Wagner steering pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NWpilot

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Yukon Jack
Vessel Make
30' Tollycraft sedan
I have a Wagner series 700 helm pump on my Tolly 30' sedan that I've tried rebuilding and it still won't move any fluid. I'm desperate to find a mechanic in the Portland, OR area that can rebuild it for me. If you know of anyone I would greatly appreciate a heads up.

He's some info I have. I have a service manual but I'd have to scan it and it would be too big for this forums file size rules. But will look thru it and refresh my memory.

My guess is the pump isn't fully bled. There are bleeding instructions in the stuff I'm attaching.

Any hydraulic supply should be able to rebuild that pump. Some are part of a logging supply and they rebuild all sorts of new and antique hydraulic parts, often without any manual. If you're near Longview, Woods Logging Supply.

Attachments

• 700 SERIES MANUAL HYD.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 45
  • wa-brochure-filling-700-series-cylinders.pdf
    295.2 KB · Views: 32
There are also sites online that rebuild steering pumps. I have used boatsteer.com. Don’t know if they do Wagner or not.

I have replaced the leaking seal on my Wagner autopilot pump twice in 23 years. Aside from the ball bearings, there is nothing else to fail. I'm thinking you have air in the system.

Attachments

• AP Pump.jpg
    AP Pump.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 28
By any chance was the boat hauled out and refloated before you noticed the issue? I had a Wagner system that was unresponsive for the first hour or two after every haulout. It seemed that having the boat at an unusual trim angle for several days allowed just enough air to move into the pump chambers to cause trouble. The first time that happened I had just floated off the drydock and pulled forward into a busy channel, only to discover that I had no steering. That was adrenaline city.

First of all, I really appreciate all of the suggestions.

Next, I decided I would tear the pump down one last time as it made no sense that is wouldn't move fluid. I have torn it down approx. 5 times due to it leaking at the fittings or the set of bearings becoming misaligned when assembling. I have mastered the bearing installation and applied hydraulic thread sealant on all the fittings. I am also now skilled at bleeding the system after doing it many times.

The first rebuild kit I got was limited and I believe I got the wrong o-rings for the oval ports on the back side. The second kit was much more complete and included new ball bearings for the one way valves. Yesterday I took a look at the kit info and everything referred to the series 702 and 703. So, i dug all the discarded parts out of the garbage and compared them with my new parts and the new ball bearings for the oval ports on the back side were noticeably larger than the old ones. I put the old ones back in and will install the pump Monday with fingers crossed.

I have found that it's difficult to find parts for the series 700 helm pump and obviously many vendors don't distinguish between the 700 and the 702-703 series.

If this doesn't work, I'm headed to Longview.

Thanks for your help.

So, after reinstalling all of the old ball bearings and thoroughly cleaning the passages I installed the pump and it worked.
One thing I didn't like was the kit came with a sheet of cork gasket and I had to make my own. I suspect the some of the cork came off the frayed edges and got stuck in the small passages.

Wagner seems to be a good durable pump but I just wish I didn't have the first generation series 700.

You guys kept me motivated to find the answer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom