What exactly is the Rum Runner package?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatlakesmcs

Vessel Name
Course Change
Vessel Make
'02 Shamrock 22 Open (for sale) 03' Mainship 34 Pilot
Being a new 34 Pilot owner, I wanted to get some clarity on something. Having been around the water for a long time, I'm familiar with the Rum Runner name but wondered how it differs from the plain ol' 2003 34 that I have. In a couple of posts I see it referred to as a package and I've also seen it referred to as a model.

Could someone shed some light on this please? I haven't been able to find any other discussions about it. Thanks!

Last edited:
I also had a plain ol’ Pilot 34 that the PO had added airconditioning and a 3.5 kW NextGen generator, which effectively made it a Rum Runner. The OEM RR included a few other things, but they were minor.

Maybe the bow thruster was also part of the RR package. Not so minor.

David

Last edited:
Rum Runner

I owned a 2004 34' Rum Runner hardtop prior to buying the Pilot 430. The Rum Runner had the Fighting Lady Yellow hull, the upholstery had "Rum Runner" embroidered in it. Mechanically it came with the twin 240's and a 3.5 KW generator. I'm sure there were different configurations available. It was one of my favorite boats. I don't recall specific differences between the base model and Rum Runner.

When I click on the page of the brochure and expand it to readability, I cannot discern the the options supposedly printed in blue defining the RR options. I think the RR defining options changed a bit from year to year.

Thanks, all.

Sounds like it’s mostly an appearance package as I seem to have everything but the color, embroidered and stickered badging…

Thanks, all.

Sounds like it’s mostly an appearance package as I seem to have everything but the color, embroidered and stickered badging…

Could be. Mine's a RR, but since it was originally ordered with every single option available, I can't tell RR package stuff from just plane old extravagance.

I have a 2006 34 pilot rum runner. I will look at my papers and see if it lists the package specifics.

Could be. Mine's a RR, but since it was originally ordered with every single option available, I can't tell RR package stuff from just plane old extravagance.

oops! plain, not plane. I musta been thinkin' about being up on plane. :)

I owned a 2004 34' Rum Runner hardtop prior to buying the Pilot 430. The Rum Runner had the Fighting Lady Yellow hull, the upholstery had "Rum Runner" embroidered in it. Mechanically it came with the twin 240's and a 3.5 KW generator. I'm sure there were different configurations available. It was one of my favorite boats. I don't recall specific differences between the base model and Rum Runner.

Quite amazing, as I also had Fighting Yellow Pilot 34 Rum Runner (Hardtop) and went on to a Pilot 430 (Blue Hull) which I still have today. In any case, the Rum Runner was not just an options package, but more of decor package. Seat Cushions were blue, Stainless Steel anchor protection plate on the bow and "Rum Runner" decals on the side of the pilot house and stitched into the seat cushions. I had twin 200's, and also had a oven, which my wife demanded. I also agree with E-Sea Going, the Pilot 34 RR that we had was one of my favorite boats. We had in every sea imaginable it handles all well. Enjoy!

Rum Runner package

I just looked at my build sheet. My boat came with these, under the rum runner heading. I don't Know what other build sheets look like.

Stars and stripes Awlgrip
White boot stipe
Antique white deck and cockpit
Gold RR logos on deck sides
Gold logos on seats
Ultra leather interior seating
3 ocean air deck hatches with screens
15" flatscreen with stereo and DVD/CD
A/C with reverse cycle heat
Bow thruster
Dripless shaft log
3.5kw gen set
Lounge backrest
Oil exchanger
hawse pipe chafe rope guards
Magma propane grill

I just looked at my build sheet. My boat came with these, under the rum runner heading. I don't Know what other build sheets look like.

Stars and stripes Awlgrip
White boot stipe
Antique white deck and cockpit
Gold RR logos on deck sides
Gold logos on seats
Ultra leather interior seating
3 ocean air deck hatches with screens
15" flatscreen with stereo and DVD/CD
A/C with reverse cycle heat
Bow thruster
Dripless shaft log
3.5kw gen set
Lounge backrest
Oil exchanger
hawse pipe chafe rope guards
Magma propane grill

What year is the boat?

Did any Rum Runners come with doors? This sounds strange but can you enclose the pilot house? I guess that would make it a sedan. Can you get a RR with a back wall and a door to the pilot house/salon ?

A few owners enclosed the back with fiberglass and a door but the factory made them with canvas and Stratoglass.

David

It's good to find another Pilot 430 owner, PM me so we can trade boat info, repairs, repairs, upgrades....

Mike

Back
Top Bottom