Buying boat with Volvo TMD40A's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
I hate to start a thread on Volvos, almost as much as starting an anchor thread, but it's my turn to cause trouble.

Cut to the chase: My question is if I should proceed, or just cancel?

I've tied up in contract a 1980 49ft Taiwan trawler with these twin Volvos. The boat overall is clean, but original, and has been boathouse kept for 20+ years by the current owners who lived aboard. Unfortunately it appears that it has only been lightly operated over the years, with 3500 engine hours (80 hrs per year). Hasn't been run much at all in the last year or two, sellers being in their 80's.

About 1+ years ago they were in contract to sell, and during sea trials the port turbo seized, which they have replaced. The inspections lead to the starboard head gasket needing to be replaced as well. The wife also told me mysteriously that during the oil analysis the "they found things in the oil" but would not expand on that, nor provide a copy of the report.

Today I've been speaking to mechanics about performing their inspections. One guy flat out told me to forget about the boat and find something else with other engines, Lehmans, Perkins, etc. This is driven by the price of parts which I've now researched and have found to be about triple in cost. His argument was also that at nearly-50 years old, anything which touches saltwater will be at risk of needing major service or replacement (oil cooler, gear oil cooler, HEX, raw water pump, etc.).

Although the engines are physically clean without signs of paint overspray, my gut is that the sellers have had normal maintenance conducted over the years (oil changes) but have not gone deeper as indicated.

Even if I proceed with mechanical inspections (about $1200), the mechanic will still not be opening up all the various coolers and such to know exactly what level of major-service I need to perform. This boat is intended to be a short-term ownership, roughly 3+ years.

Just looking for some feedback.

Last edited:
My opinion of Volvos is negative due to the parts availability. We had brand new Volvos in a previous boat. Even though they were current engines getting parts was a long and painful process. Fortunately I sold boats for the dealer part time so they would get parts for my engines off a new boat to keep my boat running. Now you are saying that parts are really expensive, hum. I personally would walk but others that have them love the engines.

I'm no expert, I know alot of people have negative opinions on old volvos, if the boat is a good deal and you are willing to take a chance when it seems like there may not be full disclosure....remember that you will selling a boat with old volvos in 3 years.

I'm no expert, I know alot of people have negative opinions on old volvos, if the boat is a good deal and you are willing to take a chance when it seems like there may not be full disclosure....remember that you will selling a boat with old volvos in 3 years.

And I cant imagine Volvo parts will get any cheaper or more easily available in that time either. My first thought was find a pair of running take-outs (anything but Volvo) and fit them. But the changeover could cost the price of one new engine if you have a yard do it for you.

The other red flag is your comment "clean but original". There is likely to be lots of stuff needing to be replaced even over your short intended 3 year ownership period. eg potable water lines. Parts fairly cheap, time required - quite a lot! All those little things will mount up in time, effort & cost and could keep you tied to the dock or dealing with failures during cruising. Run......

It seems to me that if you are looking for a boat for 3 years, then two things are important. 1) The boat doesn't have big projects or big repairs that are going to keep you from using the boat in those 3 years, and 2) it won't be too difficult to sell the boat without taking a bath, or having to wait a really long time.

It seems to me that the boat has strikes against you on both fronts.

The likelihood of needing repairs because of age and recent failure of a couple of significant items (turbo and head gasket), "stuff" in the oil sample, and high probability of long waits for parts all that sounds like high probability of lots of time with the boat out of commission.

And when it comes time to sell the boat, buyers will have the same concerns that you are having now, and be getting the same feedback from mechanics. It all adds up to a boat that will be difficult/slow to sell.

If it was an otherwise lovely boat with questionable engines which you planned to keep long term, knowing you had to get the engines right, it might be reasonable to proceed.
But with those engines, in that condition with plenty of potential for trouble, repairs, and down time, and a 3 year ownership, I don`t think it makes sense to proceed.

Here is a different angle:

The Volvo discount is already in this boat one would assume, so not sure why focusing on the Volvo discount when you sell in three years makes any sense here. If the mechanical inspection and sea trial is $1200 and reveals no issues, especially in the coolers, it may be well worth the money. If there are issues, then this decision becomes easy, and it only cost you 1200 to find that out.

If there are no issues at inspection and sea trial, then it may be a bit over the top to walk away because parts you may or may not need over a three-year period may or may not be hard to get or expensive.

I do not currently own any Volvo marine engines, but I did own a TAMD60C for ten years and never needed a part other than two off the shelf starters. These engines seem built to run. There are a lot of them out there.

I appreciate the input and it has been helpful. Second mechanic gave me a similar message.

It it were a long term keep them I wouldn’t hesitate to repower and yank out that generator as well, which is also 44 years old and hasn’t even been turned over in over a year.

Just cancelled the contract. Thanks.

I appreciate the input and it has been helpful. Second mechanic gave me a similar message.

It it were a long term keep them I wouldn’t hesitate to repower and yank out that generator as well, which is also 44 years old and hasn’t even been turned over in over a year.

Just cancelled the contract. Thanks.

I have TAMD40's in my Trawler and as long as you maintain them they run forever. service Heat exchangers, after coolers and oil coolers every 3-5 years. always flush engine with fresh water as salt waster kills all engine cooling parts eventually.

I have the same Volvo's

I have TAMD-40B in-line six-cylinder turbo-aftercooled diesel
engines 165 hp in our 1985 LaBelle 44. We bought it in summer 2021, from the 3rd owner who had it for 17 years. He had completely serviced the port heat exchangers and replaced the port oil cooler, and had purchased a new starboard oil cooler but hadnt done the starboard side. We had the starboard heat exhangers serviced and the new oil cooler installed as first order of business. Warning, it can be really challenging to replace the starboard oil cooler. Our nimble mechanic managed to reach over the side against the starboard fuel tank, but he was ready to quit by the time he finished. Other than that experience, these engines run great, burn little oil, and average around 13 l/hr (the pair) running around 1850 rpm, and 7.5-8 knots. We are happy with the performance thus far and are putting about 200 hrs/year (engines up to 3200 hrs total). Our mechanic is warning us about waning availability of some parts, so we just have to keep on top of maintenance to avoid trouble. Of course regular use is good.

@Smith, @copper, I believe you both but the indications were that proper preventive maintenance hadn’t been carried out by this owner of 20+ years. The mechanic was starting to warn be about stories of $15k in repairs by similar older vessels he had worked on.

Mako, You have already heard from many boaters warning you about Volvo's but I just had to add mine.
I bought a 1979 30' Tollycraft with twin Volvo TMD-40A's about 2 years ago. Only showing about 1700 hours on the engines so I felt OK about them. I haven't had any major problems other than the alternators and rusting of parts due to long periods of inactivity. I thought I pretty much had everything up to par and on our shakedown cruise the port engine blew a pressure plate between the engine and transmission. The mechanic had a difficult time finding one and it was $900, $2,500 total rebuild cost.
Oh, and don't forget the fuel tanks. If they haven't been replaced they are due. I'm doing the port one as we speak.
I would be concerned that during your 3 years of ownership you spent most of it working on the boat.

Had a boat with this engine with no problems with the engine. Unfortunately that was not the story with the transmissions.

Find the serial number on the transmission(s) and check for parts availability. If parts are not available, my advice is to walk away.

Back
Top Bottom