How to remove dinghy steering wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnEasley

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Wanderlust
Vessel Make
1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
We have a center console Rendova. It has a five spoke, stainless steel steering wheel. The davit cable caught the back of the wheel when lifting it recently and popped three of the five spoke out of their holes. It appears they were originally spot-welded in.

I managed to manhandle one of the spikes back in place but the other two are being stubborn. Either the wheel needs to be replaced or removed and taken to a machine shop.

I have removed the center nut. The wheel will not just slide off. What do I need to do to remove it? It looks like a Woodruff key on one side. Steering wheel puller? Any advice appreciated.

IMG_2158.jpgIMG_2159.jpg

Steering wheel puller would be my thought, too.

That and some penetrating oil (like Kroil or PB Blaster, and know that WD-40 is NOT a penetrating oil). The oils work best if you give some taps to the metal and reapply. The idea being the oil penetrates to a point, tapping helps break corrosion, the oil penetrates further, repeat.... Sometimes creating a dam out of plumbers putty helps keep the liquid in place. Note, resist the temptation to bang on it, you'd likely ruin the threads.

I've always found it useful to apply a thin bit of anti-seize to the connection to help avoid removal hassles later.

Any way of getting a rubber mallet behind it?

Thats a standard 3/4" shaft with a 1" per ft taper and key. Typically a wheel puller is used, but you may get lucky with some Blaster and prying.
Take care in using too much hammer on the shaft to "pop" or "loosen" the wheel. The helm mechanical's behind the dash won't take too much abuse.

:socool:

Before you use a wheel puller, drill a pilot hole in the shaft to seat the center shaft wheel puller.
Remember this trouble when you put it back together. Apply LOTS of corrosion inhibiting grease.

I had a similar stuck wheel and used a puller on it. It wasn't a perfect fit but with it I was able to get it to break loose very easily (after tons of force without the puller did nothing!). There was a Woodruff key, but I don't think that's the specific reason it was stuck. At least my guess is just because of years of pressure pulling it "on." (Mine was in a pilothouse so not corroded at all.)

Leave the nut on, but loose, and you will not damage the threads. Then use a puller to take it off. Another advantage to doing it this way is it will not jump off the shaft and send the puller flying.

Back
Top Bottom