Wagner steering pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NWpilot

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Yukon Jack
Vessel Make
30' Tollycraft sedan
I have a Wagner 700 steering pump on my 30' Tolly that I'm in the process of rebuilding and I've come to a complete stop. I disassembled it, cleaned the pump, installed new o-rings and am now at the point of joining the 2 halves together. My pump is first generation with a roller bearing sitting at an angle at the top (nearest the wheel) that depresses the pistons on the pump and I can't seem to keep the bearing in place while assembling. Is there a trick out there for doing this?

I seem to be adept at taking something apart only to be unable to reassemble it as it's happened to me before a few times.

Here is an article by "Saving Tortuga" rebuilding his Wagner 701 (later gen) pump and the 7th picture down shows the parts I'm having trouble with.
Saving Tortuga: Steering Pump Repair - Wagner 701

Thank You to any "mechanic" that can help.
Chas

I haven’t done one of those pumps specifically, but at times I’ve used assembly lube (grease) to hold things in position while lining things up.
Surely there must be someone here that remembers these old pumps and knows the trick?

I tried a little bit of white lithium thinking it wouldn't damage the hydraulic fluid but it didn't work. I might try some stickier grease.

I laced the 3 part bearing with the thickest axle grease in my shop and I think it stayed in place.

I have to go down to the boat and get my scope to look inside and confirm.

I know this was an unusual one.

Thanks

In case this thread does get revisited.... It is possible to realign everything without using any grease. I made a small wood dowel fit through the threaded filler port which can hold the three bearing pieces in position. Assembling the piston unit on the shaft (with the woodruff key in place) allows the whole thing to be slid into the case without the pistons falling out (the angle is key--gravity is your friend.) And actually if the bearing race slides out of place or a piston is slightly off you can reach through the filler hole to jiggle things into place again.

Back
Top Bottom