Grand Banks 36 single screw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun 36

Hi everybody, my name is Shaun and I have a question. I have a grand Banks 36 single screw removed the shaft and found a cutlass bearing halfway up the shaft. I understand there is a cutlass bearing at the top of the shaft and at the bottom of the shaft, but is there a third? How many cut bearings on a single screw ground 36 I look forward to your replies thank you Shaun.

Generally there is a cutlass bearing at the propeller end of tube or bearing holder. Usually there isn't one at the transmission end as either the transmission or shaft seal act as the bearing. Usually a cutlass bearing in the center of the tube means the rear cutlass bearing moved up the tube. Think the middle one in your tube isn't there by design.

Ted

Hi everybody, my name is Shaun and I have a question. I have a grand Banks 36 single screw removed the shaft and found a cutlass bearing halfway up the shaft. I understand there is a cutlass bearing at the top of the shaft and at the bottom of the shaft, but is there a third? How many cut bearings on a single screw ground 36 I look forward to your replies thank you Shaun.
If there is one up in there, you'd have to pull the shaft tube to get to it. And I don't know what exactly that would entail. You'd have to drop the rudder to get it out of the way. I have the same boat and it would be a pretty big job...

Thanks guys. I would love to know if anybody out there has ever removed the shaft log on a single screw Grand banks 36 my main question is is it a two-piece with the coupling in the middle for the cutlass or continuous piece to the housing? Plus, method of removal would be good to know thanks guys. Really appreciate your time.

Here are a couple of drawings for you. I have a 32 woodie and it shows 3 bearings. The stern tube is threaded in two sections. The center bearing held in place with set screw(s)

Attachments

• shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1
  • Shaft Log and Bearings.pdf
    463.9 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom