flooded then that needs to be done.

That is the story until now, will post more info as soon as i get it.

The broker sent me an e-mail this morning confirming that this boat is indeed the former Gratitude which was totalled during a hurricane in 2004. The hull number is 55-114 and the reason for selling is that the owner (a female) cannot sail this boat on her own.
Also stated that she did not know what her husband had done with the boat during the refit.
After reading this I more or less drew the conclusion that the husband had died and that she now wants to sell the boat.

Then I contacted Fleming Europe, but they did not have any information, so that was a dead end.

After that I contacted Mr Oliver Jones and he confirmed that he had bought this boat for the Swedish owner, but he had not restored it for him. The boat had been partially flooded, which means lazarette, engine room and cabins had been under water.
He could not tell me what the owner had done to repair this boat, but he did know that it was an extensive refit.

But then came the best part, he actually told me that the Swedish owner is still alive, he had been in contact with him recently. Also told me that the owner had sent him many pictures over the years while he was using the boat, so he did enjoy the boat a lot.
But it makes the story of the Dutch broker rather interesting. Was this boat sold by the Swedish owner to a new owner who now wants to sell it or is the Swedish owner still the original owner and did the broker come up with an old sales pitch ?

Anyway, no word yet on the real hours of these engines and if all electrical cables etc were replaced. If this boat has been flooded then that needs to be done.

That is the story until now, will post more info as soon as i get it.

Sounds like BS sales pitch #4. Boat or car was the husbands pride and joy, no expense spared. But now wife needs to sadly sell it. Conveniently there is no history or information available about the boat. It's right there with Grandma's car that was only driven to Church on Sundays.

I would look at this as a one-off custom built boat, and ignore any and all Fleming pedigree. If you like it and it meets your needs, then it might be a good fit for you. But don't pretend you are getting a Fleming. I also expect you could buy the boat for pretty much whatever you offer, because nobody else is buying it, and my now everyone knows that.

You mention the boat was repowered with Cat 3208s? But the 3208 was discontinued in 1999 so that seems odd. Perhaps just a rebuild? The life of the 3208 is very much impacted by which version it is. The NA versions are known for long life, they were used in many commercial boats and many are still in use after 20K hours or more. The turbocharged versions are less long lived.

Most people have covered a number of points for and against. Independent of the allure of a Flemimg one advantage you have with your DeFever is familiarity. Having redone most of your systems you will likely be very familiar with its systems. That is a huge advantage when trying to diagnose the inevitable fault. Also you need to know exactly what transpired in 2005 to result in new engines. Whatever happened may also affect its insurability if it was a previous insurance write off.

In the end the decisions is really a combination of emotion and practicality. I know the allure of more space. I've also considered larger three stateroom boats to better accommodate guests, but then I realized I'd be buying a boat to fit the needs of a small percentage of our cruising time. The point is if size is the driver then consider what percentage of time you'd actually need that extra space since it comes at a cost.

Last edited:
You mention the boat was repowered with Cat 3208s? But the 3208 was discontinued in 1999 so that seems odd. Perhaps just a rebuild? The life of the 3208 is very much impacted by which version it is. The NA versions are known for long life, they were used in many commercial boats and many are still in use after 20K hours or more. The turbocharged versions are less long lived.
[/QUOTE}

Have not yet been able to find out whether these are turbo's or not. But most important is to find out how many hours these engines had when they went into the boat. Were they new, were they used or were they overhauled ?
If they were used........how many hours did they have. We know that in this boat they have 700 hours, but if they already had 5000 it would mean they really have 5700 hours and if the engines need an overhaul at 6000 hours then that is a big price drop. If they had an overhaul and now have 700 hours that would be good news.

There are some reasons to be concerned about the history of the Fleming given its price and engine work within 5 years of new. Something happened, the question is what. You need to know since that can affect insurability as well as future problems.

We now know the hull nr which is 55-114. We also know for sure the boat was totalled in 2004 by a hurricane, was partially flooded (lazarette, ER and cabins) and was bought for 160.000 USD by mr Oliver Jones.

What we don't yet know is what happened then. So am trying to find out which yard did the rebuild and perhaps mr Jones is willing to give me the name of the person who bought the boat in 2004. Then I could call him and simply ask.

As of now I don't know which version it is or how it was used. My guess is they were not racing along, so expect the rpm's to have been well below max, which means better for the engines.
What I don't know is whether these were new, used or overhauled engines.

Most people have covered a number of points for and against. Independent of the allure of a Flemimg one advantage you have with your DeFever is familiarity. Having redone most of your systems you will likely be very familiar with its systems. That is a huge advantage when trying to diagnose the inevitable fault. Also you need to know exactly what transpired in 2005 to result in new engines. Whatever happened may also affect its insurability if it was a previous insurance write off.
What happened in 2004 is that the boat was partially submerged due to a hurricane and the insurance wrote off the boat. It was auctioned off, bought by a person from Sweden who had it rebuilt. What exactly he did is unknown however.
Once it was rebuild they used the boat for 10 years, cruised through large parts of Europe and adjusted the boat for long term living on board.
It is true that I do know my Defever, but we know we will be spending up to about 100.000 USD on installing stabilizers next year. And I don't think the value of the boat will increase with that amount.:ermm:

In the end the decisions is really a combination of emotion and practicality. I know the allure of more space. I've also considered larger three stateroom boats to better accommodate guests, but then I realized I'd be buying a boat to fit the needs of a small percentage of our cruising time. The point is if size is the driver then consider what percentage of time you'd actually need that extra space since it comes at a cost.

The pros of this 'Fleming' for us is much more in- and outdoor space and with 4 dogs that is not a bad thing to have.
She is already stabilized and has many well thought of changes. Not everybody can appreciate them, but I can see the logic and sense in it. The owner changed this boat to what he needed for long term cruising, basically for living on board.
E.g. underneath the dinghy I see some sort of a box. It has drawers, but can also be flipped open. Then I realized that this box is custom made to store all the pillows, cushions, covers etc of the boat. No more dragging them inside the boat every night, just simple storage. When it starts to rain on our Defever we have a salon full of cushions (12 in total), which means no more place to sit. Or we would have to drag them down to the forward cabin. Also all our sun covers are basically lying around when we are underway, we have no storage space for them.
We could of course leave them outside, but then the covers of the cushions would get soaking wet. Why do we have covers ? Because the cushions get bl**dy hot during the hot summer days. You will burn your skin if you sit on them without a towel and when there is no sun you will sweat like a pig. So we covered all our cushions with a towel like material that can be washed.

I also checked the new generator. Turns out that this is also a very special generator, produces 12 Kw, but uses the same amount of fuel as my Onan of 6 Kva.
There is enough space to hang the same amount (or even more) solar panels on this boat as we have now on our boat. This boat also has Victron equipment, with which I am familiar.
In other words it has a lot of pros for us.

The cons at this moment ?
First of all it is a lot of extra money, then there is a boat we don't know and does need to be amended again (eg solar and passarelle), next we get the difficulties with Med mooring, anti fouling needs to be done and then of course higher fuel consumption, higher insurance and maintenance cost.

But the final decision will be based on the quality of the boat, which means engine status, gear boxes, generators, electrical wiring and overall status of maintenance.
I made a calculation of what the owner has spent in the rebuild 15 years ago and it seems to me the asking price at this moment is more or less what he paid for it after the refit. So the price can indeed come down quite a bit. And then we have of course the value of my boat. i know what I will demand and if that is not met then there is no deal.

Just curious.... If the ad and boat description never included the name 'Fleming", would this boat have caught your eye? Is it the boat you would have picked out in a large marina and said "that's the one"? It's hard now to go back and un-see that name, but I think it might be a useful mental exercise to think through.

Just curious.... If the ad and boat description never included the name 'Fleming", would this boat have caught your eye? Is it the boat you would have picked out in a large marina and said "that's the one"? It's hard now to go back and un-see that name, but I think it might be a useful mental exercise to think through.

That is a good question and to be honest can't answer that question too well. The reason I saw this boat is that I get almost daily e-mails from De Valk (since I bought my boat through them) about new offerings they have. So that is how I found out about this 'Fleming'.
I know the story of Fleming, have seen all the travels of Venture I and Venture II, started reading up on them and realized they are a class of their own. Everything is well thought of and the boat is made to travel plus live on. However, normally a Fleming is well outside of my budget, just like Nordhavn.

Would I have stopped if this 'Fleming' would have been in the marina with a sign 'for sale' on it. Most likely yes and I would have asked to see the boat.
Would I have found this one if I had not gotten the e-mail from De Valk ? Probably not.

The 18 years since sinking likely ensures all negative effects have surfaced.
Sounds like it still looks all Fleming externally. The hull especially.
The engines can be tested and checked. Survey might need to be more comprehensive.
Can you live with the interior changes once you inspect?
Can you live with the chequered history? Will you eventually be able to resell, or does that not matter?
Big issue as I see it is the rating. If that can`t be improved, usage and insurance might be a deal breaker.
You seem willing to chase the issues down the rabbit holes. Maybe no one else bothered. There might be a reward, or not, but I suspect it is worth persevering.

The 18 years since sinking likely ensures all negative effects have surfaced.
Sounds like it still looks all Fleming externally. The hull especially.
The engines can be tested and checked. Survey might need to be more comprehensive.
Can you live with the interior changes once you inspect?
Can you live with the chequered history? Will you eventually be able to resell, or does that not matter?
Big issue as I see it is the rating. If that can`t be improved, usage and insurance might be a deal breaker.
You seem willing to chase the issues down the rabbit holes. Maybe no one else bothered. There might be a reward, or not, but I suspect it is worth persevering.
My feeling also, and I have to admit, if this was me - I'd just offer a very attractive price, (to me/you, that is), and if accepted grab the thing..! This whole thread has sold this boat to me already - just kite-flying, of course, as I realise it's your money... :D

And more updates

I just spent about an hour on the phone with Kevin from Fleming South East Sales and we basically went over each picture, where he pointed out what he saw and what he thoughts were.

First of all, this boat was involved in not 1, but 2 hurricanes. First there was hurricane Francis where the boat was slamming into the concrete shore until it sank. It then sat on the bottom, waiting for salvage when the second hurricane (Jenne) hit. In all it must have spent about 1 month in the water and according to Kevin the boat then sat on the land for quite a while.
The moisture in the boat then made sure that everything in that boat could be written off and that is exactly what happened, the insurance did a complete write off and the boat went to auction.

So that is about what happened to this boat, that is 100 % sure, since Fleming was involved in the salvage until it was delivered to the insurance company.

After that we know the boat was bought at auction by Mr Oliver Jones from South Florida. Where the boat went after that is still a mystery. It did leave the States, but no idea whereto.

According to Kevin the reason why these 3208's went is was simple. Fleming had used these engines with great success until they were prohibited in the US for environmental reasons. But in Europe those regulations did not apply, so most likely they were on the cheap. He had no idea whether they were used or brand new, but did state that the engines can do a max of about 6000 hrs or 30.000 gallons. At about 12 kts they will do around 10 gph at 7 to 8 kts they will do 5 gph, so that is the calculation behind it.
The engines were easy to fit in the boat since the 3208 had already been in Flemings and the basic design had not changed. The only difference with the Cummins was a different propshaft and different prop. It is unclear whether they were changed as well or they are still the original. In the last case it would mean that the props are too big for these engines, which would result in loss of performance.
As a result of these engines and the EU registration the boat can never be imported again in the US, so that limits the amount of potential buyers.

According to Kevin all East coast Flemings were standard delivered with Naiad stabilizers. They were an option, but every owner choose them. Tony Fleming himself was against stabilizers and therefore designed a hull that would not need stabilizers.
So this Fleming also had stabilizers, but according to Kevin they were most likely damaged or destroyed during the hurricanes and or salvage. In any case the Naiads were delivered with this block of wood and that is why they probably used it for the Vetus stabilizers that are currently on the boat.

The fuel system belongs to the model of the cummins engines, so his conclusion was that they saved this one since it was better than that of earlier models.
Roof of the engine room has been redone, but it was done OK.
The batteries in the 2001 model were in the ER, but now they are in the lazarette. He saw all new battery switches, so drew the conclusion that most likely the boat has been rewired.
Another reason for that thought is that the lay out of the cabins doesn't fit with this boat. The lay out fits with an older model Fleming, so his assessment is that the boat was gutted and rebuild, which would be good news.
The wood work, according to him has also been redone and seem to look good quality.
The rest of the interior has been changed a lot, was not like that in the original boat, but many of you had also pointed that out.

The reason for the split unit is also quite simple actually. The original boat had all the airco's in the lazarette and then copper lines to the spaces. However, salt water is very corrosive for copper pipes, which meant they either had to install new pipes or route the cold air through the heating ducts. They choose the latter and therefore used a split unit.
The pilot house is also different, but the quality of the work looks to be good.

We then spoke a bit about the reason for a trade in and that I should ask myself who pays the trade in. His reasoning was that most owners will not accept a trade in, since they know what they are selling, but don't know what they are getting in return.
The broker told me a third party does the trade in, but no idea what the interest of the third party is.

Lastly we came to the value of the boat. He agreed with me that the value lies around 400.000 euro at this moment, but that it could be difficult to sell the boat if I want to sell it in a few years for the same amount. In any case he would not take the boat into his inventory without knowing the complete history of the boat.
I agree with that, without knowing what they did with the boat, how many real hours the engines have this boat is a gamble and I don't gamble with that kind of money. Then I rather keep my own Defever.

Long story again, but at least we now have the full story on what happened and what can be deducted from the pictures so far.
Now i need to get the full story on the rebuild.

In any case, many thanks so far to all of you. It is becoming a great 'investigation' and great team work. Without all your knowledge I would have never ever gotten to this point. Nice to read everyone is thinking along.

I will keep you posted of the progress. :thumb:

“According to Kevin the reason why these 3208's went is was simple. Fleming had used these engines with great success until they were prohibited in the US for environmental reasons. But in Europe those regulations did not apply, so most likely they were on the cheap. He had no idea whether they were used or brand new, but did state that the engines can do a max of about 6000 hrs or 30.000 gallons. At about 12 kts they will do around 10 gph at 7 to 8 kts they will do 5 gph, so that is the calculation behind it. ”

Misleading.

