1979 36 Albin 1979 36 Grand Banks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eli27

So I've finally bought a boat (3 weeks now) Still getting her ready for to bring her home. Newbury port to Providence RI.

Doing all the basics. Changing all coolers and water pumps on the leyman 120. All hoses too. Installing new electronics as well.

Anyway, I bought the boat for a great deal. (Let's just say I haven't run the engine yet and if it needs that,,,, I'm still way ahead.

The boat of my dreams is 36 or 42 Grand Banks classic. I just love the lines. But I have to admit the Albin (1979 Albin 36) which is what I own is growing on me. And today, as I sit in it taking a break, I notice this boat is way much roomier than the GB 36. I'm almost willing to say it's got just as much room as a the GB42.

So my question to the experienced trawler owners out there is seaworthiness? I would say about the same but I'm not sure. I've ran a few GB 36 but no Albins,,,, yet!

What's your opinions on them?

As always, thanks
ELI

Haven’t run one either but it has a nice bow flare similar to our Monk that should give you a decent ride in normal weather. Good luck and post your findings.

To me, seaworthiness of hull (systems are what usually sink the boat) forms, neither is a comfortable sea boat without stabilization..... but both can handle relatively rough seas and bring you home safe even if beat up a bit.

All those older trawlers suffer from seas breaking windows and taking on excessive water more than probably anything else except for failed systems that create dangerous situations from flooding, to fire, to disabled and encountering worsening conditions.

I like the Albin. I've run both. Of course any semi-displacement hull that size is going to roll in some conditions. It's generally considered a "coastal" boat, rather than true blue water. For that it's ideal. You're gonna love that Albin! I like

I have an Albin 36 from 1982, probably an identical hull, single engine. Over the last decade I’ve driven the boat through some pretty gnarly water here in the PNW. Several trips across the Strait of Georgia, rearranged my galley! However even with a short 4-5 foot chop the boat was stable and fully controllable. The boat has considerable reserve buoyancy in the bow, it throws significant spray but I’ve can’t remember any solid water. The keel is substantial and it tracks well. All that being said , the attack angle matters in a head sea, it’s something for you to learn.
The biggest risk you will find is with following seas. The boat has a relatively small rudder and a propensity to broach. Usually the best strategy is to counterintuitively slow the boat down while maintaining steerage.
The hull is way overbuilt and heavy compared to modern trawlers. The old bromide is true “The boat will take more abuse than the occupants”. Enjoy…

You have got to get some seat time. Start out in calm water and then work your way up to some really rough water. You will catch on.

Can’t comment on the Albin but previous boat was a GB36 classic. Both are coastal cruisers, not offshore boats. We sold the GB because (while she was perfectly safe in 4-5 footers) the hard chines tend to initially resist rolling until they don’t- leading to the snap roll characteristic of the GB 36. Second factor was if the sea gets that snotty, the roll is accentuated if on the FB. Having to use the lower helm, the admiral can’t see forward and motion sick as a result.
I personally would avoid a GB 36 with twins because doing any work outboard of the engines is a nightmare. If you’re happy with the Albin, seems like a winner. Safe travels

Other than the shape of the bow/forefoot between these two boats (which on 36 footers I am not sure is a big deal) I am not sure there are huge differences other than general layout.

I don't have a lot of experience with the GBs, but what I do remember from those earlier year boats is the GB system installs were at least a lot neater and labeled. Probably why they were a lot more money (maybe also because construction in general way better). Never tore apart and dug deep a GB, but have an Albin. Saw many of the same construction features on my Albin as many others I looked at along the purchasing journey. I would hope that the price point meant that the GB WAS a much better built boat.

That said, doesn't mean that a fairly well maintained Albin can't provide good service for it's life at a much better price.

The biggest reason I didn't go with a GB early in my search was the interior layouts. At the point in my life I understood boats and cruising (at least my style) well enough to know what I liked and what features were showstoppers (good and bad). But I did like the way things were constructed and labeled (then again after so many years of previous owners changing things and labels disappearing that half of the decision become weak too).

I'll second the previous owners statement. How many owners has the average 44 yo boat had?
How many of those have been conscience of maintainence?

Have a lot more time on GBs than Albins in the 36' range and up, but I once took my time and did a close side-by-side comparison. As to hull shape, the Grand Banks has a more bluff bow, as opposed to a more flared bow on the Albins. Both are attractive in their own ways, but I will say that in a head-sea, the GB is going to be the wetter ride, up to a point. The Albin's finer entry and sharper flare will do a somewhat better job of pushing the spray aside. When the seas get short and steep enough that you're stuffing the bow, they'll both be wet boats. The trade-off is space in the forward cabin, where you'll find the GB roomier because of that fuller bow section.

Original build-quality for any Grand Banks was very impressive. But, as is often said here on the TF, as the years go by what really matters is how a boat has been maintained and cared for, more so than how well it was put-together when it came out of the builder's yard.

Pretty much every small boat out in 20kts or more cross wind will be wet if punching through a chop and going fast enough.

My 40 Albin windshield wipers certainly got their workout. :D

I certainly like the flare of the bow on the Albin.

Cosmetically it's OK, practicality, not so much.

Nothing wrong with it looking good.

Exactly. As they say it is an important factor when selecting a boat that you look back at it with beauty when rowing away at an anchorage.

I have to be able to walk down the dock and look at my boat and feel pleased with its appearance.

Pretty much every small boat out in 20kts or more cross wind will be wet if punching through a chop and going fast enough.

I’m surprised at that. I rarely got anything on my windshield. Sometimes I’d get a little spray on the port side cabin door or the same place on the starboard side but the huge flare and wide spray rails knocked everything down.

I’m surprised at that. I rarely got anything on my windshield. Sometimes I’d get a little spray on the port side cabin door or the same place on the starboard side but the huge flare and wide spray rails knocked everything down.

Just the right combo of angle and speed and chop....

I have driven a lot of small boats working for a marina and being a teaching/delivery captain..... few survive that combo without throwing a lot of spray with 20 kts of wind that blows it back at ya.

I don't know if the Carolina boys invented the flare or not but they dadgone invented the exaggerated flare and that was designed for faster boats that could run away from the spray created before they ran into it. All of the sport fisherman I've ever run and owned did the same thing; the flare threw the spray down and out to the sides and I was past it before it got on the windshield...most of the time. Now the cabin sides and cockpits didn't fare as well, except on the really fast boats.
Our current boat; I can't say I've seen much benefit to the flare if the wind is blowing and we're running into it, other than aesthetics . No wind but choppy seas such as crossing a wake, I guess it helps.

I don't know if the Carolina boys invented the flare or not but they dadgone invented the exaggerated flare and that was designed for faster boats that could run away from the spray created before they ran into it. All of the sport fisherman I've ever run and owned did the same thing; the flare threw the spray down and out to the sides and I was past it before it got on the windshield...most of the time. Now the cabin sides and cockpits didn't fare as well, except on the really fast boats.
Our current boat; I can't say I've seen much benefit to the flare if the wind is blowing and we're running into it, other than aesthetics . No wind but choppy seas such as crossing a wake, I guess it helps.

All true.... I guess I was still thinking 6.3 knots. But I do think the chines and speed do more than bow flare except in some situations.

If running fast enough that the spray thrown to the side then blown back, but is now far enough aft...sure, little or no spray on the front of the superstructure.

All true.... I guess I was still thinking 6.3 knots. But I do think the chines and speed do more than bow flare except in some situations.

If running fast enough that the spray thrown to the side then blown back, but is now far enough aft...sure, little or no spray on the front of the superstructure.

LOL that must be the difference I cruised at 6.5 knots.

When I read Psneelds 20-kt comment, I didn't question it. But without saying it explicitly, you raise an interesting point. This gets down to fetch and duration to build an accumulated sea state. 20-kts is generally Beaufort Force 5 with white caps starting to form, with seas accumulating to 2-meters. If you're headed into seas anywhere forward of the beam, you'll be taking spray over the bow at least occasionally. But it takes time and fetch.

Peter

Last edited:
When I read Psneelds 20-kt comment, I didn't question it. But without saying it explicitly, you raise an interesting point. This gets down to fetch and duration to build an accumulated sea state. 20-kts is generally Beaufort Force 5 with white caps starting to form, with seas accumulating to 2-meters. If you're headed into seas anywhere forward of the beam, you'll be taking spray over the bow at least occasionally. But it takes time and fetch.

Peter

Really only takes as much spray that gets thrown out away from the chine and the wind blows it back...otherwise a lot of flare will most likely divert the spray away from the boat.

Some of the worst spray I remember was in the sounds behind Hatteras and the sounds of Georgia. Probably only 2-3 foot waves (otherwise I wouldn't have been out in it) but lots of wind. That's when I started thinking adding a windshield washer system....

Not really worth arguing over as the last person that I know bought a boat over bow flare above all else was....hmmmm...probably never.

This may be one of those what seemed to be a lot to me may not bother others...especially since I almost always drove from below because I was travelling in cool to cold weather.

Last edited:

Yep, at 7 knot trawler speeds, the wind drives the spray more than the bow design. We regularly would take green water thru the forward hawse holes plus wind driven spray on the cabin with our GB 36 in 5 footers on Lake Champlain. With our DeFever with a large (8’) flared bow, our PH windows get wind driven spray regularly at 20 knot winds, and we will get spray on the FB too from time to time.

Albin or Grand Banks

As an Albin owner I can only speak to them, but just looking at the GB you see that there is no flair to the bow which makes the GB a wet boat in less than gentle seas.

On our Albin there were a number of thigs built in which I don't think GB did.

1) when i went to put a windlass in the wires were already there. 2 large and 2 smaller from the wiring closet to the bow. They were there when the boat was built in '86. Still good & serviceable which saved me a bunch of boat $$$.

2) when I replace our Norcold to a Vitrifrigo I saw copper tubing close by. I ran down the tubing and found that it went up to the bridge, under the cowling. I also found 2 wells up there. Clearly, it was setup for a gas stove. Another saver.

3) the bridge is very spacial and it is above the lower helm. There is a channel put in so wires can be run from the wiring closet, under the lower helm up to the bridge.

We have a bow pulpit with 2 very strong Samson posts that come in very handy.

IF I can be of any help, PM me and we can talk.
I think other than the flared bow which seems to just push water away, from a seaworthiness standpoint the bow makes the Albin a little more seaworthy.

Peter
I’ve been out out in some slop for sure but never took anything over the bow or on the windows. The widest part of the boat was the bow flare and I really knocked everything down and away. I might get some dribbles thru the house holes but never on the windows or the bridge enclosure. Just on the side decks 2/3 of the way aft if there was a beam wind.
She was a dry boat

My 40 Albin had a windlass when I bought it...if it was a factory wiring job it was as bad and as dangerous as the entire 12V system. Sure my boat didn't catch fire...but it was as far away from ABYC standards as one could possibly engineer.

The propane copper running from the bridge to the galley was another red flag in modern times. Luckily mine had been disconnected for an electric Princess stove that was dead so I just redid the system to "modern" standards when I put the new propane stovetop in. Propane under the flybridge fairing is one of the most often flagged safety issues on surveys.

I liked my Albin, but I also rebuilt it because when it was built in 1988, it was a disaster waiting to happen. Thats why the guy who bought it from me renamed it a PSN 40 rather than an Albin 40...because it was more me than Albin (well probably not but pleased the next owner wasn't cursing me but appreciated that I knew the difference between bad and OK...not perfect).

I agree with Jay that the 40 Albin was probably drier than a Grand Banks of similar size...but I standby my comments that at some point no boat is dry ....just drier. Kinda like old kidneys..... :D

I have the identical boat to yours. I love it! I have never owned a G.B. but dream of it, don't know why. Mine has everything I need, is safe, roomy, slow, economical. Why spend twice the $$ on a G.B.?

Personally I don't think there is much difference. I get compliments every time I pull into port. What more does a capt. need?

pete

More than compliments from boaters who may like looks and not the actual boat construction and capabilities?

Again the Albin was everything I needed and wanted...just hated that because of a little PO neglect that I had to spend that much time and money making it safe and livable.

Back
Top Bottom