Caterpillar predicted 30,000 gallons per engine before an anticipated rebuild, not “max” as you write. However, much different running at 435hp versus 100hp, probably more than the fuel ratio differential would suggest.

Also, I would think that at 10 nm/hr about 10gph for the boat, or 5 gph per engine, but that’s your 6,000 hours.

Also, 55’s still have batteries in the engine room. Not sure why he would say that?

Last edited:
This sounds so familiar.
There was (is?) a Fleming 55 that was sunk, written off, purchsed from the insurance Co and brought to Vancouver. The buyer was ex
Finning, so knew and could get CATs, put in a pair, and had the boat fixed.
Sound familiar. I don't know any more than that.

Misleading.

Caterpillar predicted 30,000 gallons per engine before an anticipated rebuild, not “max” as you write. However, much different running at 435hp versus 100hp, probably more than the fuel ratio differential would suggest.

For calculating purposes with this boat I will stick to the 30000 gph or 6000 hrs. Perhaps the engines will last longer, but definitely not the 25.000 of a Ford Lehman. So if this boat now has 700 after the refit, but the engines already had 4000 hours before they went in this boat, then there is 1300 hrs left and not 5300 hrs as one might think when you hear 700 hrs.
A rebuild of the engines is going to be a very costly affair, probably around 50.000 or 60.000 USD, so that is something to take into consideration.

Also, I would think that at 10 nm/hr about 10gph for the boat, or 5 gph per engine, but that’s your 6,000 hours.
Kevin told me to expect 10 gph per engine at about 12 kts and 5 gph at about 7 - 8 kts. I have not seen a FF meter so have to take his word for it.

Also, 55’s still have batteries in the engine room. Not sure why he would say that?
That is exactly what he told. The 55's have batteries in the ER, but this boat in the Netherlands has them in the lazarette. He saw batteries in the lazarette, saw the new battery switches, saw the new lay out of the cabines and came to the conclusion that new cables must have been drawn and thus came to the conclusion that the boat was probably rewired.

Just curious, 6000 hrs seems very low for a rebuild. My expectations are more like 30,000 hrs. Is the 3208 expectation actually 30,000 hrs, and not 30,000 gal? Or what is it about the 3208 that yields such a low rebuild interval? Is it a super high output engine for it's displacement?

6000 hours wouldn't surprise me from the higher output turbo 3208s if run hard like in a sport fish. But for a lower output 3208 or one run gently, I'd expect more. There's nothing inherently fast-wearing that I know of in that design.

6,000 hours is about right for most boat diesels. For 30,000 hr, think more well cared for heavy slow turning diesels in continuous refrigeration or generating applications.

6000 seems low to me, but the only hi-hour engines I have personal experience with were a pair of 6-71 naturals in a 65-ft Pacemaker I used drive as a dinner cruise boat on SF Bay. It had 14,000 hours on it and still going fairly strong.

I seem to recall Hamilton on Dirona did an episode where he swapped a main seal on a Northern Lights generator. Not sure I recall correctly, but I think it had 6000 hours and he thought the work was premature wear.

Peter

Just curious, 6000 hrs seems very low for a rebuild. My expectations are more like 30,000 hrs. Is the 3208 expectation actually 30,000 hrs, and not 30,000 gal? Or what is it about the 3208 that yields such a low rebuild interval? Is it a super high output engine for it's displacement?
30,000 GAL done at 10 GPH is 3000 HRS.

I'm obviously pretty active on TF, and I monitor CruisersForum for anything mechanical (CF probably has >5x the membership, albeit sail). And I've moderates the Willard group for 20+ years. I just don't recall anyone wearing out an engine. Plenty of engines were killed via neglect or failure of a bolt-on part (pump shaft breaks), but recreational users don't put enough hours on them to wear out an engine.

But an interesting question might be: for Trawler or Motoryacht class boats common on TF, at what point does a buyer start to worry about engine hours? My gut feel is at 4000 hours they start to ask questions. Somewhere around 5000-6000 hours, they factor a rebuild into their purchase calculus. Likely never has to be done, but that's my sense. Thoughts?

Peter

I have looked at a lot diesels and gas engines. Not one had a flag that popped up and says “do not continue to use, it is time to rebuild.’
Try to find the maintenance records, oil analysis ….. THEN make a decision. I think there are a lot engines rebuilt unnecessarily only because the hour meter says “time.”
Remember, common sense!!!
Sort like oil changes……. You are 1/2 across the ocean, engine hours says “oil change”, what do you do? I would “make a note”, ‘change oil when I reach port.’

Note to self: I do like the idea of using “gallons of fuel used”, instead of engine. I will have to give it some thought and maybe change over to gal of fuel used.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom